How do we end this insanity | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

How do we end this insanity

So I started doing some math to figure it out myself, but for some reason my brain is in implosion mode. (36000/2)/365 = 49.3km per day on average over 2 years at ~$1400 premium = $3.84 per day = $0.078 per km ridden, right?

I'm happy with that :D As for what to do about it, gotta suck it up. Gotta pay to play.

Last edited:
I'm paying under $600 per year for full coverage on my versys, another $280 per year on my drz.
I figure that's the cheapest therapy I'll ever get.
You guys are looking at it wrong...

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

or they have the wrong bike

So I started doing some math to figure it out myself, but for some reason my brain is in implosion mode. (36000/2)/365 = 49.3km per day on average over 2 years at ~$1400 premium = $3.84 per day = $0.078 per km ridden, right?

I'm happy with that :D As for what to do about it, gotta suck it up. Gotta pay to play.

um, wrong :| if you have the cost and you have the distance, that's everything you need to calculate the cost per distance.

:clock: Time, well none of us has enough of that. Nice try though.

um, wrong :| if you have the cost and you have the distance, that's everything you need to calculate the cost per distance.

:clock: Time, well none of us has enough of that. Nice try though.
Like I said, brain no worky today. :rolleyes:

880$ per year for 2 motorcycles is pretty good, especially if you don't have any other vehicles to insure.
Same problem as me, pity it's physically impossible to ride both of them at the same time.

880$ per year for 2 motorcycles is pretty good, especially if you don't have any other vehicles to insure.
Same problem as me, pity it's physically impossible to ride both of them at the same time.
Well, then there's the wife's Gladius, the Honda odyssey and the Mazda 3. Td is getting enough of my money.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I have for the most part felt the same way as most of you about high ins rates.Three weeks ago my wife took a tumble in our garage (3 steps down) and suffered a serious brain injury,3 broken ribs,bruised lung and a broken wrist.She has been in 3 hospitals and is now in Cambridge in rehab.She is doing great and will recover fully in time.Bikes are a 4 letter word in trauma units for a good reason.There are patients in there that will never live a normal life again from motorcycle accidents and insurance companies pay out huge amounts of money to most of these cases.
Insurance companies do make huge profits.But they pay out bigtime also.I will still ride after seeing all the things i have seen lately.But i have a different perspective of things too.

Very sorry to hear of your lady's unfortunate injury, best wishes toward a speedy recovery.

... Insurance companies do make huge profits.But they pay out big time ...

Are you sure you don't mean; Insurance companies do make huge profits and We pay out big time :rolleyes:

& where is that money going to come from once motorcycles become completely unaffordable here?
will that empty the trama units and will car become the next 4 letter word in trama units of the future?
Seems to me we are all saddled with a failing system here and motorcycle insurance is just the tip of the iceberg, how about the insurance companies and the bureaucrats come clean on who pays for what and why, then maybe somebody might figure out how to turn this ship around.

Oh, btw I guess I should mention that I am what some call an eternal optimist.

Very sorry to hear of your lady's unfortunate injury, best wishes toward a speedy recovery.

Are you sure you don't mean; Insurance companies do make huge profits and We pay out big time :rolleyes:

& where is that money going to come from once motorcycles become completely unaffordable here?
will that empty the trama units and will car become the next 4 letter word in trama units of the future?
Seems to me we are all saddled with a failing system here and motorcycle insurance is just the tip of the iceberg, how about the insurance companies and the bureaucrats come clean on who pays for what and why, then maybe somebody might figure out how to turn this ship around.

Oh, btw I guess I should mention that I am what some call an eternal optimist.

Good points.Time will tell i guess.I think a lot of it has to do with the government we elect.There is a lot of lobbying going on.

Good read here -> http://otlablog.com/ontario-insurance-profits/ <- not particularly a recent write up but then none of these retrospect articles ever are, and there are lots of them all saying the same thing, we've been getting gouged for decades. Oh and they aren't just talking about motorcycle insurance, this applies to all auto insurance! Motorcyclists and sport bike owners in particular just top the list of cash cows in this racket.

