Where is the moto industry headed? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where is the moto industry headed?

There WILL BE more boosted models. More power and better emissions. The government and insurance companies will soon prevent us from being able to afford motorcycles. We need a revolt before this happens but all the public sector workers just keep re-ellecting the same criminals.

Electric. Euro 5 is on the way. Euro 6 shortly after that. Many locales are mulling bans on internal combustion in the not-too-distant future, cities (e.g. London, Paris); China, Germany and Norway have floated the notion at national-levels. And we all know whatever happens "over there" is eventually adopted "over here."

The 600 market dried up and manufacturers turned out the lights on them as a result. I think the same will come for pretty much any petrol bike eventually, at least in Europe and North America.

Big shake-ups and consolidations coming, I think. I doubt Harley will survive the transition. Japanese makes will likely merge. Lesser manufacturers will die off. Big guys (BMW) will likely walk away from what will be a small market, low-margin vehicles with huge overheads (engineering, capital etc.) There may be more China-made E-bikes. Maybe an upstart American or two will try, sputter and fail.

Gizmos and toys will abound. Lots of connectivity, entertainment and **** for hipster ****wads like this guy:

44229962_l-Copy.jpg

TFT instruments will give way to cell-phone mounts. Helmets will connect to the bike. Gear will become smart, with crash sensors, more practical airbags, telemetry. Maybe more effective active cooling and heating. Who knows?

Hard to imagine what insurance will do in the future. If the driving pool eventually goes down (in favor of, say, ride sharing or public transit etc) and if "smart cars" (autonomous and/or more effective accident prevention etc) appear I suspect the insurance companies' current economic model breaks; revenues will drop as risk drops and this means increased rates for those left, like us and homeowners.

Get your SRT Hellcats, 750 HP Corvettes and S1KRRs while you can coz that ****'s going away soon.

The government and insurance companies will soon prevent us from being able to afford motorcycles. We need a revolt before this happens but all the public sector workers just keep re-ellecting the same criminals.

The provincial government must be shamed into a full and open inquiry into auto/MC insurance for sure.
The way to make that happen is to be vocal at election time and VOTE.
Blaming the public sector workers for the ills of this province smacks of tinfoil hats and silent, black helicopters.
On what, Mr. Assassin, do you propound this theory ?

Can't speak for theassassin but I suspect it's that public sector workers (front line workers, public works, teachers, nurses etc etc), along with immigrants and the GTA in general form a voting bloc large enough to support the Liberals in perpetuity (esp. of late), particularly so when a PC platform even thinks about mentioning government downsizing, program cuts and the like. For this bloc, it's about self-preservation and entitlement, not good governance.

When is comes to insurance rates, it comes down to dollars. If manufactures can’t move product because consumers can’t afford insurance, they will exit or produce products consumers can enjoy. Water craft or others in the leisure space.

Quads, dirt and others that don’t require licence for the road.

It’s a challenge because even the folks with disposable income won’t be able to afford it from a beginners perspective.

The USA still has sizeable markets and reasonable insurance so it’s not going to kill the Motorcycle industry in North America entirely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
We all ***** about the US but one thing they are not, is a nanny state

We all ***** about the US but one thing they are not, is a nanny state

I always laugh when I hear this.

Go to a strip bar in the USA and they won’t trust you to have a beer or bourbon and view a naked lady. Drink a club soda and you can view her topless.

Travel to Southern states with “dry” counties and try and find a place to have a burger and beer.

There are more federal agencies overseeing American citizens, I can’t keep count. Homeland, ATF, NSA, CIA, FBI, etc.

They claim to be the land of the free but, I’ll stick with Canada.

I always laugh when I hear this.

Go to a strip bar in the USA and they won’t trust you to have a beer or bourbon and view a naked lady. Drink a club soda and you can view her topless.

Travel to Southern states with “dry” counties and try and find a place to have a burger and beer.

There are more federal agencies overseeing American citizens, I can’t keep count. Homeland, ATF, NSA, CIA, FBI, etc.

They claim to be the land of the free but, I’ll stick with Canada.

They also let 18 year olds ride SS with peanuts on insurance and let people buy guns
And also have year round riding

Price of bikes is going to kill the market unless the Chinese get into the act more. $7000 for a 250cc off the showroom floor? What kid has that kind of cash? I think the sport bike market will shrink, the cruiser market will shrink and the standard motorcycle will come back in a big way. Also, ADVs are the new way for all-round touring and commuting. I'd like to say the youth market is the future but what youth? There aren't any kids around anymore save for the ones we import from other countries, and they want cars. Anyway, I'm happy riding what I have now. Too old to worry about trends, other than insurance rates.

