Buying a helmet | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a helmet

I wanted to chime in with my comments. Almost every helmet maker uses polycarbon/plastic shells for their low end helmets. The higher end helmets are use a fiberglass or some combination of fiberglass/Kevlar cloth for the shell. My most recent favourite helmets have been Shark (made in Europe and the higher end ones are fiberglass shell) that had a ECE rating and Scorpion. I bought a new Scorpion EXO-2000 (fiberglass and Snell 2015 rated), crashed and hit the helmet on the ground and had no headache/concussion. Helmet was damaged but saved my head. I went out and bought two more to replace the one that was wrecked and one family member. parillaguy

I use Bose noise cancelling earbuds on most rides. They work really well; much better than the foam disposable ear plugs. I'd like a quieter helmet so that the plugs will work better if the battery on the earbuds conk out. Also, my eyes get really red and dry in my current helmet.
I thought there was a Snell 2015?

Sent from my X5max_PRO using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Absolutely love my Bose noise cancelling earbuds. Never had them conk out on me.
Have tried many, many earbuds and the Bose works out as the best. Got them from Premium outlet at Steeles and Trafalgar. $100.0 off as long as I wanted white. Really who cares. I also tested out their Warranty as the cable frayed coming out from the box. Service was #1.
I also ride with either a Shoei Neotec or a Caberg Modular. Combined together Bose noise cancelling makes quite a difference. No headaches after riding for at least 8 hours.

got to actually test out my helmet for the first time this year, landed head first from a highside, was wearing an Arai Corsair - X, walked away without so much as a headache. could a cheaper helmet have done the job? maybe, but you'd have a hard time convincing me to replace it with anything short of the same.

Last edited:
Is there even such a thing as a quiet helmet? I have a fairly high end helmet (Bell Star) and it's still really loud. I just wear ear plugs on longer rides. I've never tried a Schuberth C3 Pro but I doubt it's quiet enough at highway speeds to not require ear plugs.

Yes there is,,,,and you would be surprised by how much quieter they are..

If I’m using ear plugs, it really don’t matter what helmet is on my head, they are all more or less quiet..

If HJC fits well the RPHA 11 or maybe an old stock RPHA 10 would be a good bet. As above solid colours without graphics are cheaper.

Bought a white RPHA 10 from Fort Nine for decent price and custom painted last winter.

Money spent doesn’t directly relate to quiet or comfort.

Some helmets are light but let in a lot of noise too.

Personally, I found Shoei to fit well and their visor design is very quiet even when open a crack.

Have a HJC and it’s quiet but also heavy and find my neck hurts after a longer ride. (Like half a day or more). The liner material also shows notable wear compared to my Shoei. And I worn the Shoei way more.

I bought my Shoei from a member here for a decent price. Some might voice concerns about used equipment etc. And that is fair.

I found the gear to be in top shape and was priced well below anything I could find new. And it wasn’t old and didn’t appear to be involved in any incident.

Definitely try some on before buying. Wear it for a bit. Something that seems to fit initially may develop some hot spots after some time worn.

I installed a Sena headset in the Shoei and it performs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's not as simple as one brand being more quiet than another. The top of line Shoei is louder than some of their lower end models because of the amount of airflow.

After having worn the Shoei RF1000, then the RF1100, I just picked up the GT Air yesterday. Seems like a really well made helmet. It's really well vented, has a great sun shield mechanism and the design of the padding especially around the neck seems like it will really limit the internal wind noise that comes from the updraft. I think it also came out 4 years ago originally, so if it fits your head shape well, then it's one worth checking out vs some of the brand new models at higher price points.

I got an old Shoei RF1000, looking to buy a new helmet for next season. I have seen some VOSS helmets, look nice and have seen positive reviews of them - anyone have similar experience/opinions? Or can someone recommend me a helmet in the price range of 300-400 CAD? Cheers

Maybe higher then your range but I have 1 season on a Shoei gt air and think its a great lid. No neck strain, tinted visor is fantastic.

I have a Shoei GT Air - it was ok, but I didn't like how the tinted visor would fog up badly when cold, unlike the pin-lock clear outer visor, even with the breath deflector installed. Switched to an old school looking Bell Moto 3 with Ride 100% goggles and never looked back. Smaller, lighter, quieter and doesn't fog up. The removable peak visor also helps blocking the sun out of my eyes. Looks cool too, get tons of compliments on it.

Before you buy a helmet check out its rating at this site. In particular, they test for modular helmets that actually stay closed in an accident.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

I have a Shoei GT Air...Switched to an old school looking Bell Moto 3 with Ride 100% goggles and never looked back.
Have you done any long rides with the new setup? For around town I think it would be great, but I can't imagine doing sustained speed with goggles.

Have you done any long rides with the new setup? For around town I think it would be great, but I can't imagine doing sustained speed with goggles.
Not more than 3 or 4 hours, but it was fine for that. I found the GT Air got me sore before that, too snug after a while, even tried thinner cheek pads. I might try another Shoei sometime, like an RF1200, but with a transitions pinlock visor instead of a helmet with an internal visor.

If you are biased towards an HJC I highly recommend the FG-17 Helmet. You can get some nice graphic ones now for under $300. the chin curtain isn't included (blocks airflow and noise), but you can get one from Fortnine for $5. I have both a HJC FG-17 Helmet and a Shoei RF-1200 and I use the FG-17 helmet more often. Try on all brands at the bike show in Jan as they all fit slightly different. Good luck!

Before you buy a helmet check out its rating at this site. In particular, they test for modular helmets that actually stay closed in an accident.

https://sharp.dft.gov.uk/

Looking up my existing helmet is part of why I'm shopping for a new lid. In defense of my cheap helmet, it did save my noggin when I went over my handlebars a couple of years back. On the other hand, I once picked up a guy who's helmet looked fine, but his brain wasn't doing so good. I didn't notice what model of helmet he was wearing, but when you run from the po-po, bad things happen.
I appreciate the comments, and I've got a little more insight in looking when I'm at the bike show.

If you are biased towards an HJC I highly recommend the FG-17 Helmet. You can get some nice graphic ones now for under $300. the chin curtain isn't included (blocks airflow and noise), but you can get one from Fortnine for $5. I have both a HJC FG-17 Helmet and a Shoei RF-1200 and I use the FG-17 helmet more often. Try on all brands at the bike show in Jan as they all fit slightly different. Good luck!
I love my fg17, fairly light and flows a ton of air. Not great in cool weather (airflow) and definitely not overly quiet (airflow again). I also found that I can't mount helmet speakers as the ear pockets are to small.
I bought mine a Royal, $225 or so and included clear and dark smoked visors.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Personally, I suggest you try the Airoh st701, it’s light and quite, fitted with sun visor.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 GTAMotorcycle.com

Nice helmets Airoh's.Here's one from my shelf.A few years old tho.
PC090184_zpsmd2ebitg.jpg

Back
Top Bottom