Changing engine oil for break in on cb300f | GTAMotorcycle.com

Changing engine oil for break in on cb300f

Frank_Fullman

I got my engine rebuilt in September and unfortunately have only put on a little over 300 km so far
Should I change the oil now before the winter? Or should I just wait till next year until I completed the 1000 kms? I’m in a difficult situation

How much was the engine build. How much is an oil change. You're welcome.

Translation......change oil now and again in the spring

Was this for the Honda warranty crankshaft replacement? If so, nothing was changed inside the engine that requires a break-in period beyond what the bike originally had when it was new.

If so, I'd do an oil change soon after the rebuild (i.e. now) just to make sure any contamination from dirty fingers and the like gets flushed out, and then resume normal oil change intervals after that.

OK that's different. (What happened to the bike to need a piston and cylinder when it's this new??) Change the oil now, use non-synthetic oil, and then next year do the scheduled oil change at 1000 km.

Normally when I build an engine, I like to change the oil after the first couple of heat cycles on the engine, and then again after about 1000 km. Always use non-synthetic oil for the initial build and for the first oil change.

I'd put it away for the winter as-is and finish the break-in in the spring.

OK that's different. (What happened to the bike to need a piston and cylinder when it's this new??) Change the oil now, use non-synthetic oil, and then next year do the scheduled oil change at 1000 km.

Normally when I build an engine, I like to change the oil after the first couple of heat cycles on the engine, and then again after about 1000 km. Always use non-synthetic oil for the initial build and for the first oil change.
My piston got burnt and the rings got burnt to because my oil levels got really low in 4000 km

What's the reasoning behind this? Not that I'm rebuilding any engines any time soon. Just more curious.

I would have changed the oil earlier after running ~ 80-100 kms using brisk acceleration and riding normally (don't baby a new motor). Then change again at 500-1000kms. Both with dino, ! wouldn't use synthetic oil until the bike has more kms...
edit
synthetic oils are generally not recommended for break in - as synthetic oil may/will hamper proper break in.

Last edited:
To put it simply, you don't need a special reason to do an oil change.
If you feel that given the situation your bike could use an oil change, change it.
Four litres of oil is not a huge amount of money.

My piston got burnt and the rings got burnt to because my oil levels got really low in 4000 km

Is replacement of the barrel and piston a "hail mary" or was the entire bottom end gone through as well (bearings, journals, cams etc)?

change it now
and depending on your storage practices
may need to do it again in the spring

and like stated, no synth until you're put on 1,000 km

Back
Top Bottom