MotoGP 2018 | Page 8 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MotoGP 2018

Tech3 running KTM machinery confirmed. 3-year contract to start. Hopefully it'll last a long long time. MotoGP needs a healthy satellite system.

Tech3 running KTM machinery confirmed. 3-year contract to start. Hopefully it'll last a long long time. MotoGP needs a healthy satellite system.
any word on zarco yet ??? is he also going to ktm with tech3 ???

any word on zarco yet ??? is he also going to ktm with tech3 ???

As a KTM fan, I can only hope so (that is, if he doesn't move to the full factory team)!!!
Get rid of Smith, maybe keep Espargaro if he manages to stay healthy. Sounds like he's really been helping develop the bike alongside Kallio.

As a KTM fan, I can only hope so (that is, if he doesn't move to the full factory team)!!!
Get rid of Smith, maybe keep Espargaro if he manages to stay healthy. Sounds like he's really been helping develop the bike alongside Kallio.

My money is on:

KTM: Zarco, Espargaro
Tech3: Oliveira, Binder (if he's ready) or Kallio (as a thank you from KTM)

My money is on:

While I would really like to see this happen in 2019, especially since most of last season he was no where due to injury, and even if he does win this year's championship (I really want to see Alex and Mir take him to the last round) it won't be that easy. I think that like Zarco he'll need another season to really get situated before jumping in; Luthi and Morbedelli were both saying in a recent VDS interview that the learning curve from 3 to 2 wasn't that great, but 2 to GP is way harder.

Still, its an interesting prospect if the bike development is there. I don't think KTM will be on point for regular podiums until 2019 at the earliest; nothing at testing suggests they will be up there. A part of me would like to see him stay on a satellite bike, just to see one compete with the works teams in the championship, but its likely he'll go to KTM for money and prestige unless Herve will source some massive sponsorship packages yo make up for all of that. By the sound of that call on Day 3 testing he felt resigned to the idea that he will likely go to the works team.

Crazy talk:

I was skeptical at first, but now I'm starting to wonder if Ducati don't want Zarco and if JLO still can't deliver and get used to the bike by mid season will he sign for Suzuki and be replaced by Petrucci; why would they give him factory support on the Pramac only to not resign him for next year if he was a one-hit wonder?

Last edited:
Very cool, upon reflection: 2006 onward was when they introduced V8s, so those were mostly V10 GP.

How was today's testing? Zarco topped the sheets and got close to JLO's qualy 2008 record by the sound of it.

Yeah, a majority were the V10s in their run up towards the 1000 hp mark before everything was re-neutered. The MotoGP bikes do sound very cool.

As for the 3rd day of testing, unfortunately I didn't have the chance to attend. Weekend work interfered and too many deadlines. It certainly is making me hum and haw over whether or not I should have bought a VIP ticket instead of the grandstand one; the testing atmosphere was more intimate and almost a ghost town. I imagine the grand prix weekend, despite being in a place that is probably the opposite to a Spanish crowd/setting, will be much busier by comparison and offer less chances to bump into the guys.

The KTM news is very exciting to me. Though I am perhaps too overly optimistic that KTM will magically have a similarly successful situation to the Torro Rosso / Red Bull situation in F1. Apples to oranges, but I believe it ushered in some 'new' life into the otherwise monotony of the recent Mercedes domination that began with Brawn GP using the Benz engines the year before. The Austrians certainly want to play ball and are willing to invest in motorsports as underdogs. Good on `em. Yamaha and lately Ducati are the only ones to really rain on the Honda parades.

Last edited:
My money is on:

i can understand kallio getting a perm inmate racing ride but binder and the other rookies no KTM needs a alien a top rider to steer the development same reason ducati took on lorenzo dovi is very good and last year he stepped up a notch but ducati didn't know what was going to happen last year(2017) back in 2016 when they were looking for a new rider .... its good to bring on a new rider /rookie to motoGP but KTM should leave that to 2020 or later not now the rider will not be able to give good feedback to the team until the 2nd or 3rd year in motoGP the step up from moto2 is not easy you read what morbidelli said the money would be better spent on a dani pedrosa or zarco etc who ever is off contract at the end of the year you know what i am saying a top rider
in the tech3 squad they need top riders to push development get up to speed with the other factories then get a rookie
cheers
chdr

Last edited:
This is the Marquez Doc coming out tomorrow that I mentioned earlier; not sure if that scene in the celebration at Cervera will appear, but lets see.

[video=youtube;ZmHBv6wzNVs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmHBv6wzNVs[/video]

Yeah, a majority were the V10s in their run up towards the 1000 hp mark before everything was re-neutered. The MotoGP bikes do sound very cool.

As for the 3rd day of testing, unfortunately I didn't have the chance to attend. Weekend work interfered and too many deadlines. It certainly is making me hum and haw over whether or not I should have bought a VIP ticket instead of the grandstand one; the testing atmosphere was more intimate and almost a ghost town. I imagine the grand prix weekend, despite being in a place that is probably the opposite to a Spanish crowd/setting, will be much busier by comparison and offer less chances to bump into the guys.

The KTM news is very exciting to me. Though I am perhaps too overly optimistic that KTM will magically have a similarly successful situation to the Torro Rosso / Red Bull situation in F1. Apples to oranges, but I believe it ushered in some 'new' life into the otherwise monotony of the recent Mercedes domination that began with Brawn GP using the Benz engines the year before. The Austrians certainly want to play ball and are willing to invest in motorsports as underdogs. Good on `em. Yamaha and lately Ducati are the only ones to really rain on the Honda parades.

1000hp on a qualy only engine, yeah... those were days, I honestly get that that tech developed in motor-sports eventually makes its way down to consumer grade vehicles, but I just hope we can all agree that the future of consumer grade stuff is EV and eventually autonomous thus we have Formula E and now MotoE classes to rely on for that so we can go back to racing these amazing fossils in v10 format.

The FIA should consider that this cost savings argument was bs from the get go, as it costs more in development then ever anticipated and has tarnished F1 in the past few years like never before; I actually watched most of the Vettel-RedBull domination era, but now... I won't even watch highlights as its so monotonous, let alone consider attending a GP. Now if you throw V10s and Alonso and Hamilton in the same team I bet it will at least return to 2007 levels of intrigue as their is definitely unfinished business there. And for cost savings, simply re-arranging and shortening the schedule and logistics of the racing calendar could do more to lower co2 than several race weekends: thats the real dirty secret of motorsports.

I'd like to see KTM up there, but its wishful thinking that it will happen in the next 2 seasons, Zarco will do well there will factory backing next season; not sure if Dietrich is responsible for Austria's resurgence in motorsports but, I still can't believe that RedBull can finance this level of participation in these immensely expensive sports from what is a horrible energy drink. Back in the day we had cases of that stuff as awards from events (consultation prizes) in the garage and couldn't give it away fast enough, they then started to hand out vitamin water, which was way more palatable but still hard to grasp how they can have the reach into so many sports... its like Leopard, they didn't even have a drink available for the longest time.

Anyhow, were close to getting this whole thing finally kicking off!

Last edited:
I just saw the documentary while at lunch, it doesn't have the Cervera footage unfortunately. Its a good watch if you're a fan, otherwise its nothing most who followed the season haven't already got an idea of anyway.

Edit: I just checked and Its on youtube right now, so try and watch it while its up.

Last edited:
It would be the same as asking if the wingglets are a waste on F1. There is a reason they use them.

According to what they say, it keeps the bike down on acceleration helping with wheelie control, I am sure there are other reasons

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Helping through acceleration is one point, but if they really reduce top speed they might not be for everyone. :boxing:

Where is everyone watching the race this weekend? Anyone can hook me up with something decent like we had before here? I never watch the races live so streaming or downloading after the race is the best option. I am willing to pay a fee too to join the secret society ☺

Have a quick google for eurosport UK streaming. Should take less than 30 seconds to find one. Cricfree (Sp?) has a stream for sure. Not a high definition one though.

Where is everyone watching the race this weekend? Anyone can hook me up with something decent like we had before here? I never watch the races live so streaming or downloading after the race is the best option. I am willing to pay a fee too to join the secret society ☺
pm sent but your pm box is full please delete some older messages :( i want to know as well

Last edited:
Cricfree (Sp?) has a stream for sure. Not a high definition one though.
That's an understatement if I've ever heard one, lol :)

MotoGP 2018 - Round 01 - Pre-Event Press Conference - Qatar is now LIVE STREAMING in BOTH 1080p (on MontrealSSD) and 720p (on MontrealSSD and Amsterdam)!

No idea how well it's going to work and I won't be around to babysit it but good luck!

**NOTE to my peeps. If you see someone asking for the link and you happen to have a copy of the link feel free to SEND IT TO THEM IN A PM. Do NOT post links in this thread. I won't be around to reply to posts or messages.

Back
Top Bottom