Where is the moto industry headed? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Where is the moto industry headed?

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I was thinking about this recently and was curious to hear the thoughts of others.

I started riding in 2003 and here in the GTA (and within the industry as a whole), much has changed in that short time. For those of you who started riding before me (some started well before I was born!) you can also attest to how much has changed on so many levels - from technology, to gear, to legislation, to trends and maybe even socially, economically, politically or demographically. For example, across Canada, recreational marijuana will be legal by this time next year and this will throw another item into cauldron of safety issues, which now also includes cell phones and alcohol.

Gear has developed to now include clothing that looks like denim, but is Kevlar reinforced, has non-bulky D30 armour and looks like I can wear it to dinner without sticking out like a power ranger. Bikes are faster, have better suspension, brakes and have infinitely more gadgets and rider aids. The recent offerings of many more things like GPS, bluetooth, apps and more... will certainly have an effect on rules of the road and perhaps licensing standards. We also have a much greater diversity within the ranks of those who ride. Electric bikes are slowly entering the mainstream consciousness as well as smaller ebikes, 3 wheelers and more. We now have really well developed forums (like this!), Youtube videos to teach you how to do it right and wrong, and a very rapidly evolving bike culture in general.

So this thread is less about reminiscing about what has changed, and more about what will be changing.

What does all this mean for the newer riders and the next generation of riders?
Where do you see the moto industry headed in the next 5 years? 10 years?
What would you like to see in the industry over the next 5-10 years?

I mean, just how busy will the Forks or Deals Gap be in 5 or 10 years?

I'm curious to hear people's thoughts about the future!

One likelihood is the continued disappearance of smaller Mom & Pop dealerships and the appearance of more Big Box corporate stores.
The fixed costs of doing business are such that unless you have very deep pockets to get through the lean times you won't make it.
We already see more independent repair and 'accessory-only' storefront operations - it will continue.
The other thing manufacturer/importers might try is the 'showroom only' concept a la Tesla.
You check it out, maybe test ride, then wait for delivery.

What do we need ? More smaller displacement machines, insurance easement, and MAYBE graduated licencing based on machine displacement like parts of Europe. More bums in the saddles, or its not worth it to bring the cool stuff in to Canada.

The moto industry might adopt a two prong approach. Target the newer riders with cheap, low displacement motorcycles made in Asia and cater to the older existing riders with deeper pockets by coming out with ever increasing larger displacement big bikes.

You can see BMW take this approach. The 310cc bikes are made to a price-point in India, while the 1000cc inline-4s (S1000R/RR/XR) get faster and faster each year, and don't have a mid-range 600-800cc counterpart. I think it's that mid-range that's going to shrink and disappear over time.

-The forks are already pretty busy most nice days, far too many tourists in cars.

-TBH legalizing of marijuana will mean little, as i already know a lot of ****tards who drive high/drunk/on the phone/applying mascara(they need to start handing these people mandatory sentences, no more fines, demerit points, insurance hikes, slaps on the wrists) they NEED to spend some quality time in general population with bubba and tyrone.

When the criminal records start affecting their ability to find decent employment they will learn.

-As far as where the moto industry is headed, we see it already, supersports will continue to decline, nakeds, cafe racers, scramblers, retro/vintage, sport touring and adventure bikes will continue to do well(along with cruisers im sure). Insurance will be(and already is) THE deciding factor that determines which bikes people buy(atleast in ontario)

We also see bikes with more electronic features(but ill be riding it as long as it has 2 wheels and makes me feel a certain way)

-What would I like to see? The euro's and harley davidson getting off their high horses and making some fun AND reasonably priced bikes(but i know the snobs wont like this)

-I am curious to see about electric bikes, most start ups fail or are overpriced (imo)
they wont truly start to thrive till the infrastructure catches up. Thankfully older bikes that run on gasoline will likely be grandfathered in so im happy.

EVs for urban and motorcycles may be banned in some large cities ( already are in China )

There is a huge depth of used machines and Ontario is an outlier for high insurance costs....it's not like that in the US for instance.
Two wheel riding has a long life yet and even with ICE engines.

EV will dominate tho for anything urban up to very fast machines - as with cars ....the EVs eat ICE alive for performance. Companies will move to a subscription style so you can have low monthly costs and of course fuel and maintenance is zilch.

You only have to look at two wheels in European cities to see the popularity and as the megalopolis' expand and parking gets impossible there is more attraction. There will still be a long distance rider segment for ICE engines tho fuel may get problematic in 10 years.....tho will persist in rural areas where we like to ride.

Ontario motorcycle industry as we knew it is headed for the toilet.

Need to find a way to make small business viable again and to start that process the government needs to reassess what a small business is, 22 employees is Not a small business that is a Large business!
Need to interest the next generation in outdoor activities instead of u-tube & video games.
Need to teach trades in school and how to design and build things.
Need to start building stuff here instead of importing it, kinda like we did with snowmobiles once upon a time.
Need places to ride like pickering pit and the green belt just south of 401 & west of the DVP once was.
Need lightweight electric dirt bikes that can be legally ridden on undeveloped land and bicycle trails lol like that will ever happen.
It is nice to dream though.

The moto industry might adopt a two prong approach. Target the newer riders with cheap, low displacement motorcycles made in Asia and cater to the older existing riders with deeper pockets by coming out with ever increasing larger displacement big bikes.

You can see BMW take this approach. The 310cc bikes are made to a price-point in India, while the 1000cc inline-4s (S1000R/RR/XR) get faster and faster each year, and don't have a mid-range 600-800cc counterpart. I think it's that mid-range that's going to shrink and disappear over time.

I think there is something for everyone, we think we know something, then a certain manufacturer comes out with a great product and capitalizes on a neglected segment

reminiscence time...yeah it was simpler and much cheaper back in the day
bought my first bike when I was 15, fall of 1980, got it home and shined it like crazy
born in January couldn't get a license until the winter, or ride until the spring

of course I wanted a bike because they are cool and fun
and I could afford to have one on the road with a part time job at the Keg
insurance was around 150/6 months and the license was so cheap it was free
like a lot of guys back then, I just got the learners permit in the spring and a 6 month policy
did that for several years before getting the full license

gear was pretty basic, the best helmet you could afford
everything else was just regular clothing

I'd say it was much less of a specialized thing back than
I mean bikes were just bikes, there were no categories
and types of riders that didn't respect other riders and all that crap
of course things are much simpler when you're a teenager I guess

fast forward to now, insurance is more for my bike than a car
something is seriously wrong there when one is a third of the cost of the other
and we generally buy gear and ride with other riders that suit what and how we ride

agree with the comment earlier about millenials
I have 2 of them, and one of them has the bug really bad
but it's out of the question financially for a 6 month transportation solution

some of the manufacturers have responded with models that are more affordable to ride
but still are cool enough to throw a leg over
those that aren't are gonna die along with the boomers

industry is always changing, and will always continue to change, insurance is up so people are turning to more affordable bikes, mom n pop shops that havn't found a way to adapt and stay relevant are on their way out, online shops are here to stay, laws are always changing, its never going to be like the good old days, but then again people have been talking about the good old days when I first started over a decade ago, and the new riders of today will be remembering the season of 2017 as the good old days.

I've thought many times about the value of having a tiered licensing system like some parts of the world - based on engine displacement/horsepower or something similar. The high insurance rates must help to keep most younger people off big bikes, but older (+new) riders can still get on the big stuff and have big problems. The availability and variety of smaller displacement bikes for new riders has definitely started to improve. The power that these little bikes produce may also start to increase which will play into any potential legislation.

It will be interesting to see if the mid-sized bikes do disappear over time. I hope not, because most of these mid-sized bikes are really do-it-all types.

I remember one the big reasons I wanted to ride was that I could park for free on city streets in Toronto. If that was taken away it may put a damper on that segment within the city. On the flip side, if the Ministry could be convinced to allow bikes in the HOV lanes of the provincial highways, that could see a large increase in bikes on the road.

Tire technology has also really opened up in terms of what is available to all kinds of riders. I wonder if we are just around the corner from tires that will give you maximum stick, awesome wet weather control and last for 40k - all the while being affordable. Think of getting a Pilot Rd 4 (or better) for the price of Shinko.

I often think it's such a good time to be riding right now - with all the choices and all that is available - it's crazy to think of how much better it can get.

I 'd really like to see California style legalized lane splitting/filtering w/e , cant be worse than making pot legal, especially for those hot summer days when your stuck going from light to light

As for small displacement bikes getting more powerful, i think not, manufacturers know they are for new riders

They are also about to release the pilot road 5, its supposed to have better grip in the wet than the PR4 when new, and identical grip in the wet to the PR4 after 3000 miles.

Tire technology has also really opened up in terms of what is available to all kinds of riders. I wonder if we are just around the corner from tires that will give you maximum stick, awesome wet weather control and last for 40k - all the while being affordable. Think of getting a Pilot Rd 4 (or better) for the price of Shinko.

I wouldn't hold my breath on that one, what would be the upside for the tire manufacturers?

Where is it going.

EV motos
Self balancing motos
Self riding motos (great for quick/cheap ride hailing)

Less people driving cars and less people with licenses and therefore less interest in driving.
I'd like to say, less accidents for motos

There'll still be a wide variety of displacement.

I could see insurers trying to find more reasons to charge us, so possibly gear being made obligatory with gear makers needing to respect certain guidelines/certain levels of safety.

I think the big hurdle in canada is the weather, people would consider this method of transportation a lot more if winters were as mild as say, Vancouver... if climate change is real, then we could definitely see a two-sided 'help the environment' and 'it's warmer so it's more useful' kind of approach towards EV Bikes.

QUeensland introduced lane splitting and you can use the bike lanes to get around a car or truck ...mainly as a safety measure ....sitting in traffic in the sun is a sure way to sunstroke right quick and dehydration.
I was very grateful for it a couple of days ...even tho temps were okay at 33 the tropic sun is a brute.

Toronto needs a make over ala Tokyo or Boston....a tunnel and a complete rethink downtown.
That Barcelona ....much smaller ....has a subway system better than Toronto's is disgraceful and most of that due to friction between layers of gov.
Toronto needs to control it's own planning and finances not get hung up in federal and provincial dogfights.

It's a huge portion of the national GPD let alone the Provincial yet always has to go cap in hand to BOTH govs to get a big program going.

In Australia....50% of the GST collected by the cities stays in the cities.

Toronto and burbs are still car oriented ...not so good given the growth and increasing density. Motorcyclists will never have any leverage in planning but hopefully some congestion laws will come in ( as in London England ) that will benefit us.

QUeensland introduced lane splitting and you can use the bike lanes to get around a car or truck ...mainly as a safety measure ....sitting in traffic in the sun is a sure way to sunstroke right quick and dehydration.
I was very grateful for it a couple of days ...even tho temps were okay at 33 the tropic sun is a brute.

Toronto needs a make over ala Tokyo or Boston....a tunnel and a complete rethink downtown.
That Barcelona ....much smaller ....has a subway system better than Toronto's is disgraceful and most of that due to friction between layers of gov.
Toronto needs to control it's own planning and finances not get hung up in federal and provincial dogfights.

It's a huge portion of the national GPD let alone the Provincial yet always has to go cap in hand to BOTH govs to get a big program going.

In Australia....50% of the GST collected by the cities stays in the cities.

Toronto and burbs are still car oriented ...not so good given the growth and increasing density. Motorcyclists will never have any leverage in planning but hopefully some congestion laws will come in ( as in London England ) that will benefit us.

I agee, must build tunnel, improve TTC, make downtown more Barcelona like, separate TO finances from the province, lock up Wynne, introduce harsher punishments on parole violators, fix the school system, make Toyota red tag days a stat holiday

these are all things that will make the moto industry much better

Its going to be electric, either rechargable or self charging to a degree. Batteries change faster than any other power source right now. Lithium is capable of 3-4x the voltage of coventional ni-cad in half the wieght and now the Carbon Foam will change everything, deep cycle capable and rediculouis range (at a cost) .
ICE may not be gone in my lifetime , but its going to go.

My grandchildren (if I had any) will look at my Ducati , like I look at steam tractors.

I'd like to see some more interesting bikes with engine sizes say 600-900cc and priced say $11,000ish-$15,000. A quick look on the manufacturers sites and I have very little interest in the bikes under $10,000 and then there is a drastic jump to the cool stuff priced in the high teens and above.

Probably won't happen though.

I think we are going to see more progression with electronic aids.

Advancements with lane departure alerts, collision avoidance, air bag tech etc.

Also emissions and noise reduction.

Electric power train advancements will continue.

Also run flat tire advancements.

Also advancements in ergos with making foot and hand and seat position adjustments to accommodate various size riders and passengers.

Also expect improved fuel consumption to extend range.

Heads up display integrated into helmet visors to improve info access and communications and marketing it more mainstream and accessible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom