New motorcyclist | GTAMotorcycle.com

New motorcyclist

I am 5'5 and im really wanting to get a motorcyle what would be the best first motorcycle to get if i dont wanna get tired of it fast. And end up wanting something faster/better

Cruiser? Sportbike?

Your age and experience?

Your budget?

New or used?

A lot of questions can alter the answers based on what you want to begin with, and what you can realistically afford from an initial purchase price, as well as insurance cost, the latter which can easily exceed purchase price on a yearly basis depending on your specifics.

Welcome to GTAM.

What type do you like? Cruisers, sporty, dual sport? Your age will help determine what you can insure.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Sportbike and 19 and beginner

Worst possible combination unfortunately, so you'll be wanting to start on a low CC bike (Ninja 250/300), and get yourself lined up for the M1 Exit (m2) training first thing come the spring as most insurance companies won't insure you with an M1, and without the training course.

Worst possible combination unfortunately, so you'll be wanting to start on a low CC bike (Ninja 250/300), and get yourself lined up for the M1 Exit (m2) training first thing come the spring as most insurance companies won't insure you with an M1, and without the training course.
What he said. Start saving now as insurance on even a 300 ninja will be expensive.

a good used cbr300,a good used ninja 300 nice looking machines.Contact insurance companies BEFORE making a decision.

At 5'5" you might find it hard to flat-foot it while sitting stopped. You might find you have to tippy-toe or move to one side to flat-foot it. Might want to go to some dealers and sit on a few different makes to see what fits.

Might be worth considering a small-displacement cruiser like a Virago 250. It'd be much easier to insure than a sport bike and should be easier ergonomically. You can still have lots of fun and learn a ton as a new rider on a bike like that.

Check insurance before you buy. Check insurance before you buy. Check insurance before you buy.

It's your 1st bike, not your last. Get a cheap learner and grow out of it...that's part of the process of learning.

Buy a used bike that has a few scratches. You can sell it when you want to move up and get most of you money back.

As above, insurance will suck. Buy a small displacement bike and learn with it while you build insurance history.

At 5'5" you might find it hard to flat-foot it while sitting stopped. You might find you have to tippy-toe or move to one side to flat-foot it. Might want to go to some dealers and sit on a few different makes to see what fits.

Might be worth considering a small-displacement cruiser like a Virago 250. It'd be much easier to insure than a sport bike and should be easier ergonomically. You can still have lots of fun and learn a ton as a new rider on a bike like that.
He'll be alright. My wife is 5'3" and she could touch ok on her ninja 250, I refused to lower it lol.

I didn’t even bother suggesting a cruiser given the age, sport bike desire, and the “I like to go fast “ statement.

But yes, OP, if you’re willing to consider it, a cruiser in the 600cc or under category will be much more affordable to insure, and there are plenty of good options for shorter riders like the Vstar 650 etc.

Plenty of entry level bikes well suited for the vertically challenged.

From suspension to seats to boots. One, some or all can help.

In terms of the need for speed, thrills can be had with any 125/250/300 model.

All depends on the road you choose to take.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Due to your height i would recommend 250/300 series bikes because they will be much easier to carry the weight while stopped.

Go for 300 if it's something you plan to keep for awhile.

It was said before, this is your first bike, not your last.

For a beginner, a small displacement (250cc) standard or sport touring bike is always the best place to start. These bikes can do 160+, fast enough to thrill a beginner and faster than any speed limit in Canada. You can find these used for under $2000 and as long as you don't destroy the bike, you can sell it when you get your M for about the same money. You'll save on insurance and maintenance, have something that's easy to handle, and you're going to reduce your chances of having a power mishap.

If you like speed, get good on a Ninja 250 or similar (I wouldn't get a 125 for the street) then spend a few days at a racing schools. 600 sport bike riders will smoke you on the straights, but you'll embarrass lots of them on challenging roads.

Master that bike then move up in a few years. Experience and age both benefit your safety and insurance costs.

Seconding beginner sport bike like a ninja 300 or R3. You don't need to go fast to lean! You might not keep up with a gsxr1000 going 250kph on the 400 but part of the fun of doing twisties on a low power bike is being able to measurably tell when you've improved your technique. Anybody can roll on the throttle but learning to carry your speed through tight turns is one of the joys of a sportbike.

Anybody who can tell the difference between a ninja 300/R3/CBR300R and a busa also doesn't care! Everyone else still sees the sport bike.

First year of riding just ended and these are my personal observations. There's a long way to go before I get a bigger bike. Dragging knee safely is still a bit out of reach and you definitely don't want to wait till you have an SS to start learning.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom