KN-204 Oil Filters Recall | GTAMotorcycle.com

KN-204 Oil Filters Recall

Thanks for the heads up. Just bought one of these for my race bike from Rider's Choice a couple of months ago since they didn't have OEM. Will change it to an OEM one for peace of mind

I did the same.

Thanks, I'll have to check the date codes on mine.

There's a hole on the other side of that nut? I always thought they just welded/glued that on to a regular oil filter casing

I think moto america rules were amended (last year?) - stipulating that only oem oil filters can be used. They had trouble with cheap aftermarket oil filters leaking on race bikes. K&N filters are now made in thailand.....this isn't really new news.

ditto problems for automobile oil filters too....

choose your bike and auto oil filters carefully, there are also reports of the filtering material collapsing inside filters.

Last edited:
Does it have the welded hex on the end? If so, it may have been manufactured on the same line with the same situation. If not then it won't have this particular issue.

Sooooooo would this recall apply to HiFlow HF204RC as well??

I've winterized my bike with one of these...

Hi-Flo, K+N and a number of other aftermarket oil filters have leaked on my customers bikes. I won't install such filters. I will only install OEM filters or possibly a FRAM filter because their seals are a square section O - ring which seals properly.

You should also be aware that many other problems are caused by aftermarket oil filters such as: upper lubrication system flow back, restricted oil flow, bypass relief valve opening at low pressure and filter element collapse.
Use good judgement and stop risking your engine and personal safety by avoiding this garbage.

I wish manufacturers would put a nut on their filters. It's so convenient.

Somebody probably has a patent on it (probably the same for the ones that take a 1/2" drive in the bottom). From an OEM viewpoint, all the dealer techs should have the proper size oil filter wrench, so why bother wasting a few cents of cost on each filter?

Somebody probably has a patent on it (probably the same for the ones that take a 1/2" drive in the bottom). From an OEM viewpoint, all the dealer techs should have the proper size oil filter wrench, so why bother wasting a few cents of cost on each filter?

Because they'd sell more filters? The nut is the only reason I buy k&n.

Because they'd sell more filters? The nut is the only reason I buy k&n.

K&N oil filter patent includes the nut. Not sure if that precludes other from using a welded nut.

"2. The high capacity oil filter of claim 1, wherein the canister includes a welded nut configured to facilitate removal of the oil filter from the engine by way of a hand-tool. "

Many are saying these leaks are being attributed to people wrenching the nut (over tq) creating a stress point and mashing up the seal, been happening for a while and as someone pointed out tracks have been banning K&N filters.

I've always hand tighten all my oil filters, but I think may need to adhere to Murphy's Law with this one, since I have a spare Ams filter sitting around it's almost guaranteed to leak on me next year.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

I used a K&N once. A KN-204. It failed, in the exact manner this recall describes.

I won't be buying again.

via Tapatalk

I have 3 of these filters..i just sent an email to KN....will see what happens.
Thanks for the info....

I have 3 of these filters..i just sent an email to KN....will see what happens.
Thanks for the info....

Did the same and was told to contact distributor (GP Bikes).
Did that and GP said they were not notified of anything.
Keep us posted on what KN says.

I have been using the Hi Flo 163 on my BMW for over a decade.
Never a problem, but then it doesn't have the welded nut.

Riders Choice installed a number of K&Ns on my bike over the years. The last one failed (installed last August), in the exact manner this recall describes, as I was going thru Gananoque on a weekend tour to the Adirondacks in October. The local CrappyTire saved the day and the weekend on that occasion (put a Fram filter on as a temporary measure, topped off the oil and off we went).

Read good things about Purolator One filters. As I returned home from that tour, I immediately did a full oil and filter change, now using the Purolator instead. As I was the third person in my entourage whose K&Ns have failed in the same way, I am never touching them again.

Back
Top Bottom