help with a 2000 sv650s sitting for 6 years | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

help with a 2000 sv650s sitting for 6 years

Good day eh !
I like your thread; and that you want to turn wrenches; the SV650 is a terrific track bike.

But, you will be WAY further ahead in money and time if you just buy this: FS-2002-SV650-Track-Bike-Package listed here on the gta.
keep your sv as a project or for parts. Even if you put 3 large into your project it won't be near as good as this bike on the track. If you think about it, its a no brainer. Its priced at $3000. Check it out. Price things on the bike along with the extras.

The bike is discussed around posts #380 in the thread "reasonably priced track bikes for sale " as well as posted under "bikes for sale." This is a great opportunity for you, seeing as you have a full spare bike already.

Last edited:
Good day eh !
I like your thread; and that you want to turn wrenches; the SV650 is a terrific track bike.

But, you will be WAY further ahead in money and time if you just buy this: FS-2002-SV650-Track-Bike-Package listed here on the gta.
keep your sv as a project or for parts. Even if you put 3 large into your project it won't be near as good as this bike on the track. If you think about it, its a no brainer. Its priced at $3000. Check it out. Price things on the bike along with the extras.

The bike is discussed around posts #380 in the thread "reasonably priced track bikes for sale " as well as posted under "bikes for sale." This is a great opportunity for you, seeing as you have a full spare bike already.

And he can have fun getting the spare engine up to speed while not being concerned about hitting a hard deadline and missing track days.

That is a really good deal but right now, Wife would kill me if i went out and bought an other bike. Lol. Only reason she said yes to this one was because it was free. I'm in no hurry to get this on the track yet. I have my cbr for the track. The SV is more of a learning experience for me and if i can get the engine to turn without blowing anything up i'll see what else I want to do it.

That is a really good deal but right now, Wife would kill me if i went out and bought an other bike. Lol. Only reason she said yes to this one was because it was free. I'm in no hurry to get this on the track yet. I have my cbr for the track. The SV is more of a learning experience for me and if i can get the engine to turn without blowing anything up i'll see what else I want to do it.

So slightly modify boyoboys plan. Get this one running well, play around a bit with it on the track stock and then sell it to fund a track bike. Good suspension is damned expensive to buy new, it is much more cost effective to buy a bike where someone already sunk in all the money.

lol. nice bike to wrench on and track. I hope you post up some pics of the project as you progress.

As for prepping the engine for first turn over - WD40 sprayed inside the cylinders won't hurt. I used to spray wd40 into a running rz350 airbox when it would start running on one cylinder. Why? the rings were sticking on that cylinder and the wd40 would free it up lol. I know most people don't like wd40 but it proved itself to me for cleaning/freeing things up. it won't hurt.

lol. nice bike to wrench on and track. I hope you post up some pics of the project as you progress.

As for prepping the engine for first turn over - WD40 sprayed inside the cylinders won't hurt. I used to spray wd40 into a running rz350 airbox when it would start running on one cylinder. Why? the rings were sticking on that cylinder and the wd40 would free it up lol. I know most people don't like wd40 but it proved itself to me for cleaning/freeing things up. it won't hurt.

It probably worked because I'm almost certain that a major component in WD is liquid propane, plus a small amount of lubricant in suspension
... but as to your believing you were making a stuck ring free up :/ I'm skeptical.
It is however much safer then using ether.

thanks guys I'm going to post up pics soon of the bike what it currently looks like and the long process of before and after for each part. I was also looking at the motion pro tire balancer and kit to remove tires by myself. I don't know what you guys think of it or if there is a better option. im currently making a list of basic things i'll need. I have a flikr account so i'll post images up there, also a amazon prime so storage is no problem for pictures.

The amount of oil in WD40 vs fogging oil is very minor. If you want to a good solid coating of oil on dry surfaces as well as rings etc, a product with a much higher oil content is far preferable. A big part of what’s in WD-40 are solvents which are quite dry, with only a 25% light oil content.

Spray some WD-40 on a surface, and then spray some fogging oil next to it and the difference will be very clear.

FWIW, spray cans of WD-40 uses carbon dioxide as a propellant now versus propane.

