Guy hates his clutch... | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Guy hates his clutch...

Not easy as you would make it out to be. Can you imagine the manpower required to have someone TYPE each note, (they would have to be verbatim), into a computer system. The officer WOULD need to access each notebook each time he is required in court, (MUST have the original document). Then you have someone "trying" to decipher the writing of another, (I have reviewed notebooks as a supervisor that bordered on being illegible..lol). Yes of the officer can't produce notes, (and the lawyer or accused requests to see it the case gets tossed. Then you have to build and monitor a "secure" facility to house all the books, Lawyers would have a hay day, questioning the voracity of the secure facility.

Most officers keep their notebooks secure, and it is RARE for one to be stolen, (it really has no value to anyone other than the officer).

How long is five notebooks in calendar time? I am shocked that physical notebooks are still allowed from a privacy and redundancy perspective. So many times there have been reports of lost or stolen books and/or missing pages. Maybe after a book is full, it should be digitized with security to prevent changes and encryption to prevent unauthorized access. If it matters from a legal perspective, the original could be kept in secure storage in case it was ever required. The officer would have password protected access through a mobile device (computer or phone) to all of their books. It's so damned simple. What happens to all of the cases in the physical notebooks when they disappear? The bad guys win in court as the cop has no notes on their interaction?

Not easy as you would make it out to be. Can you imagine the manpower required to have someone TYPE each note, (they would have to be verbatim), into a computer system. The officer WOULD need to access each notebook each time he is required in court, (MUST have the original document). Then you have someone "trying" to decipher the writing of another, (I have reviewed notebooks as a supervisor that bordered on being illegible..lol). Yes of the officer can't produce notes, (and the lawyer or accused requests to see it the case gets tossed. Then you have to build and monitor a "secure" facility to house all the books, Lawyers would have a hay day, questioning the voracity of the secure facility.

Most officers keep their notebooks secure, and it is RARE for one to be stolen, (it really has no value to anyone other than the officer).

I meant digitized as in scanned, not typed to make a searchable document. Just a backup image of every page inside a secure pdf (password protected opening so random people can't look at it and a separate password to edit so no edits ever happen to the original). I am assuming there are sketches and notes written in different directions etc which would make it impossible to try to type.

Hell if they want to lock things up more, the original digitized copy can have a checksum calculated and the storage officer can forward the digitized notebook to the court with authentication that the contents of the book are identical to the day the copy was made.

Minolta had a system to do exactly that. Never really caught on, cause I never heard anything more about it after it was launched.

***edit**
Seems Konica Minolta is still in that game.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom