407 Charge Unrecognizable Plate - $1500+ | GTAMotorcycle.com

407 Charge Unrecognizable Plate - $1500+

Bweixz

Site Supporter
So my friend has incurred over $1500 in charges from 407 due to an unrecognisable plate 30+ trips times $50 you do the math.

He may or may not have thought he was getting away with it.. is there anything this broke student can do? Prove that it was or wasn't him? Plea Bargain?

This has never happened to my or and of my riding buddies so i decided to turn to the pros.

Taking all words or advice and bashes :)

What evidence do they have that each and every one of those trips with the unrecognizable plate was that particular vehicle? They will have photos, of course, but how are they matching those unrecognizable plates on those photos up to that particular vehicle if they couldn't recognize the plates?

It would, of course, be advisable to not use the 407 if you can't afford to pay for it. Not using it is completely legal.

Broke student shouldn’t be using the 407.

I presume his plate is only being captured and the entry and not exit.

IMHO the rates for the 407 are a complete rip off and I use it as little as possible. That said, if you chose to use the 407, you're try to scam the system and you get caught .......... then pay up and don't complain.

Pics of said "unrecognizable" plate? If it's legal it's not his fault the 407 camera can't see it. Why did the 407 ETR wait so long to tell him they couldn't read his plate?

request disclosure, see what they have

Is that even an option? I didn't think this was a trial? I thought the 407 just sent you a bill and it was your problem to try to prove your innocence somehow (many horror stories of people getting bills related to other people copying their plates and 407 needs a media smack down before they can renew their license).

Yes, you can request that they show you the records of the trip(s) in question. They will also negotiate at their discretion.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

x2 on the 'broke student shouldn't be using the 407' to begin with comments...but was he actually trying to obscure his plate to avoid tolls, and that's why he decided to use it regardless?

If that's the case and the photos show it, well...sorry, but he's probably going to be up the creek without a paddle.

If the plates are unrecognizable by the 407 cameras I have to wonder why he hadn't been pulled over by the police for the same thing; they're usually sticklers for that (at least around here; even a lightly tinted plate cover can net you a talking-to.)

Has he been purposely obscuring his plate to dodge charges? Would like to see pics of this.

(at least around here; even a lightly tinted plate cover can net you a talking-to.)

I love those things, i find it amusing the Service Ontario sell those covers and they aren't legal.

it's not even pricey for my bike I have a transponder for my car and the few times I've taken the 407 It's been a $5 flat rate

Pics of said "unrecognizable" plate? If it's legal it's not his fault the 407 camera can't see it. Why did the 407 ETR wait so long to tell him they couldn't read his plate?

When I purchase a product or service I expect a bill and keep a running approximate total in my head. Is there some reason he didn't think he was going to get a bill?

The road is a rip off at about $0.50 a km and they should be forced to post the rates at the entry points.

Unrecognizable plate or was the ownership address outdated and didn't receive the bill? How did the 407 manage to determine your friend was indeed responsible for the use of the 407? Just used images of the clapped out Sunfire?

... He may or may not have thought he was getting away with it.. is there anything this broke student can do? Prove that it was or wasn't him? Plea Bargain?...

What do you mean he may or may not have thought he was getting away with it :confused: was it his ride or not?

I'd wonder why I was using the 407 and never getting a bill.
He used a road he was supposed to pay to use, and he got a bill for using it. Seems simple enough.

I'd wonder why I was using the 407 and never getting a bill.
He used a road he was supposed to pay to use, and he got a bill for using it. Seems simple enough.

this whole 407 deal pisses me off. Public money builds, and then the politicians sell it for a song to their corporate buddies.
I paid a $40-50 dollar 407 fee when I renewed my plates. Don't know where the bill came from I never use the 407.
Wasn't worth the effort and time to fight for me...Im the only driver..

in decades to come when the 407 is falling apart, the politcians will buy it back at an inflated price..thats my guess.

Last edited:
I love those things, i find it amusing the Service Ontario sell those covers and they aren't legal.

Service Ontario outlets are privately operated...and considering my experience at many where they don't even know the very rules and regs they're supposed to be operating by, it doesn't surprise me at all that some are selling illegal plate covers.

The road is a rip off at about $0.50 a km and they should be forced to post the rates at the entry points.

Rates change by time of day so it'd be hard without electronic boards...and they can change *during* a trip as well.

What do you mean he may or may not have thought he was getting away with it :confused

It seems fairly clear to me that his friend was intentionally trying to obscure his plate. Might have worked on the first 100 trips, but on the 101'st he forgot to flip/obscure his plate (or it didn't work), and they simply went back and compared the images of that one successful capture to the previous 100 logged entries of a "mystery bike". If the bike, the gear, and the entry and exit points were reasonably consistent, then it wouldn't surprise me at all they'd bill all the outstanding trips previous, and there's a good chance they not only have the evidence to make it stick, but that it'd stand up in court.

I've heard of this happening with serial plate obscuring offenders on the 407.

Back
Top Bottom