Last edited:
At least you only have to worry about 2 cylinders & not 4

thanks guys I'm going to post up pics soon of the bike what it currently looks like and the long process of before and after for each part. I was also looking at the motion pro tire balancer and kit to remove tires by myself. I don't know what you guys think of it or if there is a better option. im currently making a list of basic things i'll need. I have a flikr account so i'll post images up there, also a amazon prime so storage is no problem for pictures.

@Domon perhaps you could keep a tally on costs of parts to show the cost difference between building your own race bike and buying an already built used race bike.

The amount of oil in WD40 vs fogging oil is very minor. If you want to a good solid coating of oil on dry surfaces as well as rings etc, a product with a much higher oil content is far preferable. A big part of what’s in WD-40 are solvents which are quite dry, with only a 25% light oil content.

Spray some WD-40 on a surface, and then spray some fogging oil next to it and the difference will be very clear.

FWIW, spray cans of WD-40 uses carbon dioxide as a propellant now versus propane.

this is an excellent thread :) discussing the composition of WD40

main solvent in WD40 is fish oil

and you're right, it has very poor lubricant properties
back 30 years ago when I was a tech
I watched an apprentice assembling a valve with O rings in it
he was using WD40 as assembly lubricant
he cut the same O ring 5 times before deciding to take my advice and use oil

and as for WD40 breaking free a stuck ring like mentioned, sure I believe that can work
but before firing the engine I'd want something with better lubricating properties in there too

and as for WD40 breaking free a stuck ring like mentioned, sure I believe that can work
but before firing the engine I'd want something with better lubricating properties in there too

This is the key. WD40 is fundamentally a convenient solvent, not a good lubricant. I use it to clean things which then get lubricated with a better fluid. In the days where WD40 had propane, it did work reasonably well as quick-start as it provided some lubrication in addition to fuel (especially for 2-strokes).

I know one factory/machine shop where they were going through tons of spray cans of WD-40 so management bought a 45 gallon drum and plastic spray bottles to minimize cost. Usage dropped to almost nothing as it was primarily being used for convenience. Once people had to work a tiny bit to use it, they substituted the appropriate products.

http://www.hydrogen18.com/p/sv650s-cartridge-fork-conversion.html

Hey guys I know im not at this stage yet but i found this website that talks about taking f3 uppers and combining them with the sv lowers. the forks will stick out of the triple tree by 2inches or so which means i can mount the clipons over the triple instead of under (stock). what do you guys think of this idea. (I'm 260 with full suit on).

main solvent in WD40 is fish oil

Don't believe everything you read online without fact checking. ;)

From wd40.com:

Myth: WD-40® contains fish oil. Fact: Consumers have told us for years that they've caught some of the biggest fish ever after protecting their fish hooks and lures with WD-40®. We believe this legend came from folks assuming the product must contain fish oil since it appears to attract fish. Sorry Charlie®, it just ain’t so.

Easiest and most accurate way to determine what chemicals are in a pre-packaged product it to check the MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheet)

... checked just now and #1 ingredient is listed as "Aliphatic Hydrocarbon" and Propane is an Aliphatic Hydrocarbon although there are several other chemicals that fit that description.
I'm going to take a wild guess that propane or butane are the cheapest and most readily available forms of Aliphatic Hydrocarbon

Last edited:
It probably worked because I'm almost certain that a major component in WD is liquid propane, plus a small amount of lubricant in suspension
... but as to your believing you were making a stuck ring free up :/ I'm skeptical.
It is however much safer then using ether.

I can understand your skeptism. But before and after compression tests were night and day different on the cylinder. Eventually the top end got the refresh it deserved. It is much more common to get a stuck ring on a 2 stroke vs a four stroke.

The first engine I ever took apart as a kid was a 50cc solex moped given to me by a family friend.. One of my older brothers showed me the ring(s) were stuck solid in their grooves. We cleaned and freed up the rings/grooves, put the engine back together and...she runs! lol. Every friend in my neighbourhood crashed that top heavy moped at least once. A stuck ring can lower the compression enough that an engine stops firing. I would not recommend wd40 as a lubricant - but it is a good solvent cleaner.

I mention this as I was thinking there was a concern the engine may be stuck from sitting. wd40 sprayed in the cylinders via the spark plug holes wouldn't hurt before attempting first turnover..

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom