Need a new laptop... have no idea | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need a new laptop... have no idea

Another advantage for ThinkPad is parts availability.

You will find a replacement hinge 10 years from now.

I have had nothing but aggravation with AMD chips in laptops. I don't know if it's the chip, the other components, or everything combined, but I simply won't buy one again - the computer always runs sluggish despite the theoretically positive specs. I've had good luck with Intel i5 (and i7) chips, so will likely stick with Intel.

yep...I've had both intel and AMD based units, generally more trouble with the AMD ones

but there's more to a PC than specs on chips
if the mobo is a cheap POS, like they tend to be on AMD budget units
while on paper the machine may look okay, they actually perform poorly
and the rest of the PC build quality will cause nothing but grief

all of the PC makers have decent machines on the top end
doesn't matter what brand it is for the sub $500 segment
the specs may look impressive
but chances of one them lasting > 2 years is slim

Thanks again for all the tips. I ended up getting what I think is a pretty good deal, so I bought 3 laptops.
They are off-lease, in excellent shape with Windows 10 and 15.6".

Two are HP Probook 450 G3's with 500GB HDD and 8GB RAM, i5 @2.5GHz - for my wife and I
One is a Dell Vostro 3560 with 500GB and 6GB RAM, i5 @2.5GHz - x-mas gift for Mother in Law.
Paid just over $600 for all three.

These should last us until 2025!

that Probook is a nice machine
gets good reviews
interesting that it has an extra HD slot
could put a small SSD in there with the OS
keep the 500 mechanical for strictly storage

looks like a nice package deal you got there

Last edited:
Bump!

My wife dropped her Laptop and it's completely kaputsky. Time for a used replacement and I'd prefer to go with an off-lease for around $300. I might buy 2 and get her mom a better laptop while I'm at it.

We really liked the HP laptops we had and I would be fine to get something newer, but similar durability.
Those ones were $220 each - 15" HP Probook 450 G3's with 500GB HDD and 8GB RAM, i5 @2.5GHz. We like the larger sized laptops. These would be our minimum specs, but since we got those 2.5yrs ago, it would be nice to get better specs for $300 now. We don't want Mac's and we don't want new.

Any directions on the best place to get off-lease laptops?

Thanks!

Bump!

My wife dropped her Laptop and it's completely kaputsky. Time for a used replacement and I'd prefer to go with an off-lease for around $300. I might buy 2 and get her mom a better laptop while I'm at it.

We really liked the HP laptops we had and I would be fine to get something newer, but similar durability.
Those ones were $220 each - 15" HP Probook 450 G3's with 500GB HDD and 8GB RAM, i5 @2.5GHz. We like the larger sized laptops. These would be our minimum specs, but since we got those 2.5yrs ago, it would be nice to get better specs for $300 now. We don't want Mac's and we don't want new.

Any directions on the best place to get off-lease laptops?

Thanks!
Check out refurb.io

EDIT:
Not looking like great prices there right now.

Last edited:
I've got an older Macbook 13" with a crapton of upgrades (500gig SSD, 16 gigs of ram, secondly internal 1tb hybrid drive) if you're intersted. It's not a new machine by any stretch, but if you're just looking for a utility machine for surfing and such it's still a good little beast. Battery still good, 1 to 2.5+ hours depending on usage.

These things go forever. I pulled out my original white Macbook Core Solo (2006) yesterday and it booted right up like I'd just shut it down yesterday even though I hadn't even powered it on in a few years.

Would like $250 or something like that for it. The SSD and the 16 gigs of ram are worth a good part of that alone.

Check out Bauer Systems in Burlington.
If you are not local they can ship.

I would suggest a Lenovo. Most of their stuff is off-lease Lenvo products.

I have purchased MANY from them for various clients.
Here is a link to their current price list.

1588904301680.png

They have others as well.

If she doesn't need a CD-Rom drive and is not in need of many USB ports, my sugestion would be the X1 Carbon.
They can also upgrade to a higher capacity SSD or M.2 drive on the spot.
Ask for Mohit when calling and tell him Simon sent you.

Last one I got was an 14" Asus from my kid's Community College ~$400.
Had it for about a year now. It went down to Alabama and back on the bike.
It was the cheapest that they had, and has a touchscreen, which is a good upgrade for a portable.
Drive is a little tight @ 128 ssd, but I figure I can drop a new one in anytime now that the warranty is over.
Newer ones at the College are more at the moment and all 15.6".

I'd bought a big expensive HP from Costco, but it went kaput within 24 hours, so back it went.

If you can pick up a business Lenovo off lease get it. I get a sizeable allowance for tech from work and usually max everything out when I get a laptop. I’ve had two Lenovo’s and a Surface Pro and the Lenovo’s have been amazing. Best keyboards in the business and they are spillproof etc. I just got a 2k Lenovo Yoga X1 with all the upgrades and it’s a thing of beauty.

PrivatePilot - Thanks, but she doesn't want a Mac.

Thanks for the other suggestions guys - I am local to Burlington, so we could look into Bauer Systems, so thanks as well for that link and price list.

We will look into the Lenovo's if the local shop can't fix it. They said they would order a part for $30. If they can fix it she pays $150. If they can't fix it, she pays $30 for the part only. Seemed pretty fair, so we will wait the 2 weeks for the part.

So for the next 3 weeks, this laptop gets the stain of Just Jared and Lainey Gossip. Not sure if that will buff out.

That price list changes on an hourly basis. Check on it often.

what’s the faulty part on yours?

It's a little part under/near the power switch as far as I know. My wife has been dealing with / speaking to the shop, so this is what they told her.

The laptop fell from about 3-4 feet onto the hardwood floor and landed right on the corner of the where the power butting is. After that, the power button could not be depressed at all and no light even comes on when the laptop is plugged in to indicate it's charging. That's all I know.

Check out Bauer Systems in Burlington.
If you are not local they can ship.

I would suggest a Lenovo. Most of their stuff is off-lease Lenvo products.

I have purchased MANY from them for various clients.
Here is a link to their current price list.

View attachment 43017

They have others as well.

If she doesn't need a CD-Rom drive and is not in need of many USB ports, my sugestion would be the X1 Carbon.
They can also upgrade to a higher capacity SSD or M.2 drive on the spot.
Ask for Mohit when calling and tell him Simon sent you.
Might be calling them soon then. MIL's laptop is ******** the bed and time for a new one sooner rather than later.

You don't want a Mac, they last too long, the OS has not changed significantly in decades and you will get bored with it never crashing or rarely needing to reboot.

You don't want a Mac, they last too long, the OS has not changed significantly in decades and you will get bored with it never crashing or rarely needing to reboot.
Or you will get bored with failing video/logic boards on $10,000 laptops. I'm not sure why hey had so many issues. My suspicion is they put form in front of function for too long. I'll take a few mm thicker and more reliable any day.

Oh, and even though it is the only computer that you can boot to either the native Mac OS or a Windoze OS on the same platform, you don't want one because it is incompatible :LOL:

,,, These should last us until 2025!

Didn't quite make it did it

Oh, and even though it is the only computer that you can boot to either the native Mac OS or a Windoze OS on the same platform, you don't want one because it is incompatible :LOL:
As of a few weeks ago I think I’m done with Mac. I fired up my Mac Mini to whatever the newest OS is. After that’s said and done basically none of my software works anymore because of a switch within the software. FML now it’s a useless paperweight.
Been using my surface pro 3 more often and I enjoy it so not sure what to do with the Mac mini.

although @PrivatePilot has an attractive offer for the MIL. If I can convince her to learn a new OS.

Back
Top Bottom