Trail Tours- Ganaraska- Newb review | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Trail Tours- Ganaraska- Newb review

Could be any number of reasons. Preference, free factory ride, etc...

I think it depends ... most of them could ride anything they wanted, really. They sometimes pick and choose, depending on type of race. I know Haaker does his enduro cross races on 4T, because he likes the torque delivery better for the obstacles. But for Erzberg he took 300 2T, like everyone else in the top ... They all prefer 2T for redbull tough series ... I think it has very little to do with "free ride", since they are all factory riders. Not just factory 2T or 4T riders .... the company will give anything they want, as long as they win ... LOL

I hear you and don't disagree, but my reply was sort of in terms buying a used 4T vs used 2T ... I think you will find it normal that newbs (since it was about a new rider starting) buy used, especially with the insane prices for new units these days, plus the fact of not being sure whether you will continue riding or not. My used 4T was definitely much heavier than the same year 2T bike, but it was not just the static weight, it was so labor intensive to ride the slow single track on it. Just nowhere to be as nimble as the 2T is. I don't think you will object to which bike is cheaper to maintain down the road ... or are the new 4T cheaper to keep running as well?
I use a lot less energy riding my new bike than my old one. It's just all around easier to ride. The power delivery suits singletrack very well. On a 2t it seemed like I had to always be up on the pipe. Was running red spring set to come on early with an SX head running 12/50 gearing. Your 300 has better bottom than my 250 did, but not that much better. The 4t pulls power from everywhere which makes hills, obstacles, etc so much easier. Way more tractable.

But yeah the used market would be different. Your bike full of fluids would be over 10 lbs heavier than a new fx350.

And as far as maintenance. Yeah 4t can get expensive when it's time to dig into the engine. But the extra fuel and oil that the 2t will use in that 140hrs or so will close that gap some.

I was pretty die hard 2t up until ktm redesigned these new 350s in 2017. Now I'm glad I switched.

I used to call my FE390 a tractor ... So I know what you mean. But I have to tell you, this TE300 is not whole lot less of a tractor. The way I lug the 3rd gear on the single track is ridiculous ... and as I said, I am still on green spring soft map, so there's a generous time build up before the bike gets flying without any down shift. It sometimes boggles my mind .... maybe the Recluse clutch somewhat increases the tractor feel?

They are fun, for a few minutes. I really don’t get the same feeling of being attached to a 4 wheeler or sled like I do a bike. They just don’t become part of you like a bike.

If I could only have one, it would definitely be a bike... but variety is the spice of life and I enjoy my bike even more after having fun on 3 or 4 wheels every now and then :) And I donnu... depending on the terrain I can get the same feeling on a trike or quad (but I contend, not quite the same).

Last edited:
I used to call my FE390 a tractor ... So I know what you mean. But I have to tell you, this TE300 is not whole lot less of a tractor. The way I lug the 3rd gear on the single track is ridiculous ... and as I said, I am still on green spring soft map, so there's a generous time build up before the bike gets flying without any down shift. It sometimes boggles my mind .... maybe the Recluse clutch somewhat increases the tractor feel?
I run Rekluse too. I have one on order for this bike. ($1250 ouch!) Although it needs it much less than my 250 did.

But I have to ask. Why buy a 2t to lug it around? The 300 may handle it better than most but they'd still rather be up on the pipe.

The fe390 was a completely different bike than the current crop. Known to be tractors. I see where your coming from now though. Yeah, I'd much rather your current bike too.

I rode my buddies 2015 250sx, didn’t like it. Good MX bike but not in the woods. Power was all up top and just doesn’t work for single track. My 04 RM250 is all midrange, you can lug it around no problem and it works quite well. Up top it falls flat but I’m fine with that, I just keep it a bit lower in the rpm and it pulls like a mofo. I’ll be doing some work to it to make it a better of a woods bike but stock I can hustle it pretty good. I wouldn’t use anything but a 300/250xc or a yz250x if I was to buy new tomorrow.

MXS, you’re in 3rd on the single track?! I guess with the recluse you can do that. I’m 1st/2nd and clutching like you wouldn’t believe. 3rd is very rare in the right stuff and I’d better be on my game or I’m hitting trees at a rapid pace.

Last edited:
I run Rekluse too. I have one on order for this bike. ($1250 ouch!) Although it needs it much less than my 250 did.

But I have to ask. Why buy a 2t to lug it around? The 300 may handle it better than most but they'd still rather be up on the pipe.

The fe390 was a completely different bike than the current crop. Known to be tractors. I see where your coming from now though. Yeah, I'd much rather your current bike too.

