bathroom co - recommendations for Durham Region? | GTAMotorcycle.com

bathroom co - recommendations for Durham Region?

meme

Site Supporter
Old old house, but want to get it done in one day as this is only shower in house.

Don't need finishing as I will do that, just looking for shower/tub insert and toilet installed.

Recommendations?

If you're finishing, you're certainly able to install

Toilet is a 5 minute install. Plastic inserts are also simple. If i was paying a lot for a quick reno, I'd want something installed that I couldn't do myself in a day.

Can't recommend anyone out that way for you but I installed both in our house and will say that even for a first timer it is pretty easy to do.

Bath Fitters offers a one day install (usually) , its a franchise so there is probably someone in your area. They aren't cheap.

make a temp shower over the basement floor drain with plastic sheets and some hose, drive to a truck stop or shower at work. Rent a room at motel six just to shower (cheaper than rush service costs from a plumber)

Go au naturel and pretend your french........

I'd second the idea that a toilet is easy, and do it yourself

if the bathroom is small, may be difficult to do a tub and a toilet same day
so contract the tub
do the toilet yourself another day

Bath Fitters offers a one day install (usually) , its a franchise so there is probably someone in your area. They aren't cheap.

make a temp shower over the basement floor drain with plastic sheets and some hose, drive to a truck stop or shower at work. Rent a room at motel six just to shower (cheaper than rush service costs from a plumber)

Go au naturel and pretend your french........

My parents did a bathroom reno that took about 2 weeks and just went to the gym if you are a member somewhere or YMCA and showered there

Two issues with diy for me.

How do I get a tub/toilet etc up two flights of stairs and I'm kind of worried about what I'll find when demo begins. House dates to 1871, nothing is normal when doing renos.
Partner in crime will be away for a few weeks so he's no help.

I was trying to take the quick (lazy) way.

How do I get a tub/toilet etc up two flights of stairs and I'm kind of worried about what I'll find when demo begins....

'Scope Creep' is almost inevitable in home reno work. Re-and-re a toilet is pretty straight forward. Fitting a shower and tub with a plastic insert depends on the type you get. Good luck, post pictures.

How do I get a tub/toilet etc up two flights of stairs and I'm kind of worried about what I'll find when demo begins. House dates to 1871, nothing is normal when doing renos.

Toilet is still easy. Carry it upstairs before you put it together if you are worried about the weight (or recruit a neighbour if it comes assembled and you don't want to take the tank off).

If you are dropping in a liner over the existing tub and walls, they normally come as at least 4 pieces (each wall and the tub) so they aren't so bad to manoeuvre. Getting an actual tub up or down stairs really sucks even with two people. Depending on the age of your tub, I have no idea how easy it is to find a liner that fits well. If this reno requires the existing tub to leave (especially if it's cast iron) I understand wanting help, that's a lot of work.

I understand not wanting to demo (although sometimes the scary stuff you find helps you later, you don't want to have a hidden leak go on for a few more years). My point is if you are just doing the insert reno, I have found prices to be out of line with costs. IME those companies charge a huge huge premium for getting it done in a day. You pay a similar price to a full reno with proper materials and all they did was slap in a $1000 liner.

Old old house, but want to get it done in one day as this is only shower in house.

Don't need finishing as I will do that, just looking for shower/tub insert and toilet installed.

Recommendations?
3 piece tub,shower cost 1200 bucks,install pretty easy if no complications, toilet piece of cake.pm if your in the east.I have a guy.

shouldn't be any surprises with a toilet C/O, but with an old house, you never know

first house, I did have one where there was no proper flange on the waste pipe
toilet was sitting on the wax gasket and long screws with large washers holding it to the floorboards

tub is another story, may be some actual plumbing work

and getting rid of the old stuff is a pain if you don't have a truck
so that is one inconvenience taken care of by contracting

I've gone through a couple old house bathrooms. If the tub is any newer than the mid 60's , they go in before the plaster/drywall, so you are into wall taking apart to get it out. And the drop in's need to be custom (drain holes) . So you can get a 3 pc/4pc replacement acylic tub/surround, but if the walls arent fairly true and clean they look like arse.

And the 15min toilet swap, sure if the flange is remotely close and the floor holding up the how old? crapper isnt rotted where you cant see.

Its not gonna be done in a day, or three

I was going to demo everything and then be here for the install. Believe me I know what I could be in for and what the costs could creep to. Seeing as I need help with the big stuff I figured I may as well hire a company to fit a shower/tub in one day. Then have the rest of the week to drywall. I have a lifter and can manage one sheet at a time up the stairs by myself.

Sink/cabinet can wait until hubby comes back or I can ask for a quick hand. I cannot ask for a quick hand with the other stuff, hence hiring for install.

I have showers at work and the local community centre so no issue there for me.

I was going to demo everything and then be here for the install. Believe me I know what I could be in for and what the costs could creep to. Seeing as I need help with the big stuff I figured I may as well hire a company to fit a shower/tub in one day. Then have the rest of the week to drywall. I have a lifter and can manage one sheet at a time up the stairs by myself.

Sink/cabinet can wait until hubby comes back or I can ask for a quick hand. I cannot ask for a quick hand with the other stuff, hence hiring for install.

I have showers at work and the local community centre so no issue there for me.

Oh, I see, you are doing the gut and you just want the install. That changes things a bit. I don't know if you can put those plastic shower liners in without backing board already up.

Personally, as you feel confident with board, I would have the pros frame and install the tub, then install the green board and redguard myself and have a tiler come in day 2 to provide a nice finish. If you need to shower prior to the tiler being completely finished, some super six poly fastened to the ceiling protects everything important.

If you bought a Mirolin or similar fiberglass 3 pc, it goes into the framing, the drywall backing isnt required which makes it faster. and since its 'seamless' you hook up the drain and mixing valves and your done.
Tiling is set tiles, wait 24hrs, grout, wait 24hrs, seal. Unless your a subdivision tiler......

My two cents, if you use Pex which is fast easy and very good, dont run Pex to the showerhead unless you up size to 3/4 , the internal diameter of the 1/2 just hurts the flow at the showerhead.

Back
Top Bottom