Dual Sport Insurance | GTAMotorcycle.com

Dual Sport Insurance

black_CG2

This maybe difficult, but let's try. I want a DS bike as a second bike for off road and long distance adventures. I want to pay $300/year in insurance. What are my options?

Please note, I pay 1k for my gsxr and I got a quote of 885/year for a Klr 650. I think that is too expensive for a Klr.

I would have your insurance agent check their price on RED Huskies (BMW-era red 610, 630, 650, 510...) and if successful, search out Kijiji for one. I've had Intact quote me something ridiculous like 180-300ish on TE610 before, as they had it in their system as a DIRT BIKE... You are still covered on the road as you are road legal, but the insurance premiums are set-up based on a dirt bike risk model so you get through a loop hole...

The TE610 or TR650 are both more fun to ride on the gravel than the KLR, which is really a tractor.

..but as others have said the only way to get that low of a quote otherwise is outside Ontario.

I am 61 years old with a fresh M2 licence. (2 years)

With TD Insurance I pay $462 for a Blue Plated 2009 WR450F and $292 for a Blue Plated 2009 WR250R.

2017-11-04 15.04.11c.jpg

Last edited:
This maybe difficult, but let's try. I want a DS bike as a second bike for off road and long distance adventures. I want to pay $300/year in insurance. What are my options?

Please note, I pay 1k for my gsxr and I got a quote of 885/year for a Klr 650. I think that is too expensive for a Klr.

As previously stated, you probably will have to leave Ontario ... unless you live in the sticks.

It's all about location for the crooked insurance industry, then your tickets, age .... blablabla. If you are over 25, with no tickets and live in GTA, you will be paying from 600 and up ... for standalone one bike (your insurance company is not very good obviously for that kind of a bike). 300$ is a dream, unless you catch the agent on the other end making a mistake ...

Alright, thanks folks. Could I get a list so I can send them to my agent? Ideally, I would love a wr250r but damn they are not cheap!

37 yr old in Brampton, full M for over 5 years, paid $680 for an 07 KLX250 from TD.

Most of it will have to do with where you live.

37 yr old in Brampton, full M for over 5 years, paid $680 for an 07 KLX250 from TD.

Most of it will have to do with where you live.

53 years old, full M for 1.5 years, living in Stouffville, paying $753 for my 2012 G650GS with State Farm/Desjardins

Blue plate requirements are different from white plates.

you mean Green Plates ;)
...it goes by class of bike in the insurance system. The WR450 is classified as a Green Plate on their master list, so even if you have one of the older blue-plated gems, they still have it in the GREEN category on their $$$ matrix. I believe (i'm not an insurance wiz, just researched this when in a similar position), you are still insured for use as per your bike's registration (Blue plate, road, etc) but you pay as per the matrix designation and equivalent of a green/off-road plate)...

Aren't the those type of plates dealership plates?

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom