Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition) | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition)

black_CG2

I know, PrivatePilot has started similar thread last year. Figured, hey I could start it this time! Friday forecast does call for light flurries. I am not ready to put her away yet.

still out there... cheers
390c4438957ebb1d05404d0069131382.jpg
857566890c65b227490bea739dba02d6.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

All you rich guys and your winter gear...

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

FWIW, I bought all my heated gear on closeout deals here and US for well over 50% off, or less than the price of regular gear. Deals are out there if you look.

I am poor and I layer up.

FWIW, I bought all my heated gear on closeout deals here and US for well over 50% off, or less than the price of regular gear. Deals are out there if you look.

Could you please share where? I want to buy a heated jacket and gloves not just for riding.

Nope. Mine is 3 in 1

So i wear the same gear all year long. My pants were bought used (but BNIB) at a steal from an ad on advrider, had to pick up from CBI but it was a good $200 saved on those pants that still had the tags on them (Rev'it sand)

The jacket, i had a summer(mesh) and a regular jacket. The Mesh one broke under warranty so i got a store credit, and my regular jacket was dead. So i forked a little bit more money than the store credit and got a heavily discounted one that's discontinued (Rev'it spectrum)

Add in balaclava, long johns and a sweater and you're set for some pretty chilly mornings.

When i have the liners in the gera though, i'm toasty AF during most of the ride. Which makes the cold hands more bareable as more warm blood go into them. Last year i was having electrical problems with the bike so i wasn't riding right now, but this year i intend to take it until salt is on the roads.

I am poor and I layer up.

Could you please share where? I want to buy a heated jacket and gloves not just for riding.
Unfortunately, the heated gear I'm using is for riding only as it plugs into the motorcycle battery.
Like I said, I get closeout stuff so sizes are scarce, but FWIW...

The Gyde Hero gloves I got at motorcycle superstore for $99 US - they are sold out, but the gauntlet version is still available:
http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/76964/i/gyde-vanguard-gloves

Grabbed this liner (worn under my existing motorcycle jacket), during the no HST sale:
https://gpbikes.com/rapidfire-heate...ss-heat-controller-while-quantities-last.html

No more need to layer up and can adjust the heat level on the fly with the dual zone wireless controller (that came with the liner) ziptied to my handlebar. (2nd heat zone is for the gloves which is conveniently wired to the liner cuffs). I still wear longjohns for legs and a balaclava for my head. Haven't needed heated insoles yet - but considering a pair of the lithium battery powered ones.

Last edited:

Last year, I spent half of my income on motorbikes, guns, and women. I wasted the other half.

Edit: back on topic - I'm out regarding daily commuting downtown.

The HD is washed, filled with gas/stabilizer, and covered. Very easy to pop out on a ride, if desired, but once the salt/brine is laid down it will stay in the garage 'til spring. Will get out for one more dirt bike ride though.

Last edited:
How can you ride in the cold with goggles. I was considering that helmet too but there is no option for a face shield.....which I think is stupid.
I actually prefer the goggles to a face shield in cold weather because they don't fog up. Goggles or face shield, I still wear a balaclava. Snowmobilers seem to manage with goggles too don't they?

Up at the Forks just now ...was warm enough ..the heated innersoles worked well at medium setting tho top of my foot still a little cold...hands were fine with the heated glove liners and even tho I forgot my ColdPruf layer body core was okay.
ColdPruf would have sealed the deal - there were just a couple of cool spots in the jacket without it.

Nice sun and sitting outside Very impressed with the Schuberth C3 shield ...not a hint of fog and nice and warm

I layer except for heated glove liner which is maybe $60 US from First Gear. The battery inner soles are new and so far fine.

Few other riders about.

Last edited:
I'm still commuting downtown everyday. I guess we'll see what happens Thursday night when it's chance of flurries. The salt/brine trucks will probably come out that night, which might mean the end of the season for me... :(

Last edited:
Hah! I'm at the forks now poking at my laptop, while on the way here I saw Macdoc (and a couple of others) going the other way.

I really enjoy the surprised looks - followed closely by shaking heads - on my trip to school each morning. This week has been great with the sun up but it won't last long

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Jealous of all those still out riding. I spent the day in the hospital.

FML....

I wear a Technic lined touring jacket, summer riding pants over jeans, summer gloves with Wellington boots, SHOEI chin screen, and a dickie. My bike has a decent fairing and touring windscreen, I have heated grips. If I'm in the city, I sometimes ride with a MotoX helmet and goggles for less fog.

Below 5C things get very different, mostly because windchill impact gets large at that temp. Below 5C you risk road icing, and you might get chilled at highway speeds. I never ride on the road below 5C.

I

I think the roads are brined now...at least lakeshore looked like it was

I'm still out with the layers. No winter tires for me though, so the end is looking very nigh. Probably going to winterise the bike next weekend, depending how the forecast looks.

Sent from my HTC U11 using GTAM mobile app

Back
Top Bottom