Toy hauler, travel trailer or tent | GTAMotorcycle.com

Toy hauler, travel trailer or tent

smudger

Does anyone here transport their bike to & from the track in the bed of their F150 or other truck with the smaller 5.5 bed?
I think the bike would go in the truck bed diagonally when I measured it all up & still allow you to get tailgate up but haven't physically tried it.
Only asking because I've been looking for a toy hauler for next season but finding a decent one at a reasonable price seems nigh on impossible so I'm thinking of going the travel trailer route instead with the bike in the truck bed although I do understand it's a hassle getting the bike in out of the bed but it's still safe to do on your own with 9' or 10' ramp.
For what a 4 berth 2005/2007 toy hauler costs I could buy a pretty damn luxurious 8 berth 2012/2014 travel trailer which then does double duty for family holidays as well.
I did round 6 in a tent, froze my nuts off, got very little sleep so decided I'm too old for that one :)
Just wondering what everyone else does & what their experiences are?

if your talking about racing at grand bend with SOAR, i would suggest getting a normal camper that you can store at grand bend

A few racers just tow up their bikes and then pull the trailer out the back for the weekend.

for the record, i use a toy hauler

We got it for a good price, and did some renos to it.

https://imgur.com/a/T3jor

Last edited:
I have seen a toy hauler with pop out beds front & rear and the front has a platform area for the bike which is a decent price, that might be a good starting point for me maybe.
I had thought about that option Nick but I'd want the camper closer to home for normal weekends away etc .
I missed a really nice KZ Sportsman toy hauler with a separate garage area a weeks or so ago at a very large dealer near Hamilton, kicking myself that I didn't move quicker on it.

Does anyone here transport their bike to & from the track in the bed of their F150 or other truck with the smaller 5.5 bed?

Hiya. We met at Grand Bend this summer when you had visitors from the UK.
Curious - why do you need to put the tail gate up? Smergy and I went all the way to the Dragon and back F150 tailgate down, twice. Whenever I go to track I load my bike in the bed of my F150 by myself without issue.

I have a board in the back of my truck with 2 wheel chocks bolted to it. I move one to the left or to the middle as necessary.

Considering getting a pop up truck bed tent later like this: https://www.amazon.ca/Backroadz-Nap...qid=1511578872&sr=8-1&keywords=truck+bed+tent

Or a simple pop up tent. Super easy for set up: https://www.amazon.ca/Coleman-Compa...F8&qid=1511578915&sr=1-6&keywords=pop+up+tent

Hey BED, how are you?

If I was towing a good sized camper I'm thinking you'd need the tailgate up so it wouldn't contact the trailer when turning............maybe I'm wrong on that?
Something like this might be perfect, what do you think?
http://www.pleasurelandrv.com/product/used-2006-starcraft-travel-star-expandables-19sd-577547-4
I'm just not sure how good he pop out bed areas are in cold or wet weather: I went to look at one similar to this on a rainy, windy day and couldn't see any leaks but maybe I was looking in the wrong place

Last edited:
First year I did the cargo van rental and with a tent.
This past year I got a truck and went the uhaul trailer rental route with a tent.
I rent a trailer even for track days, they're inexpensive and easier for me to load solo.
If I had a house with the space for it then I would get a small toy hauler, something like the 18ft KZ.

Just an idea...

I have a 6' x 12' V-nose trailer and put e-tracks on the side of the walls at 1' off the ground. I have clips in them for the 2''x4'' studs.
I made a platform for a bed on 2''x4''. I put the platform upright position when on the road and when i get to destination, pull all my race gear out set it up and then set-up my bed.
My queen matress is in the back of the the truck, F-150 6'5'' box.

Has worked for me for the past 4-5 years and can't complain about it, at all.

If the track has electricity, I'm able to plug the trailer in and get all my electronic devices working. At night I have a little heater.
If no electricity, geny is plugged into the trailer and runs all my goods. At night, I bring more blankets :p

All under $6k.... could cost you less, if you don't get all the other options I got in the trailer (special flooring, jacks, RV door, etc...)

I used to tent when offroad racing, the Corduroy is always end of September and a tent is miserable. The last year I borrowed a high end Coleman pop up, even with a heater it was little better than a tent.
I now tow an open trailer and sleep in the minivan if it's cold. My honda odyssey is my toy hauler lol.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

have an enclosed 5x8, once I get to the track i pull everything out of it and have a twin air mattress that fits in great, no heat in it but with the right sleeping bag its not really an issue, went down to 2c at night at GBM round 5, really hot nights are more problematic than cold ones

Does anyone run an air conditioner? If so, how annoyed do your neighbors get at the sound? I don't mind sleeping in the cold, but hot humid weather is just miserable.

Does anyone run an air conditioner? If so, how annoyed do your neighbors get at the sound? I don't mind sleeping in the cold, but hot humid weather is just miserable.

I have used my toy hauler for over 100 nights over the last 5 years at the track. I have run AC during the day. I have yet to feel the need to run the genny/AC overnight. 1 weekend I considered it so I parked as far from anyone as I could but in the end the day time cooling of the AC was enough to allow windows to be used overnight.

600 in my 5.5" sierra. Huge pain getting it up. Rent a Uhaul trailer.
60f6ff0058df1b846e47085a129ec587.jpg

seen too many loading a bike into a pickup failure videos
it's only funny when it's a pirate trying to blast his 900 lb bagger up a ramp

Thanks for all the feedback guys, appreciated.
I'm going to look at a nice (hopefully) KZ toy hauler next Saturday, it's an older one but has everything I want and more importantly everything my lovely wife said it must have.
Will let you know how I make out.

600 in my 5.5" sierra. Huge pain getting it up. Rent a Uhaul trailer.
60f6ff0058df1b846e47085a129ec587.jpg

it isnt that bad if you have 2 ramps, 1 for the bike and one for you to walk on, put it in first gear and walk it up the ramp, when unloading control it with the front brake

it isnt that bad if you have 2 ramps, 1 for the bike and one for you to walk on, put it in first gear and walk it up the ramp, when unloading control it with the front brake
I have 2 ramps, it's just not a $6000 chance I'm willing take.

Back
Top Bottom