I may not have buns of steel, but...... | GTAMotorcycle.com

I may not have buns of steel, but......

Morrissey

I do have an IRON BUTT!!!

It's official! My package from the IBA came in last week and I am now an official member of the Iron Butt Association. I completed my first ever Saddle Sore 1000 on July 29, 2017. It took about 3 months for the IBA to verify my ride and send me my package, which is about as long as they said it would take. My IBA # is 68786. I already have a few ideas for my next SS1000 for 2018. I want to do another SS1000 before attempting any other IBA rides so I can compare how much more comfortable my new ST1300 is vs my Bandit 600. I'm fairly certain it will be night and day.

I'm dying to mount my plate backer on the bike but it is buried in the back of the garage and I'm going to have to wait until spring.

https://imgur.com/bAi0iYt

https://imgur.com/NegdXOM

Congratulations on your IB award. I think you'll find the comfort of an ST1300 vs. your Bandit to be night and day. You'll find a lot of IB junkies and long distance bike setup info on the ST-Owners site.

My longest day was about 1,050 km over 12 hours coming back from southern Ohio. The thought of that + another 600 km to make a 1,000 miles in 24h sounds brutal to me.

congrats on the long run, i should have applied as i do this every time i ride to Nova Scotia

Awesome. I was within 50 miles of doing the 1000 this summer, next year for sure.

Congrats. I had planned to do the round the lake 1000 this past summer but I ended up waiting too late in the year, and a variety of other things got in the way.

A friend and I realized at one point we had basically done one this summer but we hadn't planned on it...and didn't have enough receipts to actually submit it. Oh well.

It definitely was challenging. One of the biggest challenges was the planning. My run was a straight line there and back so pretty easy to prove, but if your ride is a circle, you have to plan fuel stops to get DBR's in the corners of your ride to prove you didn't take a short cut. If there is a possible short cut and you don't get a receipt to prove you didn't take it, they won't credit you the mileage and it may ruin your attempt. I planned a stop in Port Hope both on the way out and the way back to make sure I had proof I didn't take a diagonal route from Peterborough down to the 401 and vice versa. Even though it was only 40ish km from my start/stop point in Peterborough I wanted to make sure I didn't lose the mileage.

I'm planning on doing either an all Ontario SS1000 or around Erie/Ontario SS1000 next season.

I saw that there is a group as planned for Ontario next August

I'd be very reluctant to do an iron butt with anyone except a very close riding buddy. Different people have different riding styles and the group would either break up very quickly, or things would clash. Myself for example would want to knock off the entire 1620KM (to use the 1000 mile iron butt as an example) non stop with the exception of fuel stops...with food and bathroom breaks included in those, very quickly. Others will want to stretch it out to the entire 24 hours allotted, feeling no rush..but that'd make others like myself anxious or irritated, sitting in a Tim Hortons wasting good riding time knowing that one little unexpected issue could blow it all.

Anyhow, I have a friend in my riding organization who'd doing the 4 corners iron butt next summer. And knowing him, he'll accomplish it in WAY less than the allotted 21 days.

I followed a group on the cannonball 1000 last summer. They left me far behind every time but I'd catch up at most of the checkpoints. I was like the zombie in a bad horror flick that is catching up to the fleeing people even though he's only walking.
I doubt they're all trying to stick together, but I don't really know.

Sent from my X5max_PRO using GTAMotorcycle.com mobile app

I did close to an unofficial IB coming back from Rolla Missouri. I don't really see the point and is technically illegal in some places as it is a time trial.

IIRC there is an IB 1500 spread over two days.

It is totally possible to obey all posted speed limits and complete an SS1000 in plenty of time. If you travel on a 400 series highway for instance, you can do an SS1000 in just over 16hrs driving time, leaving almost 8 full hours for fifuel stops, food stops and rest stops.

There is a ride called the "Bun Burner 1500" spread out over 2 days. The first leg on day one is 1000mi in 24hrs and the second leg on day two is 500mi in 12hrs. You have a total of 36hrs to complete the ride from the time marked on your first DBR, so how long you rest between the two legs is up to you. If I were doing it I would attempt to complete the first leg in 20ish hrs (I completed my SS1000 in 19hr 55min) and then sleep for 4hrs or so. That pretty much leaves you the full 12hrs to complete the second leg of the ride.

Some guy, Chichester IIRC, sailed around the world non-stop single handed. Someone asked why he didn't just sail offshore and out of sight and then drop anchor for six months if he wasn't going to see anyone or anything.

Completing an Iron Butt ride is purely about proving something to yourself. You either see the value/feel the sense of accomplishment in doing one of these rides or your don't. They certainly aren't for everyone, or even most riders and that's okay. It's just one more way to enjoy a motorcycle. I certainly wouldn't commit the bulk of my riding time to completing IBA rides but I did enjoy my first one enough that I am planning another one for 2018. I loved the sense of accomplishment when I was finished. It was nice to set a goal and tackle it. I did lament not having time for sight seeing along the way. There were a few times that I saw something off in the distance that I would have loved to check out, like the Saint Lawrence when I was in Montmagny for example, but I knew that I wasn't there for that on THAT particular ride. I plan other rides with only 350km-500km/day when I want to stop and see things.

I do have an IRON BUTT!!!

It's official! My package from the IBA came in last week and I am now an official member of the Iron Butt Association. I completed my first ever Saddle Sore 1000 on July 29, 2017. It took about 3 months for the IBA to verify my ride and send me my package, which is about as long as they said it would take. My IBA # is 68786. I already have a few ideas for my next SS1000 for 2018. I want to do another SS1000 before attempting any other IBA rides so I can compare how much more comfortable my new ST1300 is vs my Bandit 600. I'm fairly certain it will be night and day.

I'm dying to mount my plate backer on the bike but it is buried in the back of the garage and I'm going to have to wait until spring.

https://imgur.com/bAi0iYt

https://imgur.com/NegdXOM
well done ,I would like to try that but ,I am just too old.

Not something that I'd consider doing on purpose.

If I was away from home, and wanted to be in my own bed, however . . .

Back
Top Bottom