License plate holder | GTAMotorcycle.com

License plate holder

bigpoppa

Got the bike from the dealer, wanted to put my old plates on it, and get insurance figured out after I had the bike so had the dealer deliver

Now that all that is sorted out, I realize the dealer didn't bother putting the little license plate holder that goes on the bike and holds the plate in place with bolts etc.

Its a 2017, Fz 09,

this is what it looks like:
https://imgur.com/SdnbDFz

Any ideas where I can get one? Going to guess the one's for cars don't work for bikes as the plates are smaller etc(or maybe they do?)

Looked on fortnine etc, most of them dont fit the bike apparently

2 bolts, 2 washers, 2 lock nuts.

I can't see you needing anything else?

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Problem is the plate doesn't really fit on it, the holes on the fender dont match as they are too narrow for the plate....

Only way I can see possibly getting the plate on the bike is by drilling small holes on the plate(not ideal)

From what I've seen most people put their plates on the fender as is, and have no need for a bracket or anything...

But as with everything else, ontario/canada is special and the plates are either sized weird or the holes are in the wrong place

On the previous bike I had a little backplate holder or bracket so it wasn't an issue(should have remembered to take it off)

It is a new bike, and i'd like to go to the dealer, but TBH they're a huge PITA to deal with.
If I can solve this by myself, id like to be able to

Update: Apparently there is space provided for this next to the 2 holes where you can drill so the plate fits nicely, and a lot of owners do this(I'm assuming dealers who put plates on do this as well)

Last edited:
You can't just drill new holes in the plastic to mount the plate? It has those cut outs in the edges to get the fasteners in.

The plate is off only by perhaps 1/2" max

If a hole were to be drilled, it wouldn't affect the other cut outs/holes

Last edited:
Without being there, or seeing a more detailed picture with the plate lined up where it is to be mounted, I am at a loss to see what the problem is.

Two new holes, and washers at the back to spread the weight across a larger section of the plastic back I g to keep it from stress cracking. Even if the existing holes are close to the new holes, its no big deal.

I am thinking of picking up an fz09 for my next bike. Too bad we won't get the mt09sp here.

Yeah the manufacturer intentionally left space there on that little panel where the 2 existing holes are, i am going to guess for precisely this reason(after all different countries have different plate sizes and laws, the UK for instance requires gigantic plates)

Its a fun bike, got to test ride it in the summer a few times, be sure you do too

My understanding is the SP only gets a better rear shock, the front forks remain the same despite the gold color

I managed to take one out on a demo ride. It was in Oakville. Basically just rode from stoplight to stoplight. ****** test ride, but at least I got a general idea.

Best bang for the buck out there right now.

I went all the way to hully gully in london, the entire time the lead rider was over the limit(but not I of course), so I got to open her up a bit in the back country, great fun

If the problem is what I think it is, you can always use black zip ties and run them around the sides instead of drilling new holes.
Clearly one is more sturdy than the other. There does seem to be space for new holes or just a chunk of metal with nuts n bolts to be a happy camper.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Thinking Ontario has wonky plates. I bought a nice plate frame only to find out when I got home, same problem you have. The mount on the back of my Honda has slotted holes so plate mounting was never an issue before. I just drilled the plate to match the new frame.

Will look into zip ties as well, before i start looking into drilling holes....

I’d be back to the dealer for the missing part and hardware.

Why risk drilling the plastic or effing it up.

Zip ties ??? Easy to steal your plate, and/or the plate will eventually cut them and it falls off. You will spend more time at the police station and MTO replacing it than you would at the dealer getting the correct mounting hardware that you already paid for.

Actually surprised you managed to get a new bike delivered to you without being plated or insured. Use zip ties for the time being, and get the dealer to mail you the missing part. Canadian tires sells theft proof licence plate bolts and nuts.

Tbh the level of incompetency was so high with the dealership, I just wanted to get the bike delivered and under my roof asap

Soon after they dropped it off, it was insured and plated(although technically the plates still have to be put on it)

Back
Top Bottom