presents for kids, and the wife...help | GTAMotorcycle.com

presents for kids, and the wife...help

EaZ8

so we are looking at taking back all the usual dolls that we buy the kids, i mean really there are 3 closets full...and we want to get them a game system.

no one in our house is big on gaming, i have a PS3 that i play once a year otherwise its a netflix box.

so, wii is getting old, whats the latest nintendo for tvs and is it still kid friendly?

now the wife...i really need a new bike so should i get hear a harly to sit on the back or a indian? im more of a harley guy myself.

now really, so we just got married this year, so first xmas as husband/wife so what should i do?

Regarding the kids, and potentially you, the Nintendo Switch is the current TV console offering, but it's also a portable one too, rather seamless. Switch because it can go from TV to portable very quickly and easily, games sound fun (Mario Odyssey is A+, for the kids and adults), they sell out tho, have been non-stop stock shortages since it was released in Toronto almost a year ago.
For the wife, go get a Ural with a sidecar but actually someone else should chime in on that. I'd prefer a Chieftain over an Electraglide tho. Don't see me on either in the next 20 years or more tho.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Don't do what a buddy did. They had just moved into a new house and she said "We've spent so much money. You don't have to by me anything."

He didn't. There were more icicles inside the house than out.

As far as "current" Nintendo consoles go, they also have the Classic NES and SNES (also in short supply but much cheaper than the switch), the Famicom equivalents (more games, official console but all games in Japanese) and the asian knockoffs (more games, some in english, much cheaper, no way you are getting one before xmas as normally shipping is months).

A friend bought a classic SNES and I was very unimpressed with the length of cord Nintendo decided to use for the controllers (probably 6'). There is no excuse for Nintendo not to use at least 10' (preferably 12'+). With a wall mounted TV you basically have to stand to play or have the console sitting in the middle of the room. boo.

What age is your kid? I'm in that "debate" as well currently. My 4 year old isnt advanced enough for the switch...but there are some kid friendly modes in games like mario kart or mario odyssey from having experienced them first hand.

There arent that many games out though... but i know i will enjoy it too and so will the wife.

The real option if i REALLY wanted to buy for my daughter would be the 2DS XL...tons of games..a lot more kid friendly games too...

I'm at a stage where i'm considering getting both and selling the 2ds xl if she doesnt like it...

and if she likes it...well... xmas bonus is coming?! (i feel like homer simpson right now)

As for the bike...does your wife like riding? Elaborate more on that.
What about getting a bike each (one cheaper one that a harley) and get her into it if she likes it already, couples that ride together stay together :p

Don't do what a buddy did. They had just moved into a new house and she said "We've spent so much money. You don't have to by me anything."

Wife speak. Translated, that means "you bloody well better buy me something."

What age is your kid? I'm in that "debate" as well currently. My 4 year old isnt advanced enough for the switch...but there are some kid friendly modes in games like mario kart or mario odyssey from having experienced them first hand.

There arent that many games out though... but i know i will enjoy it too and so will the wife.

The real option if i REALLY wanted to buy for my daughter would be the 2DS XL...tons of games..a lot more kid friendly games too...

I'm at a stage where i'm considering getting both and selling the 2ds xl if she doesnt like it...

and if she likes it...well... xmas bonus is coming?! (i feel like homer simpson right now)

As for the bike...does your wife like riding? Elaborate more on that.
What about getting a bike each (one cheaper one that a harley) and get her into it if she likes it already, couples that ride together stay together :p

In a drawer somewhere I have a DS with a pirate card. It was super easy to download games (which is good as Nintendo has a history of allowing turds as well as excellent games on their hardware). No physical modification of the DS required, just download games to a micro sd, pop the micro sd card into the game cartridge looking holder and you are off.

I’ve got a blended family of 5 Kids.

Of the 5, 3 are boys age 13, 11 & 9.

They play Smash Brothers on the wii U. It’s discontinued and replaced by the Switch.

We haven’t converted simply because all the parents, step parents and friend have the U and the kids can play no matter what house they are at. None of the kids have expressed a need for the switch....yet!

If I was starting fresh, I’d get the switch. The Mario games are kid friendly. I don’t game much. Don’t have the time. Just going by what the kids have expressed leading up to Christmas.

If you are recently married, to don’t need help with Xmas fir the wife. Just do it. Personally, I’d go Indian. And I’m an HD owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The nice thing about the Switch is that you can kick them off a TV (or one kid can kick another off a TV) and they can keep playing and the experience generally doesn't suffer much. I dunno how availability is right now, but it's still popular enough that I wouldn't hope for any deals between now and the end of the year.

Have you spent any/much time riding with your wife already?

Wife speak. Translated, that means "you bloody well better buy me something."

Made that mistake a couple years ago... It still gets brought up every now and then in a "Joking - not joking" way.

That being said, she goes the route of giving me money now which I just use to buy her her gift (lol - its a trap! - I don't really care for receiving gifts).