I for one am beginning to think the best thing that could possibly happen for us, is that private profiteer companies do pull out of the business and that the whole mess be taken over by the government. At least that way the people who actually provide our medical services will be making the profits, (if there is such a thing). Last time I checked, hospitals and rehabilitation services in this country are funded and staffed by the public service and not by private insurance companies. + Ambulances are all government, that's the law. You can run a patient transfer business here, but you are not allowed to privately operate an ambulance.

not a bad idea, but as with everything, there's lots of stuff going on under the surface. All in all, if insurance is profitable, might as well have it pay for the public services.

Maybe they will improve.....lol

Now read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_auto_insurance ... and ask yourself; what model would we most benefit from if it was applied in Ontario.

Perhaps instead of comparing what rates we can get from the various providers operating in this provence, we should be comparing our vehicle insurance rates with those in the other provinces!

We used to have that in the late 70's, early 80's if you can remember.

Cheap insurance equalled cheap benefits/payouts. No thanks. In this case you really did get what you paid for.

Now read this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_auto_insurance ... and ask yourself; what model would we most benefit from if it was applied in Ontario.

Perhaps instead of comparing what rates we can get from the various providers operating in this provence, we should be comparing our vehicle insurance rates with those in the other provinces!
BC now has higher premiums than us http://www.news1130.com/2017/10/27/bc-car-insurance-ctf/

Though the CTF isn't the most reliable source of info, BC costs are certainly up there with ours. Where the cost of living is higher, rates are higher. Also, more scammers in urban areas (IMHO) so where the population is denser = higher premiums. These 2 things would explain a lot. We can't all pay exactly the same rates.

Cheap insurance equalled cheap benefits/payouts. No thanks. In this case you really did get what you paid for.

Oh I can remember that era pretty good; I've been riding motorcycles continuously since 1965 and paying motorcycle insurance continuously since 1971. I also remember sitting in front of my fireplace and burning stacks of old insurance bills, stopped adding them up once I hit 80,000$ it became too depressing.

... in that article where they say "the average driver will soon be paying close to $1,700 a year for insurance." is that for one vehicle or one driver/rider? Because I pay more then that for just my 2 motorcycles and I supposedly get the cheapest rate possible as a result of my age, use, rural location and clean driving record history.

Last edited:
But did you ever have to claim anything under public insurance?

$80,000 is not much once you start adding up medical bills/rehab. Now where is the issue? Too high insurance bills or too high medical procedure bills?

I've seen both sides and I'd rather pay for what I get now.

But did you ever have to claim anything under public insurance?

$80,000 is not much once you start adding up medical bills/rehab. Now where is the issue? Too high insurance bills or too high medical procedure bills?

I've seen both sides and I'd rather pay for what I get now.

I stopped counting at 80 grand and just started burning the paper in stacks!

I make it a habit to stay out of hospitals unless I have a purchase order in hand or when I was on salary, I'm retired now.
I've spent a total of one night in hospital and that was under observation only, after I exited the rear seat of a VW beatle via the front windshield. That was in 1967 and it was the only ride I've ever had in an ambulance.

I have a problem with 2$+ per kilometre for minimum coverage motorcycle insurance, how much do you pay per kilometre?

... when You go to the hospital, do they ask you for your OHIP# or your vehicle insurance ?

Last edited:

We have never had "public" or government sponsored (one payer) insurance in Ontario.
The closest we got is what we have now; modified no fault.

We used to have "unsatisfied judgment" but that wasn't really insurance.

Anyone that has driven in BC, Quebec or Manitoba would know there are problems there too. (You don't want to pay for commercial insurance in BC. When I lived in BC you could not get collision or comprehensive on a Harley. Just not offered. We insured them through Lloyds with a separate policy).

My uncle had a common name, somehow in the early 80's he got caught up in a stolen/mistaken identity issue. He had several DUI's registered wrongly against him. Since he worked for a utility company he needed a license to drive a truck. His employer took care of the company insurance but his personal insurer would not touch him, nor would any other until it was cleared. For about two years he had an insurance card issued by the Ontario government. Crap coverage, esp when the 67 Mustang got stolen.

Maybe this was covered under the unsatisfied judgement fund, all I know was that the Ontario government recognized and gave insurance to "the uninsurable"

Back
Top Bottom