Anybody have a Waxed Cotton Jacket? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody have a Waxed Cotton Jacket?

CageyB

Site Supporter
Per title. I'm curious as to people's experience with the material. I've read that it loses waterproofness over time, tends to crack, and otherwise doesn't age well. I'm guessing leather is still the best choice for longevity and aging?

I've been looking at jackets on the polar opposite spectrum of the HIViz virus trend. Something that I can walk around the city, and doesn't scream at everybody "LOOK AT ME, I RIDE!!". I'm thinking jackets from Merlin, Roland Sands, etc., specifically.

I personally like the look of aged wax cotton, and have a cool Belstaff waxed cotton motorcycle jacket... however, it offers near zero abrasion protection. So now I only wear it off the bike. (And yes, the wax needs to be reapplied every few years or so to retain waterproofness)

Can't help you with waxed cotton but, I can understand wanting a riding jacket that functions well and can be worn around town. Personally, Klim looks the business for me. Well made, many styles and you can find something that can be casually worn. You can blow the off season budget but, it's really nice stuff.

I had a suit in the 90's, wont protect you in a fall so you may as well get gortex instead since its lighter to wear and good for 3 seasons. The wax stuff is too hot in the summer and offers zero advantage.

Funny, I just saw a guy wearing a Barbour jacket on the train today

Funny enough, nakkers, Klim was what gave me the idea in the first place after looking through their adventure catalogue. I'd prefer something more urban oriented, though.

Is the hood there to cool you off by funneling rain water down the back of your neck in foul weather?

For the Original Poster, get a proper riding jacket, and worry less about what others think. If you're going to ride, protection is important.

did you miss this part?

I'd prefer something more urban oriented

pretty sure the hood is to look urban
as OP indicated he was looking for
offers no useful function when riding a motorcycle

Per title. I'm curious as to people's experience with the material. I've read that it loses waterproofness over time, tends to crack, and otherwise doesn't age well. I'm guessing leather is still the best choice for longevity and aging?

I've been looking at jackets on the polar opposite spectrum of the HIViz virus trend. Something that I can walk around the city, and doesn't scream at everybody "LOOK AT ME, I RIDE!!". I'm thinking jackets from Merlin, Roland Sands, etc., specifically.

I sometimes ride with a Hi Viz jacket. Does it say, "Look at me I ride" Sure does. I like cagers seeing. Do not care in the slightest what people think of me. People texting will still walk into me. Or nearly. Dumb, dumb, dumb. Also love seeing them walk into fountains, glass doors and the like. Keep it up, please. Proof that does not matter what colour you are wearing. Do not worry what other people think. You want to wear something bright go ahead. People ask me why I am wearing something bright(Answer is obvious) If they are so concerned I will say it is a none yar.

Maybe try this place: http://www.motoport.com/

did you miss this part?

I'd prefer something more urban oriented

pretty sure the hood is to look urban
as OP indicated he was looking for
offers no useful function when riding a motorcycle

Nope.

Wear a Barbour coat around town when walking etc. Bought it 18 years ago and wax coat it every other. Lots of styles but expensive. But they have a outlet store in Niagara Falls NY that has clearance stuff. Nice Belstaff type ones there reduced.

I have this one. http://www.claymorejackets.co.uk/mojave_deluxe.htm

Mine has built in Forcefield armour. It's a great spring/fall jacket. I wax it at the end of the season and it stays looking great and dry.

I still have a Belstaff one piece suit and is waterproof, but it requires maintainingevery year. I bought it in 1997 so it's 20 years old. It's not abrasion resistant so only wear it as a waterproof layer over my gear.

I would stay away from Belstaff today though. They are more of a fashion item, although I think wax cotton is a little impractical for this purpose as the wax comes off on car seats, etc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom