407 Charge Unrecognizable Plate - $1500+ | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

407 Charge Unrecognizable Plate - $1500+

I had a surprise waiting for me in my accumulated mail when I got back from vacation in October.
A bill from the 407 stating I had driven on it the same day I was in Colorado.
I sent them a copy of the hotel bill with the same date.
Still waiting to hear back from them, but I'll be damned if I'm paying.

A couple of months ago I had an incorrect charge, sent them an email disputing the charge, and the charge was reversed on the next billing cycle. The key info I sent them was that the bike plate they charged was a day I wasn't riding, and it was for my 50cc scooter.

A couple of months ago I had an incorrect charge, sent them an email disputing the charge, and the charge was reversed on the next billing cycle. The key info I sent them was that the bike plate they charged was a day I wasn't riding, and it was for my 50cc scooter.

As in my case it seems the 407 is willing to admit to the occasional error but the OP's friend made the error of thinking there wouldn't be a charge for 30 trips. Maybe he thought it was like the NY State Thruway which is about 1/10th the rate IIRC.

As in my case it seems the 407 is willing to admit to the occasional error but the OP's friend made the error of thinking there wouldn't be a charge for 30 trips. Maybe he thought it was like the NY State Thruway which is about 1/10th the rate IIRC.

Yes, about 15 years ago I used to make trips on the NY Thruway from Niagara to the Ohio state line, IIRC it was $2.10 US which is about 50 miles. You can't go anywhere on the 407 for that little, considering each time you enter you get dinged $0.90 for a "roadside assistance charge"..lol

I don't think providing an excuse means anything to the 407ETR. You just tell them a trip was erroneously charged and they'll pull up the picture and a human eye will quickly determine if the computer read the plate wrong or not. They won't care if you have a out-of-town hotel bill for that night or if you weren't riding that day because anyone could have been riding your vehicle. They just automatically send the bill to whoever the vehicle is registered to.

And if the plate does match what's shown on the picture, then they're going to keep the charge on your bill. Which either means you have a bigger problem (someone counterfeited your plate), or you'll be spending a lot more time and energy appealing the charge than a simple e-mail or phone call.

Are Americans charged for use of the 407 ETR? Myself and three other guys were on it back in July from Burlington to Brampton (~40 km) and none of us have received a bill in the mail. Years ago driving up to Parry Sound towing a snowmobile trailer my dad would get billed.

3 of the 4 of us have very visible plates (nothing aftermarket).

Are Americans charged for use of the 407 ETR? Myself and three other guys were on it back in July from Burlington to Brampton (~40 km) and none of us have received a bill in the mail. Years ago driving up to Parry Sound towing a snowmobile trailer my dad would get billed.

Out-of-Province users, including those from the U.S.A., who choose to use 407 ETR, Highway 407 (east of Broad Road) and/or Highway 412 are responsible for all tolls, fees and interest under the Highway 407 Act and/or the Highway 407 East Act. At the end of each monthly billing cycle, the all-electronic system calculates all tolls, fees and interest and a bill is sent in Canadian dollars, due upon mailing.

see https://www.407etr.com/en/tolls/tolls/out-of-province.html

but, I would't go chasing them up, then you're bound to get a bill in the mail. Maybe they couldn't be bothered billing you or it "got lost in the system"

Although the signs say out of province plates will be billed, I know of someone from another province that visits Ontario for months every summer and uses the 407. Plates are fully visible and he has never received a bill. My guess is it isn't worth their time unless you really rack up the miles.

it's not even pricey for my bike I have a transponder for my car and the few times I've taken the 407 It's been a $5 flat rate
You don't need a transponder with a motorcycle to use the 407. They don't charge motorcycles the camera fee....you just pay for the trip like you would as if you were to have a transponder.
I have been flipping my plate for quite some time on the 407 and haven't got nailed yet, just flip it back when I'm off....but when I do get nailed, I won't b**ch about it because I should have been paying in the first place.
I pay for it when I use my primary vehicle, so I don't feel bad using it for free (for now haha) on my bike because they are ripping me off anyways so it's a wash in my books. Was at my buddies parents winter home just outside of Tampa and talk about a toll free road. Ride for 10-15 miles and throw in 50 cents in the plastic tub....keep riding. We get killed here, its unbelievable!!

I have been flipping my plate for quite some time on the 407 and haven't got nailed yet, just flip it back when I'm off....but when I do get nailed, I won't b**ch about it because I should have been paying in the first place.

Be ready to have the OPP stop you and have a chat, been covered on another thread.

You don't need a transponder with a motorcycle to use the 407. They don't charge motorcycles the camera fee....you just pay for the trip like you would as if you were to have a transponder.
I pay for it when I use my primary vehicle, so I don't feel bad using it for free (for now haha) on my bike because they are ripping me off anyways so it's a wash in my books. Was at my buddies parents winter home just outside of Tampa and talk about a toll free road. Ride for 10-15 miles and throw in 50 cents in the plastic tub....keep riding. We get killed here, its unbelievable!!
Why not just reach back once you've passed the camera and ride with it in a normal position.
I mean.. Uh, don't do illegal things.

Be ready to have the OPP stop you and have a chat, been covered on another thread.
I flip if before the cameras, then back down.....flip it again before i get off. Takes 2 seconds. I know it's not a great thing to do....but they are taking $150 give or take monthly with my other vehicle, so I don't feel guilty the smallest bit doing this :)

They’ll love you long time (like the OP’s “friend” here) when you inevitable get busted.

That’s before the charges for the plate concealment device if it’s the OPP that do the 407 a solid on catching you.

The only way to get caught plate flipping or using the hand is if you use it regularly, on and off at the same time

Everyone should scam the 407 as much as possible, f them

The only way to get caught plate flipping or using the hand is if you use it regularly, on and off at the same time

Everyone should scam the 407 as much as possible, f them

Or if they get annoyed enough to live transmit unreadable plates to a cop just up the road.

Everyone should rip off businesses they personally don't like as much as possible, f them

I fixed that for you.

I don't like the whole 407 situation any more than many here, but that doesn't mean I intentionally go out of my way to steal from them...I just speak with my wallet and simply don't USE it.

I flip if before the cameras, then back down.....flip it again before i get off. Takes 2 seconds. I know it's not a great thing to do....but they are taking $150 give or take monthly with my other vehicle, so I don't feel guilty the smallest bit doing this :)

No, what they do is hand the on/off location and time info to the police. One they establish a pattern they'll have cruisers laying in wait. I'm not judging you, just be ready for the inevitable.

I fixed that for you.

I don't like the whole 407 situation any more than many here, but that doesn't mean I intentionally go out of my way to steal from them...I just speak with my wallet and simply don't USE it.

Amen.

Back
Top Bottom