I lug it, in single track, because most a) I am slow and old ... b) still getting used to the power .... but it's getting better, mainly after I spend 300$ to re-valve the suspension. It was not done properly and not for my weight and type of riding. It's much better now and I am improving.

No lugging in more wide open sections, hills and sand pits .... loving it.

MXS, you’re in 3rd on the single track?! I guess with the recluse you can do that. I’m 1st/2nd and clutching like you wouldn’t believe. 3rd is very rare in the right stuff and I’d better be on my game or I’m hitting trees at a rapid pace.

Yep. I spoke to a few guys on 300 2T and they said the same thing. I think mainly when people get lazy, the bike let you do it ... one guy said, I can leave it in 3rd gear and forget it the whole day. And you know what, if you want to make a bet, I could make a whole day in one gear if I wanted to ... LOL? Obviously, not if you need to clear sand hill or bunch of logs etc. ... but other than that 3rd gear is really fine. I don't find it surprising though, because I ride a lot with a buddy and he 's mostly 2-3 gear on his YZ250X, no Recluse. I don't think we have used 1st gear yet ... LOL.

You gotta have one of each, why choose one?!? For the same reason you need a dirt bike AND a street bike, you also need a 2t and 4t of EACH! Then of course you also need a 2t and 4t ATV, and maybe even a couple 3wheelers too!

Yes, I know I have a problem...
Many of us have the same problem :)

18486323_10158593736140328_783446402323315050_n.jpg

Yep. I spoke to a few guys on 300 2T and they said the same thing. I think mainly when people get lazy, the bike let you do it ... one guy said, I can leave it in 3rd gear and forget it the whole day. And you know what, if you want to make a bet, I could make a whole day in one gear if I wanted to ... LOL? Obviously, not if you need to clear sand hill or bunch of logs etc. ... but other than that 3rd gear is really fine. I don't find it surprising though, because I ride a lot with a buddy and he 's mostly 2-3 gear on his YZ250X, no Recluse. I don't think we have used 1st gear yet ... LOL.

I went down 1 tooth on the front sprocket on my YZ250X and I use 2nd almost exclusively in tight single track. 3rd when it opens up, never 1st unless I'm starting at the bottom of a steep hill. No Recluse here either.

Curious to see if you and dricked are running a similar pace.

I ride with a guy who has a yz250x. He runs a gear higher than me but I have to wait for him at every trail crossing.

On my 250xcw I was anywhere from 2nd to 4th. 2nd if it's real tight, 3rd just on and off the pipe normally and I'll crank it in 4th in a straight or whoop section.

Still figuring out the 350. Lol

Yep, none of them mine, they all belong to my friend sitting down on the yammi, he happens to have about 12 of them and he is also in a wheel chair, so 3 wheeler it is for our Wednesday ganny rides. I know nothing about them except that they are a **** load of fun, not as fun as any of my dirt bikes but still 3 of us ****ing around with these things is a blast.

I love it! Is that a yammy shaft, a 250sx, and a 350x? Nice motley crew!! :)

Last edited:

I am pretty sure he's quicker, regardless what bike he's on, but we never rode together. Theoretically, a bike where you don't have to shift much and with Recluse, should be pretty smooth and quick in the right hands. The rider, always the weakest link ... LOL ... I know how tame I am with the throttle application through the tight and gnarly stuff and this is where I lose time, regardless whether I'd be in 2nd or 3rd gear ....

I ride with a guy who has a yz250x. He runs a gear higher than me but I have to wait for him at every trail crossing.

On my 250xcw I was anywhere from 2nd to 4th. 2nd if it's real tight, 3rd just on and off the pipe normally and I'll crank it in 4th in a straight or whoop section.

Still figuring out the 350. Lol

I try to ride as close to the powerband as possible or a quick clutch tap away from it. Obviously it doesn’t always work that way depending on traction or how technical the hill is. I previously had a 1 tooth taller front that worked pretty well. 1st was just a bit taller and good for when the really tight stuff opened up a bit and you wouldn’t benifit from shifting to 2nd for a split second. It required a lot of clutching though so I went back to stock and have been riding 2nd gear mostly unless it gets really tight and technical. I hate when there’s a couple whoops that could be doubled up and you hit the gas and the bike just goes “buuugh” and you have no power but I also hate when you come up on a set of 6-8 whoops and you run out of gear and start getting bucked all over the place and the trees seem to get really close to the trail lol. 3rd gear is way too tall for me and I’d have to change my gearing to make it effective or I’d be bogging terribly and way short of being able to blast a good corner.

Back
Top Bottom