MotoGP 2018 | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

MotoGP 2018

Yamaha situation.

I'm really disappointed about yamaha situation.
It seems they have a huge electronic gap from honda/ducati.
How can this be possible with the unique central unit?
Is it an engineer problem? Do they have to fire their engineering?
2016: great bike
2017: totally wrong bike
2018: tried to go back to 2016 bike, with poor results

What do you think?

Yamaha situation.

I'm really disappointed about yamaha situation.
It seems they have a huge electronic gap from honda/ducati.
How can this be possible with the unique central unit?
Is it an engineer problem? Do they have to fire their engineering?
2016: great bike
2017: totally wrong bike
2018: tried to go back to 2016 bike, with poor results

What do you think?

:confused: That's unfortunate, I haven't bee able to sit down and watch these but I was really hoping Vinales, Zarco, and Jorge with maybe Rossi more in the mix this year with Dovi thrown in there for good measure.

I'm starting to think neither Rossi or Mav are good at bike setup, and they probably have benefited from Jorge and Aleix respectively more than was led on. Hopefully they get that sorted.

[video=youtube;b4Kqyho6PHU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b4Kqyho6PHU[/video]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FSz2gmRveD0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yK3xTuhSnX0

(Video limit quota exceeded)

Rossi not good at bike setup? LOL

His Ducati years don't paint him in a good light now do they? And now that Jorge left that bike is rubbish and Mav suddenly lost his championship edge when the M1 development veered to a certain direction last season... and on top of that its incredibly unpredictable, I'm just glad I Tech 3 lets Zarco choose which bike he get to ride and he will stick to the 2016 bike.

I think Mav has some serious head way to make in a month's time, because the title contender isn't the guy who just turned 39 in Yamaha garage. :D

That said, I'm not glad Yamaha are struggling, what ever it may be.

Marc and the HRC looks impressive, and has a new engine that given timing reports (even in long runs), seems to not be suffering from the acceleration issues they've had. I skimmed through the 1st day wrap up, and apparently Rossi was right about being skeptical to the new track as Thailand is mainly a 2-3rd gear track which seems pretty poor over all for a GP. Was this place built by Tilker(drome)?

Cronyism and plutocracy in motorsports runs deep and wouldn't surprise me its just another one of his abominations to enter into a growing market into the calendar.

Of course it is.. why wouldn't it be?

The Buriram International Race Circuit (BRIC) was opened on the 4th of October 2014 and is the first ever FIA Grade 1 Race Circuit in Thailand. The Circuit was originally designed by the famous Hermann Tilke. Hermann has designed many of today’s Formula One circuits and is well known for his different approach to circuit design.T

Last edited:
His Ducati years don't paint him in a good light now do they? And now that Jorge left that bike is rubbish and Mav suddenly lost his championship edge when the M1 development veered to a certain direction last season... and on top of that its incredibly unpredictable, I'm just glad I Tech 3 lets Zarco choose which bike he get to ride and he will stick to the 2016 bike.
His Ducati years were well documented for the teams blatant disregard of his input. I guess Stoner, Hayden, and Crutchlow were no good at setup as well? That bike didn't start getting better until Gigi Dall'igna showed up. Thankfully now they have Lorenzo's superior setup ability which has seen him bagging wins left and right. Oh wait...

I like Zarco but people seem to forget he got zero wins and only managed three podiums last year while finishing behind Rossi in the points, who missed a round with a busted leg.

Every team has its ups and downs. I don't think they are down because of either riders inability to setup a bike. It's testing. Rarely does it tell the story of the season to come. We'll see whats up when the lights go out in Qatar.

Spoken like someone who’s only been watching for a few seasons eh?

You 46'rs are too much; but I willing to admit I only got interested into motogp since... 2014? And only had a passing interest in it since SuperSic was still riding. But Casey Stoner could make that Ducati do what Marc has done on the HRC for several seasons, and that's mainly down to rider talent over compensating and pushing beyond its development and limits.

Maybe I'm wrong, and he is the 'GOAT' at setting up a bike, too, as most of you think he is or was, who knows... you're right, fans were writing him off last year and I was actually saying he could still be competitive (not WDC contender) so what's new, right? I just think that seat should go to a rider who on the verge of still winning (Japan 2016) wouldn't just drop out of the race and resign to next year because he wasn't hungry anymore. People keep saying he has passion but this seems like a facade, but I can't help but recall that race and see a person who needs to go manage a team and focus on his brand/riders/ranch and let the new talent get a shot.

And are you really comparing a Rookie on a Tech 3 to a 9 WDC in the Works Team and asking why he hasn't dominated him? Damaged leg or not, that's a horrible comparison, I mean even comparing him to Vinales' rookie season at Yamaha is a bit of stretch, but far more apt.

I get he loves riding, and has been the media darling for decades and got most people into the Sport, but... come on.

As for Lorenzo, that fact the he was on the Yamaha for so long and had a transition year on a bike that was not suited for his precise riding style makes sense, if he doesn't perform this year than I will admit he needs to think about his long term riding future because if Dovi is still on top he may not be able (or want) to remain in his position.

We're about a month away: lets see what happens.

Last edited:
You 46'rs are too much; but I willing to admit I only got interested into motogp since... 2014? And only had a passing interest in it since SuperSic was still riding. But Casey Stoner could make that Ducati do what Marc has done on the HRC for several seasons, and that's mainly down to rider talent over compensating and pushing beyond its development and limits.

