Consolidating Insurance policies | GTAMotorcycle.com

Consolidating Insurance policies

Aens

What is the best way to consolidate various different insurance policies and products? I have car insurance with Economical through a broker I've been using for a very long time but they do not do bikes (they quoted me $3500/yr for a CB500F). I have motorcycle insurance with Aviva through Paul/Chris South at Surnet. The car insurance policy starts in October and the bike in May. I've never cancelled insurance before or really shopped around for that matter and left it up to the broker. I'm looking to do this to simplify the yearly process and also hoping to save at least a little.

I understand there are penalties for cancelling insurance and other various fees but I want to focus on when I should do this, with whom I need to contact to cancel and any other pitfalls and landmines I need to be wary of.

"they quoted me $3500/yr for a CB500F" :lmao:
Sorry I'm not laughing At you, only laughing at the absurdity of it.

Another reason you can't cancel your insurance is because you need insurance to have a license plate and if you cancel your license plate you will need to have your bike re-certified once you put it back on the road. They got us by the gonads

Try a motorcycle only provider, they will probably come up with the least painful cost and not require you to bundle.

Oh, cost I'm not concerned about. The question is about timing and process due to the mismatching renewal dates and parties.

"they quoted me $3500/yr for a CB500F" :lmao:
Sorry I'm not laughing At you, only laughing at the absurdity of it.

Another reason you can't cancel your insurance is because you need insurance to have a license plate and if you cancel your license plate you will need to have your bike re-certified once you put it back on the road. They got us by the gonads

Try a motorcycle only provider, they will probably come up with the least painful cost and not require you to bundle.
Lol. You don't need to surrender your plates if you cancel insurance, nor do you need to re-certify when you re-insure.
Just don't ride while you're not insured.
I'm in the same situation, bikes all renew in march, cars in September, house in October. Thinking I'll get some quotes for the bikes and then bring the cars over in September.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

+1 I have plates that are valid, but not on any vehicle or insured.

Just do the shopping around on a package for all the items. Check with the current polices what you get for cancelling and then do the math on what works for you.

So you figure I can renew my plates after showing proof of insurance coverage which is a requirement, and then cancel my insurance until I feel like putting insurance back on the vehicle?

@Trials
100% yes. It's only illegal to have plates on an uninsured vehicle if you drive it.
If I cancel the insurance on my bikes tomorrow, the plates are still valid. In order to legally go for a ride I have to insure my bikes again and that's it. No safety, no problems.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Awesome! and apologies to the OP for my having been grossly misinformed on the point of vehicle safety inspections.

I recently consolidated all of mine under All State (previously the car and home was with TD MM, and the bike with Aviva/Dalton Timmis). When setting up the car and home last March, I mentioned about the bike and got the numbers for it. When the bike came due in June, I called All State back, and they were able to pro-rate the term so rather than end next June, it aligned with my car and home (so in other words, they insured the bike for 9 months). Now starting March of 2018, everything will start and end on the same day, under the same company.

Back
Top Bottom