Rank these states | GTAMotorcycle.com

Rank these states

bigpoppa

Looking into a possible adventure tour and deciding which states I should prioritize, as of yet nothing concrete is laid out, but out of the following states which would you rank higher, and lower in your experience??
(no routes are planned as of yet as this is fairly preliminary)

Pennsylvania
West Virginia
Virginia
North Carolina
Kentucky
Tennessee

Thanks

Adventure touring is great everywhere -- the State/Province matters less than the effort you put into planning your route.

Perhaps instead of prioritizing by state, you should be looking at destinations. For example, the Smokey Mountain range extends over NC and TN and spills over into northern GA. That's one destination and if you're going to go all the way down there you'll probably be taking the Blue Ridge Parkway in VA to get there.

What's your preference? Scenic rides or tight twisty roads?

Also, what is your timeframe? PA is on the way to the Smokey Mountains. If you're not trailering and you have time, then why not hit a few roads in the Allegheny and Susquehanna on your way?

Most people look at the time available and decide. If you only have a weekend, riding down to Deals Gap and back will probably not be a lot of fun.

On the FZ? Yikes, mileage isnt the best! :p

It’s the range that’s the problem, 200km+ and you will need fuel. When zx600 and I did PA this year I carried portable gas containers just in case.

I’ll have 30 days, and I’d like to be able to do both twisty and scenic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

plenty of time to see all of that in 30 days

and agree it would be a decent idea to compile a list of places that interest you
then rough out a route, and drill down further along that route for POI's
figure out how many miles you are comfortable with in a day
and what style of accommodation you plan on

but as for that list
only one I'd put on the gas stop only list is Kentucky
for me, it's in the same category as Ohio, to be endured on the way to interesting places

and yeah that small tank will be frustrating
but on the upside, you'll get to stretch every 2 hours

It’s not Alaska or Mongolia, I’m guessing there will be plenty of gas stations in the good old USA that I won’t need to bring a spare canister of gas...

no
one of the reasons I like touring in the US
pop density = lots of services
and way more affordable for lodging and meals

It’s not Alaska or Mongolia, I’m guessing there will be plenty of gas stations in the good old USA that I won’t need to bring a spare canister of gas...

By the time you do a decent loop in the middle of Pennsylvania there is a good chance your fuel light will be flashing with the fz09. It’s better to be safe sorry....

Oooootahhhh

Your list is too short! There are only 2 states worth exploring; Utah and California. and possibly South Dakota, that's a really cool place too. Otherwise your money is better spent in Canada eh. Everything sounds like a bargain in the USA because their money is worth more at the moment. Wait for it and that situation will probably turn around, I remember a time when our money was worth more, it's bound to happen again.

Sequoia National Park <- That is a must see in your life time! Go there before the trees are all gone, go there when it's open and when you don't need tire chains to enter the park. It's way up in the mountains, they still have snow there in late May.

Moab Utah <- it's adventure motorcycle paradise. Also the only place in that country that is truly off-road motorcycle friendly.

Just don't tell the US customs dude you are headed for California via Utah :/ the response will be "you can't get to California from Utah" and then they will give you a rough time, aim guns at you and possibly even strip search you.
:lmao: you can't get to California from Utah, what a dink, I can get to anywhere from here.

I would second Shane's ranking - but have to add every time I ride in any of these states I find a new hidden treasure that makes me fall in love with riding all over again. And I would add Ohio to the list. I made a wrong turn in Kentucky one time and after a sphincter clenching ride down a hill that turned into gravel half way down, I found myself on a scenic twisty road that rivalled some of the best I've ridden in Deals Gap :) You don't need to over plan, just relax and have fun and leave yourself time to explore that road that looks interesting.

Having said that, if I had a month I'd head back out to the south west.

The worst day for northern PA is Sunday ...rule of thumb - fill up when down to half whenever you see one open.
Some stations are not open on Sunday or close early. Anywhere near the Interstates there are lots of services....no so outside those areas where it is rural and remember there are lots of AMish regions as well.,

SE Ohio is just lovely.

And I would add Ohio to the list.

+1.

I'm not certain why anyone would recommend taking OH off the list. I spend 4 or 5 days in the Athens area every June and the back roads are amazing. Decent pavement, minimal traffic, most posted at 55 mph and minimal LEO presence. Stay far away from the major cities on the way there or you get sucked into terrible traffic.

+1.

I'm not certain why anyone would recommend taking OH off the list. I spend 4 or 5 days in the Athens area every June and the back roads are amazing. Decent pavement, minimal traffic, most posted at 55 mph and minimal LEO presence. Stay far away from the major cities on the way there or you get sucked into terrible traffic.

Triple Nickel (US 555) is an amazing road.

Haven't spent much time in Tenn & Kentucky but all the other states are full of good roads. PA is my favorite for oddball scenic attractions though. Also my least favorite in terms of alcohol sales and availability.

Haven't spent much time in (Ohio) & Kentucky but all the other states are full of good roads. PA is my favorite for oddball scenic attractions though. Also my least favorite in terms of alcohol sales and availability.

same here, have always slabbed it through those states with nothing but gas stops
thanks to this thread, I see there are reasons to get off the IS and nose around a bit

Back
Top Bottom