Registering and untitled vehicle in Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Registering and untitled vehicle in Ontario

Roadghost

So I went to see this old crapped out motorcycle today looking for a winter project and the guy doesn't have any registration for it. Apparently it was never registered in Ontario. One of his relatives friends of a friend etc. brought it from Manitoba, then sold it to a relative who then sold it to him. Regardless, any registration or ownership is long lost. I looked at the Ministry website and all it says is you need identification to register it. Go online and there's guys saying you have to fill out a Declaration of Ownership. Has anyone here registered an untitled motorcycle? Is it an onerous process?

My first fear would be that the title is branded (like salvage) and the project would be DOA (see story regarding Honda SP 1000 that got parted out). How old is it? Do you have a 17 digit VIN (not insurmountable, but adds to the pita factor). There have been similar threads before where IIRC people said it's possible to get this dones with an affidavit.

It has a complete VIN. It's just a bike that has been sorely neglected. It certainly isn't salvage.

Don't tell MTO it is out of province vehicle. Just see what if anything shows up on MTO computer when trying to get used vehicle package. If nothing shows up at all they ask you to get proof from the manufacturer in writing what make model year ... It is.

IIRC, you also have to swear an affidavit with a notary that you bought it with a bill of sale without previous registration or something like that. They check if it's stolen, etc. and if it clears you get an ownership.

If the VIN passes the stolen test and the unbranded test then you get an ownership.
If there is any problem at all then you're screwed.
Before buying the motorcycle get the UVIP package.
At least it will tell you how many hoops you will have to jump through BEFORE you buy.
Or better still buy one with an existing Ont. ownership.

It certainly isn't salvage.

You don't know that. Until the MTO systems are checked, it's impossible for you to know - it probably *isn't*, but again, impossible for you to know.

I would tread very carefully. If the seller is willing to let you start jumping through the hoops to get it into your name before any money changes hands, fine, but if he wants his money and then you get stuck holding the bag if you hit a brick wall...well, your call.

I'm curious what bike it is. Sounds like a Honda 400 I was emailing on last year.

Not buying unless he clears up the title, and even then I might not buy because it's a POS. Doesn't sound like anyone here has done it though. Out of curiosity I think I'll ask MTO how it's done.

Out of curiosity I think I'll ask MTO how it's done.

Good luck, expect 15 different answers from 15 different people, including more than a few "You can't do that" responses which are just wrong.

Good luck, expect 15 different answers from 15 different people, including more than a few "You can't do that" responses which are just wrong.

I was told I had to get the Used vehicle package and do affidavide in the other province. If they know it is out of province vehicle they don't want to touch it. You must prove it is not stolen, has no liens in the other province.

I've done this with several dirtbikes. It's no big deal really. But as other's have stated:

1) Get the VIN#
2) Go to MTO ask for UVIP ($20)

If it comes back to who you're dealing with, then he's not lying to you, he's lost the ownership. It would be easier for him to get a replacement ownership than to sell it to you without one. Put the onus on him.

For unregistered dirtbikes you have to write an affidavit which is simply a paragraph that states:

I have purchased a ____________
VIN# ____________, colour ________. I am swearing to the fact that I am now the current owner and to the best of my knowledge the bike is not stolen. Dated. Signed.

Take it to your local municipality office and ask for a Notary Clerk. She will sign and stamp your affidavit and charge you $15. From there you go to the MTO with the receipt from previous owner and your now notarized affidavit. If the bike checks out as not stolen, you will get an ownership on the spot.

Again, this is for dirtbikes that have never been registered and they only want them registered so they can charge you insurance in case you hit a tree and the tree decides to sue you.

Bottom line is if he gives you the VIN#, $20 at any MTO will tell you the tale of this bike and whether it's worth moving forward with.

Hope this helps!

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom