Snow Blower Recommendations | GTAMotorcycle.com

Snow Blower Recommendations

nakkers

Site Supporter
The new place has a wide and long driveway. Got kids and shovels for cheap labor. Problem is, they only know video games.

I'm in St Catharines so, winter snow fall can vary. When in London, I could count on snow. Here? Maybe I wait it out and bite the bullet if I can't get the kids to shove and my back give out?

Checking the usual spots, Canadian Tire, Lowes, Sears,

And used, kijiji

Thinking 24" minimum width, avoid plastic chute, don't care if it has a light. Don't need several forward speeds.

Suggestions, recommendations? Who has done the dance and can share some insight to their journey? Any regrets or the best money spent?

I have a small and light 2-stroke snow thrower (Toro S200 20" 2.5hp) that my neighbours describe as a special kind of loud. It is from the late 70's or early 80's and a neighbour threw it out because the points were being uncooperative. A neighbour has a proper large snowblower.

For anything under 4" deep the Toro wins. It is small and fast and easy to get around vehicles. It may not be much faster than shovelling due to the relatively narrow path, but it is a hell of a lot easier (especially since given the layout of driveways, I have to get all the snow to one side which requires reshovelling it). Over 4" he pulls all of his cars out of the driveway and pulls out the big blower. The big blower by necessity leaves a layer of snow while the Toro gets right to the asphalt/interlock with its rubber paddles. In the past few years he only pulls the big one out a few times a year.

In university I had a 12" 2-stroke powershovel (Toro 38350). That one was too small.

If you can find a gas snowthrower for cheap (I haven't paid more than $15 for one and when running they are easy to sell for $50 to $100) it is worth a shot. It certainly is a lot cheaper and uses up a lot less space in your garage than a proper snowblower and you may find that it works for 95% of your snowfalls (and for the heavier snowfalls you break out child labour).

Bite the bullet and buy a Honda or Yamaha self-propelled model (not some knockoff with a Honda engine).
They are a lot of $$$ but always start/run, you can source parts, and you'll get some money back if and when you sell it.

Agree with TK4.

1st choice: Honda
2nd choice:Honda
3rd choice: Honda

Same with Lawnmowers.

I have this one, and love it, works on the light fluffy stuff, and does a good job on the heavy wet stuff, can clog if it's very wet, it's easy to move around, has all that I want or need even though I only have a 4 car driveway, but I can do my driveway and the neighbours on either side of me, before the guy across the street does just his own using a shovel....And I don't feel like I went 10 rounds with Muhammad Ali.....

no issues with the plastic chute, no issues with the joystick, actually in the 7-8 years I have owned this snowblower, I have not had any issues,,,,,I actually just pulled it out of the shed last weekend, topped up the gas tank, pulled the cord 2x and she started right up,,,,good to go for this winter.

The only time I don't use it is if there is a light dusting of snow, anything more than that and she is used, no back aches....ever.....

https://www.rona.ca/en/2-stage-snowblower-24-yellow-208-cc-80495132

80495132_L.jpg

2-Stage Snowblower - 24" - Yellow - 208 CC
This self-propelled Cub Cadet 2-stage snow blower is ready to take on your snow removal needs. With a working width of 24 inches (60.96 cm), it can help clear your path or driveway easily. The X-Trac tires deliver great maneuverability, while the heated hand grips keep you working in comfort. The snow blower has 6 forward and two reverse speeds for excellent control, and the joystick lets you direct the snow with ease. 3-year limited warranty.

If you want/can get them on the Credit Card the stores offer, when they have it for Zero percent over 12 months, that way you can pay it off monthly and incur no interest charges, it's how I did it, 100 a month over 12 months

Last edited:
Agree with the above. If you are spending a decent amount of coin on this project, buy a Honda. Friends that have them have never had a problem (I am still running a 1985 Honda mower that starts first pull).

I like buying from IHL (good prices, good people), but check their price against the local shop. Keeping the local guy in business is always a good idea if they are competitive.

Last edited:
Agree with TK4.

1st choice: Honda
2nd choice:Honda
3rd choice: Honda

Same with Lawnmowers.

Agree 100%, however I have had nothing but luck with my Ariens from Home Depot!

The cub cadet 24" mentioned previously works well. I've had one for a couple years without issue. There aren't a lot of options, most of the standard ones out there are made by MTD, which is why they all pretty much look the same. There are slight variations between them depending on your price point. Electric start works great, I'd recommend getting one with it for those cold days.

