Where to get a battery health check. | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where to get a battery health check.

MacDoc

Site Supporter
Home visit mechanic -

Thought the CBF issue was battery but even with a fresh Vstrom battery hooked up the cold blooded ***** just would not keep firing ....tried to ....multiple times almost caught.
The Vstrom battery cranked it very well but all the suggest tricks did not work.

There is a history of the issue and no straightforward answer.

So I'll eliminate the old battery as an issue by getting it checked...anyone in the west end have a place?

••••

anyone know a reliable mechanic that can install plugs onsite. Warmed garage and workspace.

Last edited:
Yeah, Canadian Tire. Just go in and tell them to do a pull test. They usually do it for free.

You stated in the other thread that the battery is a 2011. IMO its only a matter of time before it’s going to fail, and probably at the most inconvenient time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How thick is your oil?, my 86 Radian would never start when it got cold. parked inside at work, and all was fine. The bike was new.

How thick is your oil?, my 86 Radian would never start when it got cold. parked inside at work, and all was fine. The bike was new.

yup, my bike is stored indoors, but it's not heated
winterized it the other day, in the AM, it was -5 C
even though the battery was right up - had been on a tender
engine was very hard to start and get going

Doesn't the test with the vstrom battery indicate that you need to look elsewhere for your problem?

Not for certain .... this engine can get seriously stupid at times - combine a weakesh battery, cold temps
There are numerous posts on the problem on the CBF site about the model not starting or hard to start after sitting.
Unlike my other bikes - this one tends to run rough for a block or so then settle down for the day. We'll warm up the garage and give it a more thorough shot with the Vstrom battery ( it's kludge as the Strom Battery is too large ). I've also got the CBF battery on charge as well.....might try that first put back into place..

- from the manual. ..it's across two columns so reads funny.

Starting procedure
Flooded engine
This motorcycle has a fuel-injection engine with an automatic fast start system. Follow the procedure indicated below.
If the engine fails to start after repeated attempts, it may be flooded.
Any air temperature
1. Leave the engine stop switch set to (RUN)
2. Open throttle fully.
3. Press the start button for 5 seconds.
4. Follow the normal starting procedure.

5. If the engine starts with unstable idle, open the throttle slightly.
• Press the starter button with the throttle completely closed.
The engine will not start if the throttle is fully open (because the electronic control module cuts off the fuel supply).

If the engine does not start, wait for 10 seconds, then follow steps 1-4 again.

I've not ridden the CBF this far into winter before so I'd rather be sure the battery is the heart of the issue.
If the battery checks out fine on the tester ...then I'll likely get it towed to the dealer that fixed the stator under warranty ...

If the battery is iffy I'll snag the Shorai tomorrow. I had asked the Honda dealer to replace the plugs due to the rough running cold but he thought it was stator related and said the bike ran smoothly for him so I let it go.

Since the Strom is sold I wouldn't mind getting the bike through a thorough check since its near 35k km. Cetainly if the date code read is correct ....the battery is due.

I'd just like to get the bike running on the spare vstrom battery first. It came very close and was even on all cylinders but didn't stick. :(
my AntiGravity booster is now full charged so might put that on for an bit more ooophm. I did discover it's not really possible to get the jaws on the terminals properly the way the terminals are tucked in so will find some alligator clips to carry with a narrower jaw.

Thanks for CT info....

Bit of a clue from the Biffer site that this might be a combination of factors.

Ah, some of the old threads are still good threads and :020: for finding Trefoils long and detailed report on Iridium plugs. I put my four pennies worth as to my experiences of the Iridium's somewhere above and certainly I have not experienced the dreaded 'flooding' starting issue since I changed.

Last edited:
Definitely replacing the battery ....full charge and it only tried to start the bike for a couple of minutes ( to no good end tho once more a bit of attempt.

Will leave it overnight in a warming garage and try it with the Vstrom battery tomorrow.

Will pick up a Shorai I think tomorrow.

Can't get an appointment with the mechanic ....he has 30 bikes before he can get to mine !!!!!
I will chat with the Honda dealer tho in the morning ....I'd still rather Adrienne did the work.

Canadian Tire at Mavis and Britannia, ask them to do a load test on your battery, should be free of charge, and if they are not busy you will be in and out quickly, and if they are busy, it's always fun to walk around the store for a bit, you never know what you will find on sale....

Don't forget these guys for battery

http://www.saskbattery.com/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMI6uKpubbw1wIVXJ7ACh2pyg5LEAAYASAAEgI4ZvD_BwE

I ordered my Yuasa, it was the cheapest in price and delivered to my door....

ahhh it seems they do not have Shorai...

Last edited:
Check out:
vencon.com

My friend Marc is an electrical engineer who designs battery analyzers. High tech stuff but he's got useful info on batteries on his site.

Is you mechanic the former Governor General?

The bloody Honda dealer in Milton is also backed up the Ying Yang with bikes...

Two things ....as it's not a battery issue at this point ....

Where to get Iridium plugs for this 2009 CBF1000a ....even just a pointer to who has Irdium available as getting the correct part seems a bit of a mystery on the CBF forum.

anyone know a reliable mechanic that can install plugs onsite. Warmed garage and workspace.

FFS......fickle ***** finally caught ......wound it out a bit ......restarted fine ....arrrrrrrgh.
Now still chasing plugs and definitely needed the full pop of the battery.

Did a slight variation of the clearing procedure.
The Shorai just arrived too.

Last edited:
Got a set from the US coming in on Wednesday - fair bit cheaper than Canada.

BUT ..... got the bike running on the Vstrom battery finally and here's where the tale does not end happily ...so far.

Put the Shorai in ...nice fit ...figured the terminal configuration was the same ...hooked up the ground ( or so I thought)
Went to hook up what I thought was positive....nice bright spark :(
The Shorai mounts with the terminals at the bottom so I had the polarity reversed and be damned if I can find what fuse blew.

sigh ....figured it must be the main fuse but looks okay

Looks like I wasn't alone in my mistake.

Shorai LFX14A1-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron Powersports Battery ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Shorai-LFX14A1-BS12-Extreme.../dp/B0056H6CP4
Shorai LFX14A1-BS12 Extreme Rate Lithium Iron Powersports Battery: Amazon. co.uk: Car & Motorbike. ... All these options and sizes allow Shorai LFX to offer a " drop-in" installation for most Motorcycles. Battery ... Fortunately, there is enough slack in my bike's battery cables to reach in the reversed polarity orientation.

Back
Top Bottom