Race / Track bike winter "To-Do" list | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Race / Track bike winter "To-Do" list

Two brake related questions:

1. Since I have purchased a Brembo 19RCS for the upcoming season, I have been told to also look into going to monoblock front calipers(from an 04-06 R1) to replace the 2 piece Tokikos on my 05 GSX600. The cost isn't too bad and I can definitely see an advantage in brake feel but do you guys think its really worth it? I got a good set of Vesrah pads on my bike right now and a brand new spare set which I can't use if I switch.

2. What pads are you guys using? Vesrah seems to be a popular brand for track/race guys but thinking there are others that are similar and maybe even better. Coming from the car world, I understand how personal preference plays a big role and therefore is not so cut and dry.

For pads, I recommand SBS dual carbon.
Very reasonable on price and excellent bite on dry and wet. Just need to heat them up on the warm up lap.

Thank you!

I've experienced the same issue, re: rear end lifting, and it's made for some butt clinching moments. Although it did not happen all the time, I just assumed it was due to my inexperience(and it still partly is), but I have read the same thing about others who used Vesrah pads. Apparently the SRJL XX version has less initial bite so I may just try those instead, and in that case I might as well go with the monoblocks since I will be buying new pads anyways.:toothy10:

Can you recommend specific compounds for the others you mentioned? Similar or comparable to the Vesrah SRJL XX's that is. Main focus for me is getting in as many laps as a session will allow so resistance to fade is most important.

Edit: Here is some footage of one of the bigger "moments" https://www.instagram.com/p/BaAnXJQhoGL/?taken-by=cwhitey77
:lmao:
Yes the SRJL XX is supposed to have less initial bite. Not sure about other brands. I think the Ferodo XRAC is only one compound. Its one of the nice things about Vesrah as you have a variety.

Need to figure out a custom exhaust, as my last one split on my last day of the season... just not in the mood to drop $800 on a slip on for the RC8. Probably go back to the shop that made mine last season and see what they can do for starters.

If I have to replace some bearings, should I go OEM or is there another aftermarket supplier that is a better option?

For pads, I recommand SBS dual carbon.
Very reasonable on price and excellent bite on dry and wet. Just need to heat them up on the warm up lap.

I have to disagree with the WET portion, i made the mistake of going out in full rain, no brakes at all!!!!!! too much water cools them down and when cool nothing. fantastic in the dry

Update:

-Removed rear swing arm and cushion lever and found all bearings to be in great shape so I cleaned and re-lubed. Also removed the steering head and cleaned/lubed those bearings too.

-Reinstalled my recently freshened suspension. It was found that the forks AND rear shock were significantly under-sprung for my weight, not to mention questionable piston/oil setup. After the bike is back together, I will be taking it back for a proper setup.

-Test fitted the R1 calipers and looks like I need to mill 6.5mm from the mounting locations to make them work with my 300mm discs. I expected this based on others who have done it but no one could provide an accurate measurement. I will be trying the SBS Dual Carbon pads as well. Looking forward to seeing how these changes work in conjunction with my new Brembo RCS19!

-Finally received my new SB tail from Carbon666...a little disappointed in the quality, especially after taking 3 months to arrive(Italian postage system ships via bicycle). Looking to find a new place for the rectifier so the tail fits easier. Any suggestions? I know it needs cool air but no obvious spot with this in mind.

Anyone else making progress?

ZX6R
- all bent and broken parts replaced
- master cylinder fixed and serviced
- body work fixed and painted
- brakes serviced
- suspension is getting refreshed and set up now
- need to get some numbers on it and safety wire, flush brake fluid, change oil, and flush rad closer to the season

BMW
- brakes serviced
- bodywork painted
- need to safety wire, numbers, oil change, rad flush, and brake fluid flush closer to season

-Finally received my new SB tail from Carbon666...a little disappointed in the quality, especially after taking 3 months to arrive(Italian postage system ships via bicycle). Looking to find a new place for the rectifier so the tail fits easier. Any suggestions? I know it needs cool air but no obvious spot with this in mind.
Mount it on the underside of the tail/battery box

Anyone here upgrade their K5 GSXR600 clutch to a slipper unit? Trying to figure out a way to make it easy to adjust, similar to how the K6+ uses a separate opening in the middle of the clutch cover. The K5 600's do not.... looks like the K5 GSXR 750/1000 cover will fit but it is a 3000ml vs. 2800ml... thoughts?

750/1000:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Genuine-Suz...ash=item2ca52e0eec:g:44EAAOSw7FRWXHoe&vxp=mtr

600:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/OEM-Suzuki-...ash=item33e088a608:g:UKoAAOSwh21aafGT&vxp=mtr

In case anyone is wondering, the K5 1000 clutch cover WILL fit on the K5 600. I now have an adjustment window and an extra 200ml of oil so not bad.

Just about to install the slipper, then I have to finish prepping/painting the new SB tail. Also just in stalled the Brembo RCS19, Galfer lines, R1 calipers and lever feel is incredible. Looking forward to the first day on track!!

Everyone else ready?

Back
Top Bottom