Toy hauler, travel trailer or tent | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toy hauler, travel trailer or tent

it isnt that bad if you have 2 ramps, 1 for the bike and one for you to walk on, put it in first gear and walk it up the ramp, when unloading control it with the front brake

Or leave it in gear and use the clutch i find that easier when rolling it down the ramps.

Easiest and safest way to load a heavy motorcycle into a pickup truck is to back the truck up to a loading ramp or 'anything' that is close to the same height as the truck bed, then you can just roll the bike right on there with no drama. Ramps are only hazardous because of the incline and if you must use the ramp that way, always tie it to the truck so it doesn't slide out. Oh and remove the tailgate to load a heavy anything, tailgates bend real easy and are very expensive to replace.

Slickest setup I've ever seen for pickup truck loading was an old guy who had a winch mounted behind the cab, and bicycle wheels attached like training wheels to the rear axle of the bike. The bike was loaded backwards in the truck, and he just winched it up and down the ramp, hands-free, then detached the training wheels to go riding.

BigEvilDoer has a 6.5' bed on his F150 I believe, I have a 2016 F150 supercrew with the 5.5' bed. No issues with 2 bikes. Only challenge is the tie downs with the aluminum bed down the center. I put in 2 x 5000 lbs D-rings with 1/4" steel plate underneath down the center. Not a lot to bolt to underneath, but you can find a few spots.

Here is the weld on version, but TSC also sells version that takes 2 carriage bolts. Just buy the appropriate length galvanized bolt.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/smartstraps-heavy-duty-weld-on-d-ring-5000-lb

Hiya. We met at Grand Bend this summer when you had visitors from the UK.
Curious - why do you need to put the tail gate up? Smergy and I went all the way to the Dragon and back F150 tailgate down, twice. Whenever I go to track I load my bike in the bed of my F150 by myself without issue.

I have a board in the back of my truck with 2 wheel chocks bolted to it. I move one to the left or to the middle as necessary.

Considering getting a pop up truck bed tent later like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Backroadz-Nap...qid=1511578872&sr=8-1&keywords=truck+bed+tent

Or a simple pop up tent. Super easy for set up: https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Compa...F8&qid=1511578915&sr=1-6&keywords=pop+up+tent

A ramp like this could make life a whole lot easier. Walk up beside the bike, slowly clutching it up the ramp. It folds up so you can slide it into the truck once the bike is loaded.

bifold-atv-ramp.jpg

Does anyone run an air conditioner? If so, how annoyed do your neighbors get at the sound? I don't mind sleeping in the cold, but hot humid weather is just miserable.

I agree on the humid weather thing - I can not under any circumstances sleep when I'm miserably hot, sweaty, and slimy sweaty.

AC in a small space on generator is doable, but you want a GOOD inverter generator that won't keep all your neighbours up, and be sure to park in an area with other larger RV's/motorhomes that are likely to be running generators at night anyways...and even if not are less likely to be bothered by yours because it's quiet.

The Honda EU2000i is a stellar generator that will easily start and run a small 5000 BTU window-unit style AC that you can get at Wallymart for $150 in the summer, and they are amazingly quiet. What I used to do with mine was put it at the bed of my truck - keeping it up in the air a little with the bed surrounding it helps direct the noise up and away vs sitting in on the ground and having the sound go in all directions. If I was looking for quieter yet sometimes I'd drape my tonneau cover about half way over the bed and put the generator at the edge with the exhaust facing forward under the tonneau. It never overheated (since it was drawing it's cooling air from the open area) but blowing the exhaust forward and under the tonneau muffled things even more. Under light to moderate load I couldn't even hear it from the next campsite usually.

Yes, in the end, between an EU2000i (they fetch about $1000 even used) and the AC you'll be in for some coin without doubt, but it's worth it (for me at least) to be comfortable and get a good nights sleep.

Run time may be an issue especially if the AC runs quite a bit (compressor on vs just fan) through the night so be sure to pre-cool the space as much as possible and then fill the genny to the brim again just before retiring for the night. A lot of people using EU2000i's for long periods plumb in external fuel sources, but that's a different ball of wax.

Back
Top Bottom