Black Friday deals .... | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Black Friday deals ....

If anyone sees a good deal on a GTX 1060, I now need something to drive the stupid monitor :/. Yes I could do it a step (or maybe two) down the tree, but I already have a 1050 ti in another computer so getting more of the same doesn't make sense. Ideally I would get a 1070 or better, but for the price they want for them, screw that. I can wait a few years to play a game in 4k.

I feel like the price of video cards is very slowly returning to normal... maybe you will wait a few months, not years

I now need something to drive the stupid monitor
hehe - they gotcha....and you REALLY don't want to go back once you've been in 4k land.

This is a decent comparison tho again to see it - ......

[video=youtube;E-3ACiPM9y4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-3ACiPM9y4[/video]

It has 2k ( 144p ) which I find acceptable and easier on gear but for instance a quality 2k ips 27" Dell ans a 4k with ips are near on the same price point. these days....

I don't game but how many games support 2k ( 144p )?

What's the electricity consumption like on the OLED stuff? I know it climbs with size but wondering how the tech factors into it.

Best deal yet

https://www.amazon.com/TCL-55S405-5...inch+4k+ultra+hd+roku+smart+led+tv+2017+model

I bought my 49" for $359 ...

55" too big for my space but a good deal for those using it as a TV

04efcd78-a6e2-4009-bcc5-4bf61ed0a3d8.jpg

As far as power goes ....OLED the pixels are completely off when there is black so it's a bit of a tough thing to assess and also how bright you are running them ....some LEDs get to 1,000 NITs which will blister your eyeballs while the OLEDs are up to 750 but both of those are too bright for dark room viewing .....even a 5k iMAc at 500 NITs is too bright in a dark room.

There are a few more sources

https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B01MTGM5I9/ref=dp_olp_all_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=all

••••••

And just when you thought it was safe....

8K TV – everything you need to know
21st November 2017 by Joe Cox

sharp_8k_tv.jpg

Sharp's 70-inch 8K TV

While many of us are only just getting used to the idea of 4K TV, some brands and broadcasters are already investigating 8K resolution video...

Yes, 8K video could one day be a reality. It may not be any time soon, and there's no guarantee it will ever happen, but from 8K TVs to 8K broadcasts, there is already plenty of investigation into how 8K content could become a reality.

It's fair to say 4K TV is now mainstream. That doesn't mean we're all watching it, all of the time, but if you're sizing up a new TV, and you care about picture quality, 4K resolution should be on the spec sheet.

And, thanks to Amazon Prime Video, Netflix, YouTube, 4K Blu-ray, BT and Sky, there is finally 4K content to watch. With what looks set to be the first 4K World Cup just around the corner, it really is a great time to get involved.

But, as ever in consumer electronics, there is always something new on the horizon. The prospect of 8K certainly shouldn't affect your eagerness to go 4K, but to be informed is to be empowered, so we thought we'd round up the 8K state of play for the future-gazers among us. So, who's working on 8K? And when could it really become a reality? Read on.

8k_resolution_chart.jpg

Read more at https://www.whathifi.com/advice/8k-tv-everything-you-need-to-know#Os4k6R0OchfJHFro.99

there's now no justification for buying anything less than 8K

just kidding MD...good thread

FWIW....little over a month ago I bought a 55" Sony 4K unit
runs android TV, unbelievable PQ and plays well with my SMB NAS
gave up trying to find an affordable set that size with 120hz refresh rate
this one with the Sony frame interpolation stuff and 60hz is acceptable for action

Last edited:
It will be a race to the bottom until Boxing day ....but lot of good watching on now.
Any 4k with FALD is worth considering.
Choosing a TV versus a unit that will double up as monitor and TV are somewhat different processes.

Anything above 50" gets a bit iffy for nearfield watching ( 3') while 65 and up are better for TV watching around 6 to 8'.

Nearfield depends a bit on your focal distance for using a monitor with a computer. What you want is a FOV that just goes to the edges of your vision 40-43 you can come into 2' ....49" you can do 1 meter. I have used a 55" OLED Nearfield and it was spectacular....but a tad overwhelming.

If you wear reading glasses as I do....then you can get a prescription for "computer glasses" that have a different focal point than glasses that are used to books or on your laptop.
Makes quite a difference depending on your diopter.

Last edited:
For sports, I project onto an 8' section of wall, which makes it look like you got the good seats. For anything else it's kind of overkill.

Back
Top Bottom