Interested in riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Interested in riding

OrisV

So I've never rode a motorcycle in my life, but it's something that I've always been interested in as a kid, I'm now 18 and starting to save up for my first bike. So I guess what I'm asking is what kind of bike do you think I should get to start riding, something cheap so I can get used to riding a bike, and then after that what should I get once I'm more "advanced". I was planing on getting an on/off road bike that's used, so I was wondering if any of you guys and gals knew any bikes that would be perfect for me, I'm pretty short only about 5'5-5'6 if that helps at all. Anything around $3000-$5000 is my current price range, I don't know if that's too low or too high, so I guess that can be changed.

I also want to know some of the pros and cons you guys have had from riding a bike, like do you guys face a lot of "biker stigma" or anything like that, I wanna know the experience you've had riding a bike over the years!

Thanks for reading!
~Andrew

Last edited:
Here start reading.....

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?203710-New-motorcyclist

also head over to here....

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?28-Insurance

then look here on where everyone meets,,,of course not now but in the new year.....

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/forumdisplay.php?53-Weekly-and-or-Regional-Rides

and if you need a small displacement bike my buddy might still have his 250, his wife used to learn on it just last year, now she is on a Harley,,,don't ask

the 250 might be available,but I would have to ask him

Since you have never ridden a motorcycle before, I suggest not buying a bike until you have.

Try riding off-road first to see if you really like it.

There are businesses that do this and will rent you the bike and all gear...and teach you how to ride for a half-day or full-day session.

Trail Tours is one that comes to mind, and there is also a place up near Horseshoe Resort.

Yup. Check out various riding courses for the spring.

You’ll get some seat time. Depending on the school, try some different learning bikes.

After that, it may help determine a direction to go in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First thing to do would be to scrape together some gear.
There's a couple of shows coming up where there are a few stores represented, and gear for new riders can be found at a discount.

The second thing would be to book a course in the Spring. That way you can see if you even like motorcycling, before invoking a large cost.
Work backwards from the course date, to see when you need to pass your M1/G1 written test.
Also, if you pass the course, you have four years to learn; just don't wait until the last minute.

Thirdly, get some insurance quotes, before jumping into a purchase.

Fourthly, upgrade your gear, if you got stuff that was good enough for low speed parking lot exercises, but not good enough for the highway.

If you want to see if you like off-road, you could get as a xmas present of bday gift a Trail tours or Smart Adventures gift card.

They teach you how to ride off road and provide bike, equipment, guide.

My 18 yr old wants a bike. I will not allow him on anything over 500cc. Insurance will be a factor....so even a 600 Seca2 would probably be out, even though it's not a higher power 600. Would get used that is as cheap as possible while being mechanically sound, not worried about cosmetics as it may get dropped and it's only the first bike, not the last.

First thing to do would be to scrape together some gear.
There's a couple of shows coming up where there are a few stores represented, and gear for new riders can be found at a discount.

The second thing would be to book a course in the Spring. That way you can see if you even like motorcycling, before invoking a large cost.
Work backwards from the course date, to see when you need to pass your M1/G1 written test.
Also, if you pass the course, you have four years to learn; just don't wait until the last minute.

Thirdly, get some insurance quotes, before jumping into a purchase.

Fourthly, upgrade your gear, if you got stuff that was good enough for low speed parking lot exercises, but not good enough for the highway.

I'd do the insurance quotes first. No point in having gear if you can't afford to insure even a 250.

Gear cost for me was an $80 Snell full face helmet. Everything else could be repurposed. Jean jacket, jeans, leather gloves, leather boots and rain jacket. It depends on your risk tolerance.

What's your monthly budget for insurance?

Insurance on a MC is a 12 month a year expense, even if you're only riding for 6-9 of them, so keep that in mind.

At 18 insurance will not be cheap, but depending on your desires for what bike you want that'll make a big difference. That'd be my next question - are you willing to ride a 250 cruiser for your first few years (your likely cheapest option), looking for a similar CC sportbike (more costly), or are you not willing to sacrifice on your choice of bike and want a higher CC sportbike? The latter may be completely unaffordable at your age and skill level.

Take a motorcycle course to see if its even for you.

Afterwards shop around insurance and see what your affordable options are. If there aren't really many i'd buy a cheap scooter/moped in rough shape, insure it and park it for a year or two. After that go back to looking at bikes and you should see your rates have come down.

Good luck

If there aren't really many i'd buy a cheap scooter/moped in rough shape, insure it and park it for a year or two.

If you're gonna insure something...you might as well ride it. Even a moped will get you from A to B and give you valuable 2 wheel experience in the end.

So I've never rode a motorcycle in my life, but it's something that I've always been interested in as a kid, I'm now 18 and starting to save up for my first bike. So I guess what I'm asking is what kind of bike do you think I should get to start riding, something cheap so I can get used to riding a bike, and then after that what should I get once I'm more "advanced". I was planing on getting an on/off road bike that's used, so I was wondering if any of you guys and gals knew any bikes that would be perfect for me, I'm pretty short only about 5'5-5'6 if that helps at all. Anything around $3000-$5000 is my current price range, I don't know if that's too low or too high, so I guess that can be changed.

I also want to know some of the pros and cons you guys have had from riding a bike, like do you guys face a lot of "biker stigma" or anything like that, I wanna know the experience you've had riding a bike over the years!

Thanks for reading!
~Andrew

You might be able to find a decent Suzuki TS185
The one you want will be barely ridden and stuck away in the back of somebody's heated garage since the 1970's
They are cheap to buy, cheap as anything to insure, easy to work on and perfect for learning on, would be ideal for bopping around Toronto, I rode one there for decades.

"biker stigma" yes, stay away from bikers, they have no appreciation for small dirt bikes, only Harley's ;)

If you're gonna insure something...you might as well ride it. Even a moped will get you from A to B and give you valuable 2 wheel experience in the end.

I don't disagree, but if money is tight and one cant afford the operating costs this is a neat trick to start building a positive insurance history.

Back
Top Bottom