Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition) | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition)

Nice ride in to work this morning! My temperature display is 2°c optimistic. Also below -10°c it just says "lo". It said "lo" for about a third of my ride.

..Tom

If it's not raining in the morning I'll ride into work. For some reason my tires don't turn rock hard and slide all over the place when it gets colder

But did the salt immediately rot it to the ground? ;)

... For some reason my tires don't turn rock hard and slide all over the place when it gets colder...
I wouldn't worry too much about hard tires unless you're peg scraping at 0C -- worry about black ice, road freeze can happen at temps as high as 4C.

It has not been cold enough long enough for that to happen.

Black ice may form even when the ambient temperature is several degrees above the freezing point of water 0 °C (32 °F), if the air warms suddenly after a prolonged cold spell that has left the surface of the roadway well below the freezing point temperature.

It has not been cold enough long enough for that to happen.

Yes it has -- any time it gets below 5C it can happen, it' actually happening as I write this! It's 4C right now in Markham (06:30AM, Nov 14), cars outside have a thin coating icy frost, as do a few dips in the pavement. On damp nights it's possible for the chilling effect of evaporation to create a freeze, or for a thin cooler (freezing) layer of air to sit just above the ground.

Anyone who has ridden through a dip at night would know - that sudden change in temp as you pass through the dip.

Yes it has -- any time it gets below 5C it can happen, it' actually happening as I write this! It's 4C right now in Markham (06:30AM, Nov 14), cars outside have a thin coating icy frost, as do a few dips in the pavement. On damp nights it's possible for the chilling effect of evaporation to create a freeze, or for a thin cooler (freezing) layer of air to sit just above the ground.

Anyone who has ridden through a dip at night would know - that sudden change in temp as you pass through the dip.

The law of thermodynamics is pretty straightforward in that ice cannot form below the freezing point.

Black ice requires a unique set of circumstances (primarilly, a cold soaked asphalt surface which takes an extended period of well below zero weather to achieve, something that hasn't happened here yet) followed immediately by the right conditions afterwards to actually form it.

Radiant dispersal of heat can allow frost to form on surfaces when the ambient air temperature may be slightly above zero, but it doesn't change the laws of thermodynamics - the surface the frost is forming on has reached at least zero degrees for this to happen due to said radiation, regardless of ambient temps.

And most importantly, frost is not black ice. Two very different things.

Exactly ....Mike - give it up ....the conditions for ice on the road when it's significantly above freezing have not been met this year yet.
By all means in Feb after prolonged cold snap a warm breeze over a cold road can result in condensation and ice formation.

But the roads are still warm and frost is not ice. If you choose not ride now fine....don't discourage others with incorrect information.

Walking the dogs this morning it looked and felt like it was gonna rain. But forecast said differently.

For once i listened to the forecast and rode in.

NO RAGRETS
OG2hHwW

OG2hHwW.jpg

Nice to see those that actually understand that there is more to roads becoming icy than just temperature!

Last Thursday (I think it was) had the temperature drop. On the last 15 minutes of my ride home the air temperature dropped from +2c to -1 or -2 C. A snow squall came though and it was near whiteout conditions. There still was lots of traction as the road surface had a high enough temperature and held enough heat that it melted the snow. I am sure that after an hour or so that effect would have started cooling the surface enough that the snow would have started freezing. While I was riding in the squall the snow that hit my bike *did* freeze and I had a decent layer of ice on all the leading edges on on my gear but the road was fine.

In the morning my driveway and local street were all ice covered so I drove in to work (and got my snow tires put on my car.)

..Tom

Damn bro, props!

My commute is about 5 mins on 404 then across highway 7 for 15 mins. It's not too bad with layers, really only my hands that are frigid.

Back
Top Bottom