They also let 18 year olds ride SS with peanuts on insurance and let people buy guns
And also have year round riding

huh??? how does that support your nanny state argument??

The provincial government must be shamed into a full and open inquiry into auto/MC insurance for sure.
The way to make that happen is to be vocal at election time and VOTE.
Blaming the public sector workers for the ills of this province smacks of tinfoil hats and silent, black helicopters.

lol, our provincial government needs to be shamed into a full and open inquiry into lots of things, I wouldn't start from insurance tho

I always **** on Royal Enfield but if enough other people buy them and are satisfied with their reliability i might look into getting the new 650s just to jump on the retro bike bandwagon but for a lot cheaper than a triumph

Price of bikes is going to kill the market unless the Chinese get into the act more. $7000 for a 250cc off the showroom floor? What kid has that kind of cash? I think the sport bike market will shrink, the cruiser market will shrink and the standard motorcycle will come back in a big way. Also, ADVs are the new way for all-round touring and commuting. I'd like to say the youth market is the future but what youth? There aren't any kids around anymore save for the ones we import from other countries, and they want cars. Anyway, I'm happy riding what I have now. Too old to worry about trends, other than insurance rates.

If anything, the beginner market has improved exponentially in the past few years. I started riding in '06. From memory, there were only three beginner bikes back then. The EX250, EX500, GS500. All three were old and antiquated even then. All three were expensive for what they were. I think a decent GS500 that wasn't a basketcase was $3-3500, the EX series weren't much better. A used GS500F that had "modern sportbike" fairings was $4500 or so. These days, you can pickup a decent Ninja 250 for $2-2500. There are crap ton of good entry level bikes at reasonable used prices available now. I find myself thinking about the KTM RC390 every so often, and it's a beginner bike!

There was almost nothing in the standard fun bike category back then, outside of cruisers, it was supersport or nothing. Now we have crazy fun cheap mid range bikes like the FZ09, KTM Duke, Triumph Scrambler (ok, not so cheap, but cool), and a billion variations.

Yes insurance is expensive, it was also just as expensive 11 years ago. Maybe less so on supersports, but for beginners it was. My first year's insurance was $2400 for an '86 Yamaha Radian. That's $2900 in today's money.

I see the market getting more and more diverse. Between cool and fun beginner bikes (RC390...), adventure bikes, the re-emergence of fun standard 6-900cc bikes that don't cost an arm and a leg, it's going to be a really interesting next few years.

On the other hand, supersports role in the overall motorcycle picture is going to get smaller and smaller. Between the crazy too much power, high purchasing costs, and high insurance rates, they're just not that appealing anymore. Super cool as eye candy, but most new riders I know have zero interest in owning one. People just don't care much about that market anymore.

People lament the loss of shops, but that's the way everything is going. With online shopping being so quick and easy for consumers, and cost efficient for businesses, you have to offer some extra to survive as a brick and mortar shop. There's a few that have found their niche. GP Bikes is thriving, Rider's Choice, Town Moto, Snow City, Corsa Meccanica, etc. have all found a corner of the market.

It's funny to think that 11 years ago, people were having the same discussion about the death of the motorcycle industry. Making the exact same points. Seems to be doing just fine from where I'm sitting.

• More & better small displacement (400cc) platforms available in adventure/naked & sport configurations.
  • Rising insurance costs will squeeze the 600 and up sport bike market
  • Large sport tourers downsized from 1200/1300 to 750/900 range
  • Little progress in electrics - novelty only due to range & price issues
  • Revitalization of small scale, economical flat-track racing led by American brands
  • Continued downturn in heavy cruiser market as boomers age out of riding

I always **** on Royal Enfield but if enough other people buy them and are satisfied with their reliability i might look into getting the new 650s just to jump on the retro bike bandwagon but for a lot cheaper than a triumph

I looked into starting a R-E dealership when they first cranked up imports in Canada and actively seeking dealers, do you know what they said! They were only interested in established dealerships that already represented a line of competitors motorcycles. How Stupid is that to have no interest in a dealership that would sell and promote your own product exclusively, that is a perfect formula to ensure your bikes are stuck in the back room and displayed only as an over-priced curiosity item like Buell once was.

• Revitalization of small scale, economical flat-track racing led by American brands

Are you referring to the 50 odd Indian FTR750 bikes that you can Apply to purchase if you can throw down 50 grand US$ first? :rolleyes:

Extinction

It's not hard to have money, just most kids today don't work and won't save when they do.

As far as where is industry heading....imo towards these kids and their lack of common sense and experience.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom