Simcoe County Forest on street bike? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Simcoe County Forest on street bike?

mimico_polak

Site Supporter
Anyone know how the Simcoe County Forest trails are and whether they're super technical / difficult terrain or is it something a street bike with 80/20 tires would be able to do? Thinking of keeping the CB500F and just switching up tires to get out there near the cottage come next Spring.

I live in Barrie and am a member of scorra. The actual trail system consists of mostly single track with logs, roots and rocks. It is very sandy. I don't ride ride my versys through there.
There are lots of gravel roads to explore though and a set of tkc80 tires would make that easier.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Cool thanks @Iceman! Cottage is in Wasaga so if I do end up selling my bike might get a small dirt one instead.

If I don't sell it I need to look at other options! And slapping a set of semi-off road tires might be the answer.

Most SCORRA Tracts have wide gravel/double track roads and single track. You can have sufficient fun on the main 'roads' on a 80/20 tire.

It's amazing what a bike will go through on street tires. They hate mud and obviously a knobby tire is better, but you can get through a lot. I took my nighthawk up through the trails north of elephant lake road and the only time I got stuck I was in mud up to the pegs.

Most SCORRA Tracts have wide gravel/double track roads and single track. You can have sufficient fun on the main 'roads' on a 80/20 tire.
Agreed. Just not sure it's worth it to buy an Oftr membership to run a street bike through the double track. It's not the tires I'm worried about in there, it's the ground clearance on a cb500f I'd be thinking about. If you go slowly and choose your route carefully but how is that any fun?
@Mimico_Polak, you'll have more fun on a klr or drz. But if you want to check out some fun gravel roads and explore the area come spring pm me, I'll bring the versys instead of the drz. I live in Barrie and could lead you on a solid gravel run.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

OFTR & SCORRA member here.
There is a lot of two-track you can ride safely on your Honda...80/20
tires will feel a bit greasy, but with
proper fitness and riding skills
you should be fine...just make sure
you are legit if visiting oftr trails...
most important thing to remember
focus on terrain and have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Get the right tool for the job. Could you do it, probably but your going to destroy what I would assume is a street bike in pretty good condition. You would have a lot more fun and it would probably save you money in the long run to get a small dual sport bike to go hit the single track.

You can try ... not sure how much fun you will have on overweight and under-sprung bike like CB500F ... I just not even remotely dual sport, regardless what tires you throw on it.

A buddy of mine road his DRZ400SM with sm street tires/wheels on the OFTR Midhurst Trail ride a few years ago... if he can do it on street tires you can manage on 80/20 tires no problem if you take your time.

That said, I definitely wouldn't recommend it and you probably won't have much fun as others have mentioned ;)

I talked to a guy with a DRZ400SM running Avon Distanzia's on the 2015 OFTR Midhurst ride. Might have been your friend.

Doesn't this look fun? :toothy8:

[video=youtube;jFcH25_7CC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcH25_7CC0[/video]

Lifting a dropped DRZ400 up on a sandy trail is a piece of a cake compared to lifting CB500F .... just saying. I know, I know ... it can be done, but it cannot be pretty or fun.

Anyone know how the Simcoe County Forest trails are and whether they're super technical / difficult terrain or is it something a street bike with 80/20 tires would be able to do? Thinking of keeping the CB500F and just switching up tires to get out there near the cottage come next Spring.
It's doable and can even be fun if you put on TKC80 tires. I ride through SCORRA single and doubletrack on my CB500X with those tires, obviously slower than my YZ250FX. I have done the Bethany small bike route on this bike also. If you are concerned about dropping the bike at all, I would not do it.

Here is a video of me at Creemore area which is similar to the doubletrack in Simcoe Forest.

https://youtu.be/Jy5RKXPAap4

Cool thanks everyone for the feedback. I know this isn't the right/best bike for that type of riding, but I'm also looking for tracks closer to hard/packed gravel/dirt without too many ruts or roots on the track. Just looking at options of keeping the bike but not really using it on the road anymore....and not having a trailer I need something I can ride to Wasaga from Square One to actually use off the asphalt.

@Iceman I'll take you up on that offer in the spring if I still have this bike!

I was in that situation, and preferred to get rid of a street bike in exchange for proper enduro bike and renting uhaul trailer every weekend. Yes, uhaul can get frustrating and you have to work around their hours, but, in my opinion much better route than using road bike off-road when you don't even really using it on-road. If you car cannot tow, you really don't have a choice ... I don't know what's your particular situation, I am just throwing it out there. Imagine, where you could all ride off-road in the trailer + enduro scenario.

Doesn't this look fun? :toothy8:

[video=youtube;jFcH25_7CC0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jFcH25_7CC0[/video]

Looks like a pain in the ***.... what is the point?
Doesn't this look like fun?
giphy.gif

Clearly something is going on with your eyesight, if you cannot spot which one is more fun ... LOL

Looks like a pain in the ***.... what is the point?
Doesn't this look like fun?
giphy.gif

I'm not sure a 4' long pole attached to the top of your head is fun :/

I agree though, a street bike can mountain goat to a lot of places, but you definitely want to keep the speed down. A proper bike lets you have much more fun.

Back
Top Bottom