Employment outlook for CAD/Revit | GTAMotorcycle.com

Employment outlook for CAD/Revit

Riceburner

Wondering what the employment outlook is for someone with CAD/Revit education. Thinking of going into that direction. Anyone in the related fields?

CAD as in computer-aided design?

Almost everyone that I deal with is either using AutoCAD or SolidWorks.

I've seen lots of people in similar roles in building/development. Most are underpaid and overworked and businesses churn through staff as it is easier to replace them then pay them well. I am sure there are exceptions (eg. maybe automotive treats them differently?). Sadly the barrier to entry is pretty low so there are a ton of people that can do the job. I would look at specialties within the field to try to improve your prospects (eg. Revit, FEA modelling, NC programming etc).

Until recently, many architects were still using cad, more have started to take up revit now.

I've been working in AutoCAD and Revit for the past couple years now in architecture, and there's a lot of search for knowledgable Revit users (outside and inside of the program)
Regarding getting employment opportunities, as said above, there's small barriers to get into the field so lots of competition, but lots of positions too. Not much for pay tho.
I would imagine the programs in a programming field (modelling) or automotive industry to be a relatively different outlook. Learning programs is cool, lots of free tools online if you're willing to look and teach yourself.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Ive been using CAD , Land Development Desktop , Civil 3d for years. There is great demand for people who are qualified in their use as they relate to the Civil Engineering field. But knowing CAD alone isnt going to get you far. At least in the Engineering field. Its just a tool that everyone is expected to know how to use.

Saw your question yesterday and spoke with a few people at work and also with the designated CAD trainer for our staff and here's their response...

If you're looking to do CAD/REVIT only then don't even bother. The market is saturated and no one cares about people that just do CAD as it's not overly hard to get into. The money and demand is for engineers that can not only do the design and theoretical work, but can also turn that item/concept into reality within a 3D environment. So it's more of a requirement as a supplement to an engineering degree / working life.

I'm not into it, and never utilized it but a huge concept that we're pushing forward now on a new project is BIM (Building Integration Management) which is a massive undertaking on the front end, but makes life way easier during construction.

If you want to do CAD for the sake of CAD and being a drafter, I'd look into something else. As a hobby, sure. Actually I want to take it up as well but need to find the time.

I'll add to what mimico and 250R said. Every engineer has had 4 years of experience with CAD, and are usually pretty good at it. Just drawing and assembling stuff is easy, its the analysis, like FEA or flow sim, which needs to be done after and must be verified by someone who is "qualified" (aka an engineer).

I've used SolidsWorks and Siemens NX 11 for the last 4 years. NX is an amazing program, and should be for the $9k/license. I'd get your hands on a legal copy of SolidWorks and mess around. It's not really a field I'd find interesting enough to strive for though.

Another vote here for CAD for the sake of CAD is a career mistake. If you go to school for Engineering or Technology and are also proficient at CAD, it is a great way to help get you in the door (as a tool to use on the job or as the first job itself) for you to eventually move up and beyond.

Back
Top Bottom