I just tell her "I'm terrible with buying gifts, if you don't tell me what you want, you're either getting money back, or not getting a gift at all". (I would probably figure something out anyway, but not necessarily the thing she wanted)

Has worked well so far - The system works.

That being said, the "Instant Pot" seems to be a hot item this year.

Last edited:
Made that mistake a couple years ago... It still gets brought up every now and then in a "Joking - not joking" way.

That being said, she goes the route of giving me money now which I just use to buy her her gift (lol - its a trap! - I don't really care for receiving gifts).

I just tell her "I'm terrible with buying gifts, if you don't tell me what you want, you're either getting money back, or not getting a gift at all". (I would probably figure something out anyway, but not necessarily the thing she wanted)

Has worked well so far - The system works.

That being said, the "Instant Pot" seems to be a hot item this year.
Had a great deal for it during black friday weekend. (the instant pot that is)

Wifey will tell me what she wants. And depending on how much of a self-important prick i feel like that year, i may or may not follow her advice.

That's the stupid thing....everyone buys something for the other that they may not like, just to buy something. Either you state what exactly you want or don't get miffed if you get nothing.

I've got gigs worth of DS games. Swap them into the "cartridge" and keep the good ones or rotate them thru the active use group. Haven't kept up with them for many years though, so nothing really new.

@GreyGhost extension cables are like $7 @ Game Hoard. We have them for almost all of our controllers.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

That's the stupid thing....everyone buys something for the other that they may not like, just to buy something. Either you state what exactly you want or don't get miffed if you get nothing.

I've got gigs worth of DS games. Swap them into the "cartridge" and keep the good ones or rotate them thru the active use group. Haven't kept up with them for many years though, so nothing really new.

Specific part numbers are nice.

If your kids have moved out a nice present from them would for them to take away some of their junk. I want space for Christmas.

@GreyGhost extension cables are like $7 @ Game Hoard. We have them for almost all of our controllers.

Sent from my purple GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I thought the classic systems (the new mini versions of the old systems) had hard wired controllers? I didn't look closely at it so I might be wrong. Good if it can be fixed, still a fail for shipping that way.

I thought the classic systems (the new mini versions of the old systems) had hard wired controllers? I didn't look closely at it so I might be wrong. Good if it can be fixed, still a fail for shipping that way.
Oh. I'm not sure as I haven't looked that closely at them either. (not getting one as we have the Retron (sp?) 2. So my suggestion may not be valid. Sorry.
But all the Nintendo cords seem to be 6ft ish. 10ft cords would be better imo.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

Oh. I'm not sure as I haven't looked that closely at them either. (not getting one as we have the Retron (sp?) 2. So my suggestion may not be valid. Sorry.
But all the Nintendo cords seem to be 6ft ish. 10ft cords would be better imo.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

When the NES Classic Mini came out they had a 3ft cord....thankfully there was an extension that I bought with mine that was about 10ft or so. Made life easier. Then I sold it. LoL.

so the girls are age 5 and 9.
the 9 year old has her own android tablet (when she isnt in trouble, so ya ive had it for about a month haha)
the 5 year old i want to get a android tablet for so she can watch movies in the truck. but is there any content i can download for her age? games, apps that help them learn...etc..

Amazon has a kids tablet but cant find much info on it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J90MOVY/ref=twister_B01M4NU4OM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

i came home with a gift card order list, shes going to go pick out boots and tell me where they are from then ill order the gift card fro her.. then 4% goes to charity.
also doing the same thing for other family members who are hard to buy for and at least there is a charity kickback.

so the girls are age 5 and 9.
the 9 year old has her own android tablet (when she isnt in trouble, so ya ive had it for about a month haha)
the 5 year old i want to get a android tablet for so she can watch movies in the truck. but is there any content i can download for her age? games, apps that help them learn...etc..

Amazon has a kids tablet but cant find much info on it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J90MOVY/ref=twister_B01M4NU4OM?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

i came home with a gift card order list, shes going to go pick out boots and tell me where they are from then ill order the gift card fro her.. then 4% goes to charity.
also doing the same thing for other family members who are hard to buy for and at least there is a charity kickback.

Friends have tablets for their <5 yo's with lots of content to keep them busy (a favorite is a dumb game where you give dogs a bath and decorate them, not sure much learning happens there). Costco had Tab A's on sale for $180 or so. That plus a case and you are good to go. I would normally say avoid any "kids" tablets, most are complete crap, but the reviews for the link you posted show that things have gotten better.

Personally, I move the older slower stuff to kid duty (currently iPad 1 and S4 used occasionally) so if/when it gets broken, it's no big deal as they were basically useless anyway. This may not a great strategy for xmas though.

i hear ya wit the "kids" tablet
the oldest has a acer tablet that i got a costco last year and it was about $100 bucks...kinds the price point where i wont get mad if it ends up in the lake at the cottage or if she takes it in the bath with her...all strong possibilities...

Back
Top Bottom