Tire choice for Simcoe/Ganny trail riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Tire choice for Simcoe/Ganny trail riding

mxs

Site Supporter
I should get new shoes for my bike and next season .... TE300, when I bought it used came with Dunlop MX52 front and AT81 in the back. I don't think they came like this in OEM trim (AT81 didn't exist in 2014 so they had MX52 on both ends I believe).

Can I do better than a pair of AT81? What's your experience riding locally here? I know it's subjective and there's many options, but I am just curious ... I don't mind replacing both ends every year, even though with 50-60 hrs/season of my "slow" riding in sandy conditions the AT81 would probably last longer then my one season.

I wonder about the Shinko cheater line ... so many people rave about them, but most of the guys are riding in way different rocky US terrains, mostly intermediate to hard, where I would consider Simco and Ganny soft to intermediate?

Thanks

Ganny’s tough, it depends on what you ride on and where. The single track is usually soft/int but then there’s some rocky sections. Fire roads are sand/rock with a few dirt/hardback sections. I’d suggest a soft/int tire but don’t cheap out, the good ones aren’t much more money. I’ve got kenda’s on my 250 (I wasn’t riding much and just needed tires) and I won’t go that route again. The front is garbage, it tucks easily without warning, the rear has been ok but I’m sure a good tire would hook up much better.

I can’t wait to throw some good tires on next year!

I hit it all at Ganny (that's what I like about it) ... but overall, most of my season is surely on sandish base since I ride mostly in Simcoe, so I tend to agree soft-to-intermediate would be the range I am looking for. The other challenge is that I am still in stage where I always blame my lack of skill, rather than tire ... so to come to a conclusion that it is a tire and not me, is pretty hard.

That’s why I try to get the best possible equipment, no one to blame but myself.

Interesting tire ... looks like it has few tricks up its sleeve.

I presume you have used them yourself ... can you then give an example of life. Hours, or races ... whatever you ride, so I have an idea how long the awesomeness lasts ... LOL

This video is a nice summary of the StarCross tire line ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTA1W7DXX9Q

Last edited:
Interesting tire ... looks like it has few tricks up its sleeve.

I presume you have used them yourself ... can you then give an example of life. Hours, or races ... whatever you ride, so I have an idea how long the awesomeness lasts ... LOL

This video is a nice summary of the StarCross tire line ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTA1W7DXX9Q
Yeah. It's basically a new s12. Been running them a while. Longevity is subjective but doesn't seem to be any better or worse than any of the other big brands. Can't go wrong with them in the ganny though. If you aren't racing you'll find they stick like glue for quite a while

Running a set of pirellis someone gave me on the new bike. They seem to be working well. Time will tell though if they keep their traction as they wear.

Sounds good.

Looks like 235$ shipped to my door for a pair.

One more question ... I found a few references to Michelin off-road tires being a smaller diameter than most tires. Myth, or any truth to that? I can't find any spec sheet for OD ....

I really like motoz tires, the tractionator series has good grip and excellent life. For those running blue plates they are dot rated.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

I really like motoz tires, the tractionator series has good grip and excellent life. For those running blue plates they are dot rated.

Rear is good. The front sucks..... Badly

Bought a set. Pulled the front off after 1 ride and gave it away. Lol

If you need an aggressive DOT front grab a pirelli

Michelin starcross 5 soft front and rear
This is my choice as well and what I have on my bike.. I might have medium

35 hours of ganny single trail and have been too lazy to flip them, they lost the amazing bite about 10 hours ago but they still work great. Getting a new set over the winter.

Last edited:
I run Bridgestone M203/204. I like them in pretty much all terrain. I'm thinking about trying the M102 rear which looks to be not quite a full on sand tire, and maybe a Battlecross X10 front.

This is my choice as well and what I have on my bike.. I might have medium

35 hours of ganny single trail and have been too lazy to flip them, they lost the amazing bite about 10 hours ago but they still work great. Getting a new set over the winter.

Yeah, I read that most people run medium, but soft seems to be the right choice based on the base we run around here ... any reason you chose medium over soft, other than special deal perhaps?

Yeah, I read that most people run medium, but soft seems to be the right choice based on the base we run around here ... any reason you chose medium over soft, other than special deal perhaps?
Soft are the right tires for where we ride but wanted to try medium and compare durability, next set will be soft. I get same deal for both so that is a non issue.

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk

Opinions regarding motocross tires (non-DOT rated) on a blue-plated bike? Using them on-road for rides such as the Midhurst Trail Ride, or Bethany - where there's some streets in-between the dirt/single-track sections...

Opinions regarding motocross tires (non-DOT rated) on a blue-plated bike? Using them on-road for rides such as the Midhurst Trail Ride, or Bethany - where there's some streets in-between the dirt/single-track sections...
I've ran non dot tires on my bikes many times as they rarely see asphalt. I've met with Opp while on an Oftr ride and had no problems. Might be different if they catch you "stunting" and want to make your life hard.

If you are sensible about it, I have not heard it to be an issue either. But I am never on road for more than a couple of clicks. And when I am, I am taking it easy .. not so much because of enforcement, but rather as a respect to the tires ... :)

Back
Top Bottom