What is the winter project. | GTAMotorcycle.com

What is the winter project.

GVH

Just wondering what other people are up to for the winter projects ?? Be it a full resto or just tune-up mod the current machine.

Mine was and is to fix up a 1980 SR250G Yamaha into some sort of Cafe, Scrambler, Rat bike combo idea. Not that I'm indecisive just cheap and a bit bad/lazy on the finishing details. As of today I have added a 1999 XR250R Fix up tune-up to the list. A few others in the shadows but time and money.

S3SoSAr.gif

xYma2Vx.gif

Well, I'm a bit lazy and cheap this year. Kicked around the idea of getting an old Rebel and bobbing it. Then I considered getting a scrap CBR250 engine and putting it into my CM250 (old engine is a bit tired). Then I considered modding the suspension into monoshock. Then I thought about getting a dirt bike and turning it into a scrambler. But in the end I have decided to stay undecided and stack the RRSPs.

A buddy from work has a 2001 Suzuki Marauder (800cc w/ 90,000km) with an obnoxiously loud exhaust. It was running decent when he parked it 18 months ago, but needed a lot of basic maintenance and currently doesn't start. He needs the space and it must go, so I offered to take it for free. I guess I'll replace whatever needs to be done on it and clean the carbs and whatever else to learn something this winter.

My own bike I hope to replace the clutch cable/throttle cable, sparkplugs, brake flush, coolant flush, fork oil swap, install steering damper, replace rear shock, clean air filter and replace the rear tire. The valves need to be done and the steering head bearings, but I think that stuff will be beyond my comfort level right now, considering I've never done any of this stuff before.

Looking forward to this winter!

A buddy from work has a 2001 Suzuki Marauder (800cc w/ 90,000km) with an obnoxiously loud exhaust. It was running decent when he parked it 18 months ago, but needed a lot of basic maintenance and currently doesn't start. He needs the space and it must go, so I offered to take it for free. I guess I'll replace whatever needs to be done on it and clean the carbs and whatever else to learn something this winter.

My own bike I hope to replace the clutch cable/throttle cable, sparkplugs, brake flush, coolant flush, fork oil swap, install steering damper, replace rear shock, clean air filter and replace the rear tire. The valves need to be done and the steering head bearings, but I think that stuff will be beyond my comfort level right now, considering I've never done any of this stuff before.

Looking forward to this winter!

I bought a 2006 C50 Suzuki a few years back as a project. It had the sewing machine noise in the topend common for the model. 23 hours labour $900 in parts. Polished that turd and sold it to someone more capable. Good to know your limits.

I'm going to sharpen and wax my skis.

Bike sits ready to ride whenever there's a break in the weather.

I need to clean or replace my fuel filter. There's a lug in my top end.

1978 CT70! It's a smoker, getting the motor torn down

New air filter is required. I wonder how much of this beast I have to take apart to get at it?

This is sad.
Thousands of members on this site have three winter projects on the go.

Me?
Assemble the pile of parts that is a 1965 Ducati Mach1 into a vintage racer.
Start on the 1967 Ducati Sebring that will be a vintage racer. (Hopefully read for the first rack day next year).
New Cometic copper head and base gasket for the '78 GS1000, and maybe brace the swing arm.
Finally assemble the '73 Ducati GT750 that now has a 900SS crank and top end
Finish the brakes on a '78 Moto Guzzi (get rid of the weird linked brake set up) (Anyone got a round Brembo 17mm master they want to part with?)
Re-wire a '72 Triumph T100R
Put the body work on a '89 Rz350 (that was Gordie Bush's last RZ cup racer. It now has a Wicked ATV Banshee motor that is supposed to be around 100HP and has modern suspension and brakes off a Gixxer)
Going to start looking at making throttle bodies at adapt a Kawi "J" motor to EFI. (Since I already have a killer GS1000, and VRRA changed the rule book I want to build a fuel injected Eddie Lawson... just for laughs).
Just picked up a Honda RC31... don't know what I am doing to it yet... got all winter to figure that out though. Going to get, at least, 41mm cartridge forks, new brakes,a pipe (trying to get Hindle to make me a "one off". Lang's son used to race a RC31) and a new shock.

Those are the main projects... always have some side projects going. Always looking for new (OLD) stuff to play with. Just finished a TZ350 "G", still trying to piece together more....
All in all, a fairly typical winter schedule.

My ST1300 needs some serous love.
1. Fork seal replacement.
2. Either repair of pull out my cruise control.
3. Re-wire all my accessories including GPS
4. Fluid change
5. Remove dent from front wheel
6. Brake service
7. Repair windshield motor / mechanism. It doesn't move automatically anymore.
8. Install accessory lighting.
9. Compound, buff and polish the plastics

Not much this winter,

Replace my broken front turn signal
Install my extra lighting off the forks
Replace my chain/sprockets
Considering changing my bar ends and my levers
Also the engine cover, it got scratched on an offroad adventure
...well the more i write it out the more thing i realize i have to do ahaha

Consolidate my accessories wiring with a Rowe's PDM60 (power distribution module). Will probably wait until it's warmer like early Spring though.

On the R1200RS
* wire up a Neutrino Black Box power controller
* provide power to a tank bag probably using an SAE connector
* heated clothing outlet
* build a powered audio amp and bluetooth receiver into the fairings somewhere
* wire up an Innovv C5 camera system
* wire up the Sargent heated seat
* drill holes in the fuel snorkel to gain a bit of extra capacity
* rekey Givi topbox to accept the BMW ignition key

DL650
* look into ways of mounting plastic panels to block winter airflow around legs and boots

The versys is pretty much change the oil and put it away.
The wife's Gladius is new to us this year so I'll tear it apart and check/adjust/replace the following: valve clearances, sync throttle bodies, air filter, oil, coolant, brake fluid and chain/sprockets.
The only real "project" is the drz400e. It's blue plated but I need to do a few things before spring. Wire in a functioning brake/tailight including brake switches, hi/low beam headlight, horn and mirror and a speedo. Then I'll check valves, carb, all fluids changed and set the suspension up.
In between it all I've got to get my friends atv over here to check valves, carb, and change all fluids.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

The SV needs a valve clearance check, well actually it should have been done last year, but work space is at a premium these days so I either have to take her out to my parent's place or bite the bullet and pay someone to do it for me. I'd rather do it myself because I'm cheap and I enjoy learning new things but we'll see...

Buy a second dirtbike for gnarly singletrack as the 450 is just too much. As I did with the 450 I'll likely buy used and build it into the exact thing I want.

13000 kms on the new bike this year but have to get some warranty work done such as rear wheel bearings and front brake discs. I'll measure supercharger impeller axial run out to see if that's a problem yet. New tires and brakes, clean DNA air filter.

13000 kms on the new bike this year but have to get some warranty work done such as rear wheel bearings and front brake discs. I'll measure supercharger impeller axial run out to see if that's a problem yet. New tires and brakes, clean DNA air filter.

They are touching wear items under warranty? Thumbs up Kawi (assuming H2).

Back
Top Bottom