How does free trade work for the individual? | GTAMotorcycle.com

How does free trade work for the individual?

nobbie48

Site Supporter
If one goes to the USA and has new US made tires put on their car is there any duty under NAFTA. HST is understandable.

As long as an item is US made is the only Canadian entry cost the HST? Some goods like tobacco and booze have excise taxes added but general products should be duty free.

So am I correct too use exemptions for non-USA made goods and just paying the HST on NAFTA stuff?

If it's been subsidized in any way, you should owe the difference?

Then again some things might be excluded. Can't you check with the government?

If you drive to Buffalo, and you get tires installed there, why would you pay anything when returning? They can't smell the fresh new rubber you know. There's no way for anybody to identify those tires as tires that you just bought that day.

If you drive to Buffalo, and you get tires installed there, why would you pay anything when returning? They can't smell the fresh new rubber you know. There's no way for anybody to identify those tires as tires that you just bought that day.

Unless he plans on bringing back the summer rubber in the trunk.

"I was meeting a guy form craigslist that wanted to buy my tires but he didn't show up"

pretty sure OP knows he could likely sneak back over and not report the tires

so depending on what you drive
the $800 personal exemption may cover the cost and pay nothing

of you may have to pay just the HST on the portion over 800
if the tires are made in NA

pretty sure OP knows he could likely sneak back over and not report the tires

so depending on what you drive
the $800 personal exemption may cover the cost and pay nothing

of you may have to pay just the HST on the portion over 800
if the tires are made in NA

I was thinking that the US made tires or other goods shouldn't affect the $800 personal exemption that would be used for non-USA made goods.

Buy $800 electronics or clothes made on the Pacific rim and use the $800 exemption. Buy the tires made and installed in the USA as your benefit from NAFTA. The HST would apply to the tires the same as it would here. Does that work?

Why sneak back if you can come back legally. Don't underestimate border services. You risk fines and getting on the long term butt search list.

NAFTA mainly deals with duties so booze and smokes aren't covered as most of the money comes from excise taxes.

"I was meeting a guy form craigslist that wanted to buy my tires but he didn't show up"
Good luck with this. Stuff like this used to work, but it won't fly in this day and age. The CBSA is not stupid. They'll check your phone for the CL ad as well as text messages between you and the imaginary buyer.

It's best to simply pay up and avoid any trouble.

via Tapatalk

I was thinking that the US made tires or other goods shouldn't affect the $800 personal exemption that would be used for non-USA made goods.

Buy $800 electronics or clothes made on the Pacific rim and use the $800 exemption. Buy the tires made and installed in the USA as your benefit from NAFTA. The HST would apply to the tires the same as it would here. Does that work?

Why sneak back if you can come back legally. Don't underestimate border services. You risk fines and getting on the long term butt search list.

NAFTA mainly deals with duties so booze and smokes aren't covered as most of the money comes from excise taxes.

only example I can rely on is when I brought a furnace over the border that was made in USA

up to the exemption was tax and duty free, portion over that I paid HST only

Back
Top Bottom