Dual Sport Insurance | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual Sport Insurance

Aren't the those type of plates dealership plates?

Yeah, at one time. Now the newly issued ones are white background with red lettering. But if they haven't turned them in, motorcycle dealers may still have those blue background plates with white lettering that they can throw on their fleet and demo bikes.

This thread had a good summary:

I did a little research.
At one time in Ontario, motorcycle dealer plates were blue with white numbers.
They have been up-dated to white with red numbers, but if you still have the blue plates, they can be renewed.
Car dealer plates were orange with black numbers, but these have been replaced with white with red numbers.
The orange plates can continue to be used but the MOT is trying to phase them out.
An old timer was telling me about motorcycle plates from the 1960s. They had 3 plates in those days.
One on the back and one on either side of the front wheel.
You would get your new plates in April because then you would only have to pay for three-quarters of the year.

If you want REALLY cheap insurance for a DS ($150-300/year), you have to find a converted dirtbike pre 2007 when the laws changed. You used to be able to convert offroad only dirtbikes to blue plated status prior to the law change in 2007. Some are still floating around on kijiji but are getting hard to find in decent condition at a fair price. Some people have luck with some of the newer ktm exc models too that are factory street legal. But anyone I've talked to gets the crazy good rates on converted offroad bikes. They usually don't make the best "true dual sport" bikes though. Poor street manners but great for offroad. Not ideal for every day use or pavement droning.

Example, I pay 750/yr for my drz400 but on a converted 2005 crf450x I was quoted $210/year.

I pay the exact same amount for my '07 CRF250X (was offroad only), as I did for my '07 KLX250S.

This maybe difficult, but let's try. I want a DS bike as a second bike for off road and long distance adventures. I want to pay $300/year in insurance. What are my options?

Please note, I pay 1k for my gsxr and I got a quote of 885/year for a Klr 650. I think that is too expensive for a Klr.

You're being gooned. My KLR costs about 270$. Just under a grand covers my bike sled and car all together.
M

Where? in GTA? Remember, location makes a huuuge difference in your rate ...

In 2016 I paid $380 for a TW200, and 440 for a Ninja 250 from Desjardins. 50+, clean record, lots of M years, bundled car and home insurance, Markham address, insurance from DeJardins. I had to move to TD recently because Dejardins won't insure my SS bike. Im shopping for a small ADV, TD guidance was $440 or less for 300CCs and under, $650 for any 650cc.

Back
Top Bottom