Buying a helmet | GTAMotorcycle.com

Buying a helmet

jeff96

I'm finding that my entry level HJC probably a lot louder and drafty than a more expensive helmet. I want to do some long rides next year and I'm researching different options.
The HJC CL17 seems to have good reviews and is a price that I can easily live with. I'm a little biased towards HJC only because my current helmet fits well and is comfortable. I don't know if that means other models in the line would have a similar fit.
At what price level can I expect to get the best value? For example, I'd expect a $200 helmet to be noticeably quieter and lighter than a $100 helmet. I'd also expect a Snell rating vs just DOT. Is there a significant advantage to paying more? I realize that 'you get what you pay for' is a truism, but I don't want to pay for status or cool graphics. I do want to pay for a Snell approval, quietness, fit, and effective adjustable ventilation

To avoid paying extra for graphics, get a solid colour. I used to wear HJC and tried Shoei and they fit me great. I currently wear a Shoei RF1100 and will buy a RF1200 when this one is done. Since the bike shows are just around the corner, the best thing you can do is to hit one of them up (the January show is the best for deals on last years models) and try on many different brands and models to see what fits you best. If HJC is the best for you, they also have higher end HJC's as well.
Generally speaking, you will get quieter helmets and better built features (like venting) on a more expensive helmet. Personally, I would be looking to spend between $400-$600 for a good long distance helmet. Pay attention to the weight of the helmet as well because long days could mean sore necks.

for that list of qualities, particularly Snell
think you'd find little choice in the $200 range

the January bike show at Int Center is the good one for gear
be hundreds of helmets to try on and see what you like
and good deals to be had

I plan on helmet shopping there too
and I've got a wish list a bit more demanding than yours

Shane is bang on with price(ish)

The other factor he mentioned is fit, Arai is a manufacturer that doesn't fit me regardless of the liner shape. All helmets will soften up, but pay attention to what it feels like on your head. Pressure points will matter on a long ride. And noise as you mentioned

Last edited:
Personally, I suggest you try the Airoh st701, it’s light and quite, fitted with sun visor.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 GTAMotorcycle.com

A good pair of earplugs can make a huge difference when it comes to helmet noise and noise-related fatigue.

Also look into the ECE standard for helmets. Snell 2005 is no longer around, but it's shadow lingers.

A good pair of earplugs can make a huge difference when it comes to helmet noise and noise-related fatigue.

You want hearing protection on a long distance ride anyways.

I use Bose noise cancelling earbuds on most rides. They work really well; much better than the foam disposable ear plugs. I'd like a quieter helmet so that the plugs will work better if the battery on the earbuds conk out. Also, my eyes get really red and dry in my current helmet.
I thought there was a Snell 2015?

Sent from my X5max_PRO using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Schuberth C3, C4
The new one by BMW is nice as well

I purchased the C4 this year, did a 3 hour ride a few days after I got it, absolutely loved it, light, quiet, great ventilation, modular, sun shade, etc....

If you don’t want to spend the cash on new, look for a used one or last years C3 model

I have no regret on the cash I paid, for me so far it was worth it.

I use Bose noise cancelling earbuds on most rides. They work really well; much better than the foam disposable ear plugs. I'd like a quieter helmet so that the plugs will work better if the battery on the earbuds conk out. Also, my eyes get really red and dry in my current helmet.
I thought there was a Snell 2015?

Sent from my X5max_PRO using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

Yes, and they will have stopped making Snell 2010, by now as well.
I just wanted to mention that there was an alternative in ECE, and why it was possibly better for a couple of years.

Consider buying a helmet on Kijiji. Since riding season is pretty much done for most of us, there is lots of time till spring to do your homework(your head shape, rating pass/current ece, dot, snell, etc) and wait for that Kijiji deal. btw I also have a CL 17 (size M) , only helmet that would fit in my locker at work, but now i wear my shoei qwest.

An $800 helmet is no safer than a $400 helmet.But a $400 helmet is for sure safer than a $60 show special helmet and a lot safer than none at all.Take a trip thru a head trauma hospital ward.I've spent the last 6 weeks visiting my wife in one.It's thought provoking.

Personally, I suggest you try the Airoh st701, it’s light and quite, fitted with sun visor.

从我的 iPhone 发送,使用 GTAMotorcycle.com
Is Airoh available in Canada?

via Tapatalk

Any helmet with ECE or Snell approval is a good helmet.
Go with what fits your head and your budget best.
You'll see a date stamp somewhere on the inside or outside of the lid, savings can be had if you don't mind one that's New Old Stock (sitting in a warehouse somewhere for a while) or graphics.
Wait for the shows, buying online can be a crap shoot.

Top of the line Nexx helmet fits my noggin the best, ymmv. The lighter the helmet the more they cost.

Money spent doesn’t directly relate to quiet or comfort.

Some helmets are light but let in a lot of noise too.

Personally, I found Shoei to fit well and their visor design is very quiet even when open a crack.

Have a HJC and it’s quiet but also heavy and find my neck hurts after a longer ride. (Like half a day or more). The liner material also shows notable wear compared to my Shoei. And I worn the Shoei way more.

I bought my Shoei from a member here for a decent price. Some might voice concerns about used equipment etc. And that is fair.

I found the gear to be in top shape and was priced well below anything I could find new. And it wasn’t old and didn’t appear to be involved in any incident.

Definitely try some on before buying. Wear it for a bit. Something that seems to fit initially may develop some hot spots after some time worn.

I installed a Sena headset in the Shoei and it performs great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Is there even such a thing as a quiet helmet? I have a fairly high end helmet (Bell Star) and it's still really loud. I just wear ear plugs on longer rides. I've never tried a Schuberth C3 Pro but I doubt it's quiet enough at highway speeds to not require ear plugs.

Is there even such a thing as a quiet helmet? I have a fairly high end helmet (Bell Star) and it's still really loud. I just wear ear plugs on longer rides. I've never tried a Schuberth C3 Pro but I doubt it's quiet enough at highway speeds to not require ear plugs.

Mostly depends on how fast you are going.Not sarcastic

Back
Top Bottom