Great advice folks. Thank you. Not sure if I, going to drop the coin on new or find a deal via kijiji.

Great advice folks. Thank you. Not sure if I, going to drop the coin on new or find a deal via kijiji.

Before dropping substantial money, at the very least talk to your neighbours or get through a winter. I know many people with huge *** snowblowers that ran the day they came home from the store and not many more times. They found that they weren't really needed for their properties and pulling out the snowblower from behind the vehicles was more work than shovelling much of the time.

Before dropping substantial money, at the very least talk to your neighbours or get through a winter. I know many people with huge *** snowblowers that ran the day they came home from the store and not many more times. They found that they weren't really needed for their properties and pulling out the snowblower from behind the vehicles was more work than shovelling much of the time.

Last year I ran mine twice and the year before maybe once. Global warming??

Previous years it got enough use to warrant ownership but we had some elderly neighbours I used to help out. They've moved and my driveway isn't that big.

Mine is a Sears 24" 7HP. You need the HP to throw heavy Toronto snow. What do you get in the Kitts?

In Ottawa the snow is light and fluffy so you can get away with a lighter machine.

Two stage throws the snow further so if you get repeated snowfalls your driveway doesn't end up with a high snowbank along the edge.

If you have to clear between two houses the two stage will push it out further where a single will bog down in its own drifts.

24" gets through the shed door.

FWIW

Lol. Yup! I'm getting to know the neighbours. Asked about things like this to who has the best pizza.

Our lane way is double wide AND its along side our neighbours lane way that is regular width.

So, I asked them about snow removal, does the snow drift from one property to the other etc.

Was told the previous owner only shoved a path to their vehicle and never shovelled the whole drive way. They clear their own by shovel and sometimes just enough of my lane way for the previous owner to get in.

Asked about getting a snowblower. Don't think they have lived here very long? But, it's not on their priority list and will keep shovelling.

Likely will just see how things go this winter without. And if it gets too much, I'll have someone clear it for me or, I pay the full freight on what ever is left in the middle/end of season if I'm fed up.

But, I like to get feedback and validation.

If I was back in London, it's a no brainer, I'd get one. St Kitts? Last year was mild. The year before we had snow in October through to March. So, I'm not sure. Lol

I have a Craftsman/Sears somewhere around 25-30 years old. Self driven track. Use multiple forward speeds depending on the weight of the snow. 24" wide, no light, all metal. IIRC it's about 4hp, so could use more there, but that's about all it needs. Still gets the job done, just use the slower speeds for heavy snow. Only used it a handful of times each season over the last few years.

Just get a Honda, you won't go wrong.

I had an 11/32 model I bought 13 years ago used from an old lady whose husband died. sold it last year as I upgraded to a John Deere tractor blower and got what I paid for the Honda back as it held its value and kept it in great shape.

amazing quality, ran beautifullly.

The new place has a wide and long driveway. Got kids and shovels for cheap labor. Problem is, they only know video games.

Ask once nicely....and if they don't do as asked, change the wifi password.

Then tell them they can have the new password once they've done as asked.

Repeat as required. Add a 1 hour delay to being given new password after task is completed if you need to resort to this tactic too frequently.

Works like a charm. Trust me.

I bought a 24" MTD 5hp 15 yrs ago . It gets a new plug every fall and fresh gas, usually goes on the second pull. Last few yrs it only runs 3-5 times a season, but I'll pull it out and walk behind for 1-2" , for me its clearing the wall the plow leaves that makes it golden.

For $699 15 yrs ago, its been just fine. I'm severely allergic to shovels.

I don't have a ton of space to store a big bulky machine so I bought one similar to this off kijiji a few years ago:

31A-32AD706_product_listing.png

Pretty simple: 24" maw, one forward speed, gotta pull it to reverse but it's a two stager.

I heaved the OE 5HP Tecumseh and repowered with a 7HP Predator (well, "Rato" here in Canada) and did an "impeller mod" (get the impeller to fit more closely to the housing to improve performance in slush and to improve throwing distance.) Does everything I need and folds into a bitty little thing between the garbage can and the bike in the garage.

A true-blue Honda machine seems so nice but f*ck me it's an expensive proposition for something that gets used just a few times a year.

Back
Top Bottom