OshKosk Wisconsin July 23-29 2018 | GTAMotorcycle.com

OshKosk Wisconsin July 23-29 2018

MacDoc

Site Supporter
[video=youtube;ImdBbYfZ4AQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImdBbYfZ4AQ[/video]

2018 is coming up - who knows you might rub elbows with Harrison Ford

https://www.eaa.org/en/airventure

Been on my bucket list forever and as a former sailplane pilot and lifelong aircraft nut ...it's the holy grail.

Being a traffic controller there must be rather insane as for one week each year it becomes the busiest airport on the planet !

1200 KM by way of Sault Ste Marie

https://goo.gl/maps/ucWhYEh7eyN2

In my calendar in 2018

Last edited:
I was there a long time ago and it is quite the spectacle if you enjoy aircraft. Does that mean you are going?

Was a very hot summer that year and Minnesota nearby was over 105 degrees . Had to douse the helmets with water if was so hot.

BB

Yes - it's in the calendar for late July - don't see an issue
I went about 7 years ago, it was a blast.Saw Chuck Yeager there. We decided to take the ferry with our bikes across Lake Michigan rather than drive through Chicago and would recommend that route.The guy I was with went for a ride on a P-51 trainer for $1500.The pilot did a couple of barrel rolls and loops as well as a low level pass through the show.My buddy was so messed up after he got out of that plane that he had to sit down for an hour before he could ride his Gold Wing back to the hotel. Speaking of hotels make sure you book early or you can stay in Milwaukee which is not far away.Most of the hotels are booked months in advance in Osh Kosh.

Last edited:
Been on my bucket list forever and as a former sailplane pilot and lifelong aircraft nut ...it's the holy grail.

Being a traffic controller there must be rather insane as for one week each year it becomes the busiest airport on the planet !

I flew there with a friend long ago, we stayed for a week and camped under our wings - the full on experience.

It was great, lots of fun for the aviation buff for sure, but a LOT of walking - my lower extremeties were killing me by day 3-4.

The facilities are good (showers/bathrooms/etc) for those who choose to camp on site.

As for the airspace, if you want to hear some hilarity (and some moments of terror, if you understand aviation terminology) listen to the live ATC feed while you're there. There are VERY specific arrival and departure procedures for Oshkosh, but without fail at least once an hour or so you get the bumbling idiots (yes, sadly, there are idiots in aviation as well) who just wander in like they own the airspace and then don't understand why they are told (often quite bluntly) to GTFO and return when they understand arrival procedures.}

I just went looking back through my photos of it. Highlight was the B1 Bomber and the Hamilton Lancaster was there as well. Flew a helicopter for the first time ever there as well.

Ate lots of bad food. Had to recalculate weight and balance for the flight home. ;)

All this aviation talk recently is making me miss flying.

Sailplane is cheap and "real flying " :D

Always wanted to try it....but, uh, ummm...weight and balance issues. So I’m told. ;)

Back
Top Bottom