Suunto | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suunto

Baggsy

Site Supporter
Well my expensive diving watch battery gave out. I took it to the nearest dealer for a replacement and was told that Suunto, won't accept battery swaps from them since about six months ago. Logged on to the Suunto site, and they allow the U.S. to put the request through online, but not Canada. So, I'm not sure if the dealer was mistaken, or if Suunto is slow in updating their web. Looks like I have to wait until I have lots of time on my hands and then give them a call. Anyone ever dealt with them before? Good experiences? Bad?

My gekko battery won't die. I think it came with a spare but I have never had to change it.

I would call Dive Source in Whitby and see what they say. Normally I would say speak with Bryan, but I think he is on vacation in Florida now. At least this will give you a second opinion on whether you have to ship the damned thing (or buy a new one that is less annoying to own).

It's a D6, which tracks your dive, dive time, ascendance, direction, altitude/depth, time until you can fly and such, and can transfer the info to a PC. I think the battery lasted ten years or more.
I'm not sure if I'd call it a dive computer, but it leans that way.

The place I already talked to was Kanata Diving Supply, I know the former owner, so I think I can get straight answers from there if I need them.
Buying an new one, isn't an option. I don't have that kind of money to casually throw around.

Anyways, I'll try the Suunto number and see what they have to say.

Yes, but it voids the warranty, and it would be a pain to find out I did it wrong, 100' underwater.

Worst case, I'll buy the kit and see if my dad can do it, he's a watchmaker's brat.

https://www.amazon.ca/Suunto-D6i-Di...5862&sr=1-5&keywords=suunto+d6#productDetails

I can test it for you once it's buttoned up to make sure it's waterproof if you bring it by. I've got a Witschi ALC 2000 just for such occasions. It's a pretty cool toy but doesn't get much use. It can go from -0.8 bar to 10 bar but I only have the compressed air to take it up to ~8 bar (~275 ft of fresh water).

Last edited:
275ft should cover most mortals diving. I googled a witschiALC, thats a pretty odd piece of equipment to have sitting around the house.

275ft should cover most mortals diving. I googled a witschiALC, thats a pretty odd piece of equipment to have sitting around the house.

I wouldn't trust it if it only went to the actual depth. You can't access the watch to press buttons during the test. I figure a 2:1 (almost 3:1) safety factor isn't bad. It's up to baggsy to decide how he feels.

My suspicion is that most watch repair places wouldn't even test it (and maybe that's why Suunto pulled service back in house). I haven't tried the Gekko in it, but I'm not sure it would fit. Asking dive shops to buy a $6000 tester that only works for a tiny subset of dive watches likely wouldn't fly. In a business scenario, it should get calibrated reasonably often as it has pressure measuring and thickness measuring components which just adds to the cost to keep it going.

Talked to Suunto. They were less than helpful. They admitted that their website is now wrong, and said that I had to call an outdoor business in B.C., so you might be partially correct GreyGhost, but it doesn't look as though it's in-house either. Huish Outdoors(the outdoor business), offered to have me ship the watch boths ways, and $113 for the battery replacement, but I'm not sure that I want to ship a valuable watch across the Country for a battery, and haven't costed it out. I may take you up on your Witschi offer, if I can work out the logistics of getting down to Toronto and your locale - I'm a season ticket holder for the Toronto Rock. In the meantime I'll have a talk with Bob Curzon at church, and see what advice a commercial diver has.

I have 2 expensive watches and a Scubapro watch that does pretty much what baggsys does. I learned the hard way (expensive) to only hand it over to a guy that is factory certified for service.
Not that a non factory guy cant do an outstanding job 99.9% of the time, I kept finding the .1%er.

My scubapro hasn't been wet in three yrs and it leaves tomorrow am for Bahama where it will be needed, hope the battery is ok......

I have 2 expensive watches and a Scubapro watch that does pretty much what baggsys does. I learned the hard way (expensive) to only hand it over to a guy that is factory certified for service. Not that a non factory guy cant do an outstanding job 99.9% of the time, I kept finding the .1%er. My scubapro hasn't been wet in three yrs and it leaves tomorrow am for Bahama where it will be needed, hope the battery is ok......
Part of the problem for me at this point is that according to the website, the scuba shop I took it to, is authorized.

Back
Top Bottom