Maybe I'm wrong, and he is the 'GOAT' at setting up a bike, too, as most of you think he is or was, who knows... you're right, fans were writing him off last year and I was actually saying he could still be competitive (not WDC contender) so what's new, right? I just think that seat should go to a rider who on the verge of still winning (Japan 2016) wouldn't just drop out of the race and resign to next year because he wasn't hungry anymore. People keep saying he has passion but this seems like a facade, but I can't help but recall that race and see a person who needs to go manage a team and focus on his brand/riders/ranch and let the new talent get a shot.

And are you really comparing a Rookie on a Tech 3 to a 9 WDC in the Works Team and asking why he hasn't dominated him? Damaged leg or not, that's a horrible comparison, I mean even comparing him to Vinales' rookie season at Yamaha is a bit of stretch, but far more apt.

I get he loves riding, and has been the media darling for decades and got most people into the Sport, but... come on.

As for Lorenzo, that fact the he was on the Yamaha for so long and had a transition year on a bike that was not suited for his precise riding style makes sense, if he doesn't perform this year than I will admit he needs to think about his long term riding future because if Dovi is still on top he may not be able (or want) to remain in his position.

We're about a month away: lets see what happens.
As someone who's been watching Rossi race for about 2 decades.... I feel old now.

Blah blah blah blah blah.

Maybe Rossi has lost his touch at getting a bike dialed in or maybe there are other circumstances.

His Ducati days were ruined by a design flaw that could not be tuned out of the chassis.

All of the success on the YZRM1 in the last.... 15 years??? Was helped significantly by VR’s set up help when he first moved to Yamaha.

Stoner’s ability to ride that turd and win a championship with it is only a testament to his superhuman riding ability. The bike sucked.

There is a reason Gigi tossed the entire ducati design and started from fresh including the chassis that had no flexibility for a wide range of settings, all this was well documented.... maybe before 2014 :)

You do not become 9 time world champion if you do not know how to direct the development of a MotoGP bike.

Rosi is not even my favorite rider but you got to give credit where credit is due.

There is a reason Gigi tossed the entire ducati design and started from fresh including the chassis that had no flexibility for a wide range of settings, all this was well documented.... maybe before 2014 :)

You do not become 9 time world champion if you do not know how to direct the development of a MotoGP bike.

Rosi is not even my favorite rider but you got to give credit where credit is due.

:p

Well things got lively, I just don't think its worth bemoaning the same point, but deductive reasoning lends itself to my 'theory' but I would like to be proven wrong as Yamaha needs to be in the mix for this to be out do the past few seasons especially if HRC has sorted out its acceleration issues from the get-go.

I'm going to be as blunt as possible as I think its better this way: In Rossi's era who was his biggest competition during his domination era, Biaggi, right? Then later Stoner, Lorenzo and Hayden would pretty much segue it into a different era and then Marc came and lit the World on fire and everything changed. I'm not saying his accolades don't have merit, of course they do, but its a different era now with talent being higher than ever before and its much more competitive than back then.

Again, I won't rehash the same argument, but I think bringing new blood into the sport isn't a bad thing: Mir and Binder being the best prospects I have my eyes on. You 46 guys make it seem this is Rossi-GP most times, despite my handle I'm actually a 93 fan, but I prefer seeing good racing than seeing pure dominance which is why I want to see hungrier and less apprehensive younger riders challenge Marc in earnest which he needs.

Recent trends lend themselves to your theory, but history and things like facts do not.

The fact that both VR and MV are struggling while JZ is doing well makes me think there’s an engineering weakness in the Yamaha team.

oh boy...silly season already? Rumour is Pecco Bagnaia is a possible candidate for Pramac in 2019.

Signed! The first domino has fallen.

https://twitter.com/PeccoBagnaia/status/966341474391609345

I am not 100% convinced he's ready. Nevertheless, there'll be 2 VR46 graduates in MotoGP in '19.

Also saw a rumor of MM re-signing with Honda. Not surprising, but man, if he moved, that would really throw things into peril.

Last edited:
Is that Petrucci's current spot? I understand his contract is up at the end of this year also. Even though they gave him a factory Ducati this year....

From the Luigi Dall’Igna interview at the Thailand testing, sounds like they will cut him from Pramac. Something along the lines of him deserving a factory ride....and since Ducati is full.....

Last edited:
Sometimes I wonder if Petrucci went to the Ducati factory team instead of Lorenzo if he would of done better than Lorenzo at one tenth of the cost.....

Petrucci is one of my favourite underdog riders. He deserves a good ride next year.

:p

Well things got lively, I just don't think its worth bemoaning the same point, but deductive reasoning lends itself to my 'theory' but I would like to be proven wrong as Yamaha needs to be in the mix for this to be out do the past few seasons especially if HRC has sorted out its acceleration issues from the get-go.

I'm going to be as blunt as possible as I think its better this way: In Rossi's era who was his biggest competition during his domination era, Biaggi, right? Then later Stoner, Lorenzo and Hayden would pretty much segue it into a different era and then Marc came and lit the World on fire and everything changed. I'm not saying his accolades don't have merit, of course they do, but its a different era now with talent being higher than ever before and its much more competitive than back then.

Again, I won't rehash the same argument, but I think bringing new blood into the sport isn't a bad thing: Mir and Binder being the best prospects I have my eyes on. You 46 guys make it seem this is Rossi-GP most times, despite my handle I'm actually a 93 fan, but I prefer seeing good racing than seeing pure dominance which is why I want to see hungrier and less apprehensive younger riders challenge Marc in earnest which he needs.

Rossi gave it to Marc in 2015 and was runner up to him in 2016 so I don't think you can say 'everything changed' when Marc turned up, or that he wasn't part of Rossi's era. Rossi is still racing at the top, so he is still within his era, no?

Sure Marc is incredible at riding a bike and, in recent years, is the man to beat - but that makes it even more impressive that Rossi has been up there battling and in some cases, beating him.

Back
Top Bottom