Motorcycles cause 10% of traffic deaths in Ontario - Sunnybrook study | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Motorcycles cause 10% of traffic deaths in Ontario - Sunnybrook study

That's easy - ask any adjuster. Women are at fault for considerably more accidents than men, their accidents are fender benders and with fewer injuries. Men have considerably fewer at fault accidents, but most of the spectacular ones. The spectacular accidents are expensive because of the injuries associated with them - fender benders without injuries are noise to insurance companies.

Last edited:
My guess is the number of injuries reported may probably OK, classifications are not. Do hospitals categorize MX, track or off road accidents as 'motorcycle accidents' for the purpose of this study? My guess is the triage nurse ticks a box and doesn't much care about determining if the accident was on a roadway. Considering there are as many offroad and ebikes operating as there are motorcycles, there is a huge opportunity for error.

How about Horse riding accidents, how much liability insurance does it require to ride a Horse?

... and those numbers will be slightly off too, because if you are smart you tell them 'my Horse threw me' otherwise the staff are brutal on you and inflict as much pain as possible!

I'm not sure that 57% women presenting to the hospital after car accidents, equates to 57% women having driven in said accidents. It could have been more, or it could have been less.

I don't think any adjuster would validate that any gender is more likely to get into a more "spectacular" accident. Or more frequent accident.

I don't think any adjuster would validate that any gender is more likely to get into a more "spectacular" accident. Or more frequent accident.
Go ask and adjuster or actuary, that's how they explain/justify the differences in male and female insurance rates.

Proper riding gear should be the law, just like helmets. I mean real riding gear, not textile and not the Halloween costumes the cruiser guys wear. This alone could separate riders into 2 groups; the ones who take their safety seriously and are allowed onto public roads and those who should ride off road where anything goes. I wonder how proper gear would affect these statistics. I've been a sport rider/racer/technician since the mid 80s and I see very few people using proper riding gear. There's a general acceptance of textile being "proper" gear. Where it may be true that some textile gear may be up to the task of protecting you in a crash at speed, it's probably more rare than good leathers. People need to get it through their heads that just because it's sold at a bike shop it doesn't mean it's worth buying. I've seen what happens to textile garbage when it hits the ground - complete limbs of jackets and pants being torn completely off at the shoulder seam and pants torn wide open along their seams even the seams inside the legs and crotch. If we want this sport to survive and not be priced/mandated out of existence then we must take it upon ourselves to be more responsible.

Looking at US M/C accident statistics motorcyclist fatalities are
in the 14 to 16% range of all traffic fatalities in a number of
states. 10% would be really low, but it is less than that in Ontario.

The headline “motorcycles cause 10 %…..” is inaccurate
and misleading. In 2016 of 775 traffic fatalities, motorcycles
were involved in 57 fatalities (7.4% of all fatalities).
Considering that for the last year of complete accident data so
far published for Ontario (2014) 43.1 % of motorcycle fatal
accidents were single vehicle ones (and therefore fault could be
presumed to be likely due to the motorcyclist) that leaves 56.9%
to have involved 2 or more vehicles. Traditionally, this sort of
collision data, in my experience of looking at actual collision
reports, suggests that about half of the 2 or more vehicle
collisions where one was a motorcycle, fault could be found with
the behaviour of the other vehicle.
So probably about 1/3 of the motorcyclist fatalities are the result
of errors by other vehicles. Therefore, citizens on motorcycles
and making errors while riding are principally responsible for
about 5% of the road traffic fatalities in Ontario.

Now to look at the medicos report.

SO……. I have looked at the draft scientific and final published scientific paper and both say that.....
“The study was conducted by the Institute for Clinical Evaluative Services and the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre. The study examined Ontario crash victims (26,831 motorcyclists and 281,826 automobile passengers) from 2007 to 2013. It calculated the cost of the crashes to the health care system, and compared the aftermath of the car crashes to the bike crashes.”
I went to the official Ontario statistics (ORSAR) for the full years 2007 through 2013 (The medical study covered data from spring 2007 to spring 2013) and counted up the following totals for the seven years 2007-2013.
Total number of road licensed motorcycle and licensed moped drivers and passengers involved in accidents – 13,493
Total number persons requiring treatment at emergency rooms but NOT requiring a stay in hospital of 1 night or more – 7,696
Total number of persons requiring a stay in hospital of 1 night or more – 2,064
Therefore the total hospital cases relating to motorcycle accidents in those 7 years should be 9,760, not 26,831.

Why do these figures differ?
Probably the fact that the scientific paper’s authors wrote that the coding system used by the hospitals has never been validated for distinguishing “amongst motorcycles, mopeds, motor scooters and motorized bicycles” and the fact that in looking at information from that source some years ago I noted that there were injury cases of “scooter riders” over 90 years of age reported. Presumably to someone who works in a hospital, a ‘scooter” may be a device to assist senior’s mobility.
The number of bicycle accidents over those 7 years is recorded by ORSAR as 17,861 and the injury (emergency treatment and admitted for at least one night’s stay treatment) totalled 9,299 cases. Maybe motorcycles and bicycles are being confused by hospital staff who probably are more interested in patient care than in recording information for statisticians.

AFJ

My thoughts as well. I would also say there's a lot more traffic and distracted drivers out there than say 20 years ago. ATGATT would be natural for newer riders. Finally, I would think courses like the m1 exit are better now then what was available then.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I think the m1 exit test in Ontario is could be a LOT better. Places like BC at least have you ride out onto real roads.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Many old farts I see on big iron dress as badly as, if not worse, than "squids." Short sleeve Ts or Harley-themed wife-beaters or sleeveless vests and a tiny brain-bucket. At least most squids use a full-face helmet if little else. Most of these guys, even knowing their own mortality and frailty, refuse to eat right or exercise and thus are borderline morbidly obese, have poor muscle tone, little flexibility etc. Their choice of machinery is not based on them wanting to be safer, it's purely a fashion statement, as is the rest of their get-up. They ride as fast (or as slow) as they do because of the heft of the machines, the lack of capabilities of the machines, their own fears/limits etc.

Not sure where this fits into the analysis. While older guys on cruisers cover more miles, the places they're doing it -- controlled access highways or secondary roads -- don't have the same risks as those faced by the urban sport bike rider. While secondary roads have junctions and intersections these are nothing like the hazards posed at urban intersections, exits from malls and plazas etc. IOW, I can cover the distance from Toronto to Ottawa and probably face a fraction of the hazards of riding from Front & Bathurst to Bloor & Bayview.

I would agree with this. The number of close calls on my daily work commute exponentially outnumbers any of the longer day trips I've ridden. But I suppose the severity of your typical urban accident is probably much less fatal?

Back
Top Bottom