Snow Blower Recommendations | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snow Blower Recommendations

what was the impeller mod? Got a how to?

Basically you source some thick, tough rubber sheet (like reinforced conveyor belt sheet or thick solid rubber pieces), cut and trim them to size and screw or bolt them to the tips of the impeller. If you look at most 2-stg blowers you'll see a 1/4-1/2" gap between the impeller and the housing. The rubber takes up that space and turns the thing from a "blower" to more like a "compressor." Done right, it results in much better performance because the impeller moves more snow out the chute with each revolution instead of losing it within the housing at the tip.

(Not my machine but similar performance...)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONdFik8kges

Search ebay for "impeller kit" for pre-cut bits and h/ware; e.g.:

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/SNOW-BLOWER...285143?hash=item43d742c157:g:V0sAAOSwv0tVJnPD

Last edited:
Honda :). As has been said, once I stepped up to a Honda snowblower I've never looked back. Perfect reliability, easy start, strong, simple and robust. I chose the smaller two stage 22 inch wide track model. Easy to store and use. It will not bog on anything and throws the snow 45 feet. I ran pure slush and ice through it a few times without missing a beat because spring and why not.

People also swear by the smaller single stage Honda models if you want.
https://www.thespruce.com/difference-between-single-and-two-stage-gas-snow-blowers-2132978
https://www.consumerreports.org/cro...ch-type-of-snow-blower-should-i-buy/index.htm

Last edited:
shhhh riding season hasn't finished!!

Sent from my iPad using GTAMotorcycle.com

...Got kids and shovels for cheap labor. Problem is, they only know video games....
I had the same issue a few years back -- you just need to learn how to use a kick start.

OP - Do you NEED a dual stage snowblower? Huge to store. Many moving parts. Heavy.
I bought a Toro Power Clear 721 E a few winters ago. Single stage to keep things simple. Deeper the snow, the further it throws it. Starts first pull every time. Haven't even tried the electric start because its so easy to pull.

OP - Do you NEED a dual stage snowblower? Huge to store. Many moving parts. Heavy.
I bought a Toro Power Clear 721 E a few winters ago. Single stage to keep things simple. Deeper the snow, the further it throws it. Starts first pull every time. Haven't even tried the electric start because its so easy to pull.

I'm still questioning if I need a blower at all. Everything is under consideration.

I want to avoid some of those electric or small petro power units that seem to be glorified brooms or crappy dust busters.

Otherwise, as long as it is fairly easy to operate, does a good job and reasonably cheap, I'm totally getting one.

And the wife approves. Lol.

If it rains all winter because I bought a snow blower, everyone can thank me. Unless you enjoy winter activities. Which I know many do. Lol.

I have a single stage and for 90% of the kind of snow we get here in eastern Ontario by the lake it's fine. The heavy wet stuff isn't moved as well but it will do it as long as there isn't too much of it. Added bonus is that the belts and everything else are easy to replace myself.

If you get a petrol single stage, try to find one with a 4-stroke.

Even at a 50:1 premix I found two-stroke exhaust really stank up my clothing.

Single-stagers also don't work that well on uneven surfaces. Puddles and slushy **** can spray back at your feet if you lift them even a bit or encounter a puddle at the uneven bit at the end of your driveway. As well, they're pretty easy to clog with heavier, slushier/wetter snow.

Get a Honda and it will be the last snowblower you will ever have to buy.My 30 year old 8 horsepower Honda will bury a 13 horsepower Craftsman in snow.My driveway is over 250’ long and the Honda walks through it even in the heaviest snowfalls.

Fk, $2500 for a "cheap" Honda.

Everybody’s going to laugh, but I have a Toro electric power shovel, and not even the big one – the little 10 inch cut model that’s only advertised for up to 4 or 5 inches of snow. I laugh with the neighbors that it’s made by Fisher-Price.

But truth be told, it’s perfectly fine for 95% of the snowfalls that we get.

Yes, the fact that it’s corded is a bit of a pain in the butt (although it always starts, that’s a plus!), but honestly it gets the job done, and even on the 5% of storms where it’s outclassed, with patience, even then it still gets the job done eventually - just have to take smaller bites. It will even eventually even (with some lifting and cutting) work its way through the slushy wind row at the end of the driveway from the plow.

Beats shoveling any day still.

Best part is that at the end of the season I lift it up onto a hook in the rafters of the garage with one hand and it’s completely out of my way for the summer. And it requires zero maintenance.

Last edited:
Fk, $2500 for a "cheap" Honda.
That's for a two stage snowblower. Honda single stage snowblowers start below $1k and are leaders in their category as well. Even with the premium price of two stage Honda snowblowers there is universal praise for the product. It's nice to see Honda with a broad range of offerings.

We don't get consistent snow fall in niagara, but when we do its usually lake effect from erie, and it can be heavy. I bought a 24" husqvarna from CT for under $1000 a few years ago, I doubt a $2500 honda will outlast it 2.5 times when it runs only a few hours per year.

Most blowers are made in China super factory . They are pretty well all thee same except the colours for diffrence makers . My Poulan from Costco is falling apart after 5 years . I already had to replace the belt . I'm hoping one or two me years . My last blower looked like crap but it worked . It was over 20 year old . Take a closer look at the blowers . You will notice all the same except colour . My poulan is exactly the same as Mastercraft except the clour. If my current one goes Honda it is . Buy quality costs more but lasts .

Back
Top Bottom