Tire choice for Simcoe/Ganny trail riding | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire choice for Simcoe/Ganny trail riding

Soft are the right tires for where we ride but wanted to try medium and compare durability, next set will be soft. I get same deal for both so that is a non issue.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Good. So tire choice is done. Now the rest of the parts ... :)

I've always wondered how much of a difference tires actually make, I do not have feel for these things yet.

For sure sand/paddle tires would make a huge difference, but the rest of it I have always chalked up as preference.

I would want for myself the best tires for traction and I would sacrifice longevity and price for it.

I've always wondered how much of a difference tires actually make, I do not have feel for these things yet.

For sure sand/paddle tires would make a huge difference, but the rest of it I have always chalked up as preference.

I would want for myself the best tires for traction and I would sacrifice longevity and price for it.

I have the Starcross 5 on the 2017 and the Dunlops that came with the 17 on the 05 and it is a big difference and as you I do mostly tight single track. I haven't used any other brand so I can't compare.

I have the Starcross 5 on the 2017 and the Dunlops that came with the 17 on the 05 and it is a big difference and as you I do mostly tight single track. I haven't used any other brand so I can't compare.

I ran Dunlop AT81's on my KTM 350 last year and didn't like them much in sand. Being a desert tires I thought they would work better than they did. The front was especially bad.

How did you fit the 18" AT81 onto your old YZ250, isn't the rear a 19"?

Tires make a huge difference. Especially the front. In the terrain here I like softs. Seems to be either mud or sand around here. Anything will be fine for hard pack. That's why I ripped the Motoz front off after 1 ride. The front was sliding sideways in the corners at the ganny.

If you want to ride fast you need to trust your front tire. The back can dance around and slide, but lose the front and you're eating dirt.

I ran Dunlop AT81's on my KTM 350 last year and didn't like them much in sand. Being a desert tires I thought they would work better than they did. The front was especially bad.

How did you fit the 18" AT81 onto your old YZ250, isn't the rear a 19"?
I switched the rear to an 18 - For some reason the bike came with a KX rear wheel (don't ask) so since I had to get a yz wheel I got a 2015 250yzfx which is 18 and fit on the 05 with GSXR 1000 spacers lol.

KuYnnCS.gif

Last edited:
I switched the rear to an 18 - For some reason the bike came with a KX rear wheel (don't ask) so since I had to get a yz wheel I got a 2015 250yzfx which is 18 and fit on the 05 with GSXR 1000 spacers lol.

haha... another Frankenbike. :p

Great thing about the YZ is that most of the stuff is exchangeable. I spent a lot of money on that Warp9 wheel and much rather have the 18 on it and as a bonus it looks much better
haha... another Frankenbike. :p

Last edited:
Battlecross X30's front and rear worked well for me all this season. West end of Ganny stays wet longer after rain. Zero issues on the rocky/rooted stuff no matter the trail condition. Never chunked any knobs either surprisingly on the beast.
Most of the people I rode with had AT81's on and did well.

Suspension setup is a huge factor in traction also.

Agreed. Bike was terribly stiff, bouncy, until revalve and some internal mods were done in the forks. Tires would have been the last worry until then ...

Back
Top Bottom