Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition) | Page 24 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Who's still riding? (Fall 2017 / Winter 2018 edition)

I saw a lot of dot race tires do the same thing at the Supershow that year.It was about -20,and the tires froze and when any weight was put on it,that was the result.Street tires are hard and tough for more than just mileage.

Might want to open that question by saying what you ride and exactly what tires you are riding on.

I can confidently advise that at -22C very soft compound tires will literally shatter and fly to pieces.

free_Tire_zpslqblugkl.jpg
... the sidewalls are all cracked too. Tire was 1 season old.
I ride a CB500X with TKC80 tires, might try out the Anlas winter tires in the future.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

wow ! did they deflate or is that surface cracking ....

Amazing enough mine still hold air, but the scary thing is that once they got warm again they remain brittle. I checked it in summer time and could still peel any of the knobs off by hand. Take away should be; don't even store your expensive competition tires in sub-zero storage, I'm certain that the rubber formulation is what determines the safe storage and/or operating temperatures for any given tire.

.... and now a whole bunch of people are wondering about those little cracks in their sidewalls.

When I rode in the winter, I used small CC bikes - my last a Ninja 250. I changed over to cheap Duro dualsport tires and ran 18PSI fromt and 15 in the back.

Back on topic, a friend snapped a photo of a guy on Taunton Road in Oshawa out yesterday on a cruiser just as the snow was arriving.

Shoot I thought I saw someone yesterday on a cruiser as well. Hard to tell I couldn't get close.

Now who is out today

Sent from my iPhone using GTAMotorcycle.com

Might want to open that question by saying what you ride and exactly what tires you are riding on.

I can confidently advise that at -22C very soft compound tires will literally shatter and fly to pieces.

... the sidewalls are all cracked too. Tire was 1 season old.

I think the coldest I have ridden (was with Metzler Tourance tires) is -18°c and they worked surprisingly well. Your experience certainly underlines the difference in compounds.

..Tom

I've been to -18 with Bridgestone Exedra tires. They too, worked just fine. I bought a new bike mid winter and surprised the shop by riding my trade-in to them. :)

I think the coldest I have ridden (was with Metzler Tourance tires) is -18°c and they worked surprisingly well. Your experience certainly underlines the difference in compounds.

..Tom

I forgot to post...on Friday we got hammered here in the Clarington area with a streamer that was coming off lake Ontario - we literally got about 10 inches inside 2 hours or so in our neighborhood, but it was really centralized, just a few KM away they got hardly anything.

In the worst of it, when Highway 2 was creeping along at a crawl....off in the distance I see a guy on an Ebike. On the shoulder of the road, the usual piss poor lights that are effectively useless in that sort of weather, he's duckwalking, rear wheel spinning and he's barely moving, a chunk of cardboard as a makeshift windshield/air deflector (the wind was howling), and he's got about 10 walmart bags hanging off the handlebars. Cars dodging around the guy, of course half of them are even having trouble navigating, much less worrying about getting around a clown bumbling along the shoulder on an ebike in a blizzard.

Some people....

Had my bike at the shop (Blackstock, formerly Asselstines)for the last week and a bit. I had them leave it out for me so I could get it today.

Their parking lot and the side road I had to exit on was all snow covered. It was -15 and a nice easy ride home (only about 20 minutes) although my street was a bit icy and nmy driveway still had somehow and ice (from firday's snow streamer.). The Anlas Winter tires actuality seemed to work well on the snow and ice. I was very cautious while on it but had much more traction than I thought I would. Even though my traction control was on the most sensitive mode it and my abs never kicked in.

No bugs!

..Tom

Snapped this pic last Friday on the way to Spagetti Factory for lunch... -12 degrees Celcius and snowed overnight... these lads either abandoned their bikes or they are much more hardcore than I'll ever be!!!

jDfjI
jDfjI
3w6n2d0.jpg

Snapped this pic last Friday on the way to Spagetti Factory for lunch... -12 degrees Celcius and snowed overnight... these lads either abandoned their bikes or they are much more hardcore than I'll ever be!!!

jDfjI
jDfjI
3w6n2d0.jpg

Wow. Kudos to them.

Just got back from a ride in town and it wasn't bad at all. Salt is gone, roads are dry. I miss summer

Just got back from a ride in town and it wasn't bad at all. Salt is gone, roads are dry. I miss summer
Jealous. Here in Barrie I've got 3 foot snowbanks from shovelling and the roads are shyte.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Meet a nice young bloke in Meadowvale Town Centre. Forgot what the bike was. He was Just riding around and it was flippin ccold.
Kudos to him and was also very polite. As soon as I approached he turned off the bike.
I did get his name Chris. Nice name. (Same as mine. Lol.)

I went for a ride yesterday and it was nice aside from the wind gusts, which were a bit troublesome. Felt good going for a ride in mid-December. When I got home I took the battery out of the bike and now I'm done until spring rolls around.

Meet a nice young bloke in Meadowvale Town Centre. Forgot what the bike was. He was Just riding around and it was flippin ccold.
Kudos to him and was also very polite. As soon as I approached he turned off the bike.
I did get his name Chris. Nice name. (Same as mine. Lol.)

Chris checking in as well :)

Back
Top Bottom