Stator rewinding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Stator rewinding

shanekingsley

Curry - so nice it burns you twice
Site Supporter
I have my old stator sitting here. Since the replacement parts are backordered for my bike, and these typically get cooked, I may need to replace mine again at some point and even buying them on ebay can be either expensive or difficult to gauge the quality of the item before buying.

Are there still any reputable local places that rewind stators?

Thanks!

interesting link site...like.

any gear heads out there ever try hand winding their own stator?

I've wound a few in the past. Stators that were un-obtainable or I once "over wound" a stator for a Ducati twin to try to get more power out of the alternator (It didn't work).
It is A LOT of work and easy to screw up the sequence.

for the OP: Locally try Proformance Cycle up by Orangeville, RTC Electric or Dixie Electric.
not so local: Rick's Electrics or Arrowhead. (There is a guy on Kijiji in North York selling Arrowhead for motorsports).

What bike?

... on a similar vein: I am looking for a starter or starter armature for a 1957 Tatra 5 ton C80x V8 air cooled gas motor.
Any suggestions?

Thanks for the options.

Bike is a 2011 Suzuki DL650. The stators were a recall item from 2012 onward and should have been right from the beginning. All the new improved stators are reserved for recall work, and they discontinued the earlier versions, so it puts anyone with a pre-2012 model in a bind if they need a replacement. Rather than throw out my old stator, I figure I will get it rewound as a backup and if I move into another bike at some point, then it should be easy to sell for my cost to rewind. It seems the original stators last about 50k and I'm now on my third.

interesting link site...like.

any gear heads out there ever try hand winding their own stator?

Check out the reviews and there is a mixed bag. My experience with a reg / rec was a fail......low output.

Maybe they have improved but having a charging system fail when you're away from home really sucks.

My stator just went on my D675, was also looking around for somewhere to do a rewind...found this guy (local dude near georgetown) http://www.statorkev.com/ was going to inquire how much it would cost but in the end found an OEM off ebay for 200, on his website hes quoting $275 for a 3-phase rewind which i found quite hefty.

I was planning to rewind myself since it died near end of season and have the whole winter to do it....actually I might still end up doing it, but sourcing parts is going to cost around $200, its not rocket science....just freaking time consuming and monotonous.

$80 - 4lbs Enameled copper wire (2lbs enough for mine)
$30 - Insulating paint
$60 - Encapsulating Epoxy

Now this is my personal opinion, Rick's stator windings look sloppy and they use a weak resin and RM stators look like the same MIC junk on ebay....I'm basing all this on the quality of an OEM Triumph stator and this could well only apply to Daytonas/Street triples, from my research the UK Triumph guys use this site as their goto http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/

I've had 3 customers use the RM Stator rectifier / regulators and stators over the past 2 summer and had nothing but failures with them. RM Stator does provide good customer service though, they replaced the components at no charge each time. They all went back to stock components now and haven't had problems.

I've had 3 customers use the RM Stator rectifier / regulators and stators over the past 2 summer and had nothing but failures with them. RM Stator does provide good customer service though, they replaced the components at no charge each time. They all went back to stock components now and haven't had problems.

Who pays for the labour if the replacement fails?

Regardless of the brand, OEM or other, electrical items have almost no warranty.

Not sure about Shane's DL650 but for the 1200 Goldwings the motor had to come out due to a frame to cover clearance issue. Labour was a big hit.

Last edited:
Who pays for the labour if the replacement fails?

Regardless of the brand, OEM or other, electrical items have almost no warranty.

Not sure about Shane's DL650 but for the 1200 Goldwings the motor had to come out due to a frame to cover clearance issue. Labour was a big hit.
Ouch. I'm on my third stator on this bike - if I had to take the engine out for something this small, I'd just sell the bike after the 1st one burnt out.

On my bike the stator itself was just hiding behind one simple cover, but to get at the wiring connectors, I had to remove fairings, gas tank, airbox, and the clutch release mechanism. Took me a while because it was my first time doing it, but next time I should be able to do it in a few hours.

Back
Top Bottom