Washer & Dryer Recommendation | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Washer & Dryer Recommendation

I've always been a Whirlpool fan. They make great appliances when it comes to anything with water. Some of their stuff is made in germany.

Other than that, Samsung makes excellent washers and dryers.

My best advice on ANY appliance purchase. get the extended warranty.

I believe Whirpool is the largest manufacturer. They own Maytag and also produce stuff for others. Inglis might be one of them.

But they all have entry level products and high end stuff along with in between.

I was anti extended warranty for the longest time. But I’m a convert now. At least depending on who is selling it. Some are better than others.

It’s a few bucks but, easier to manage if something happens.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice.

I’m now looking into price guarantees. Some offer 30 days. Other 60 days. And with Black Friday and Boxing Week, want to make sure we get a decent price. Looking into things like, exceptions for limited quantity or no applicable for special events etc.

Best Buy and Lowe’s say, price guarantee is just that. If it’s on sale Black Friday or any other time, we get the lowest price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best Buy and Lowe’s say, price guarantee is just that. If it’s on sale Black Friday or any other time, we get the lowest price.

I had a nightmare of a time trying to get Home Depot to price match before. They don't even have a written price match policy. They point to the sign that says we match competitors prices with a star on it and continue to make up conditions that the star represents until you give up. They said it had to be a printed ad (so I gave them the ad), they said it had to be in stock but they were prohibited from contacting the other store to check stock (so I went a bought one at the other store to prove stock), they said that still doesn't prove that there is more stock as I could have bought the last one. Grrr. I returned the one I bought at the other store to HD and never bought another tool from HD.

Lowes price match was much easier, here's an ad that shows cheaper than you, they sell me the item for the lower price minus 10% of the difference. Easy peasy, happy experience.

I had the opposite experience. I called Lowes on a speakerphone in front of a Home Depot employee to ask about the price on a model of dryer and had them repeat the appliance code number and colour and price. Then the Home Depot employee said "yup, I'll price match and beat that". It would have been even easier if it was a web advertised price but this was an in store only price from Lowes. I ended up saving about $200 bucks with 10 minutes work.

Same boat as the OP. New house has older washer and even older dryer. But both work. Dryer is a bit of an eye sore but again, it works. I'm not buying new ones as this house is a flip anyways but looked around on kijiji. Frigidaire units at great prices and then I looked at online reviews and will never touch one. Always found the Inglis and GE models were very reliable so those would/are my go-to.

Recently moved and lost the front load Samsung units in the previous house. New place has old top load washer and equivalent dryer.

Should just leave this to the wife to decide.

Anyways.........anyone updated their set recently? Price point, features you can't live without? Brands?

I'm hearing Samsung and LG are the go to. Steam? Adding to the wash? Value to features? More stuff to go wrong?

Is it me or has the price points increased in the last few years? A grand for a washer and another thousand for a dryer?
Samsung dryers in my experience are terrible got top of the line dryer with the steamer blah blah lasted 18months
Btw... if ya want less then half price new appliances check out these guys

Wisebuy
385 Carlingveiw Dr.,

(647)328-6558

STORE HOURS
Mon - Fri: 10am-6pm
Sat: 10am-5:30pm
Sun: 11 am - 4:00 pm

have done lots of flips and they are my go to for appliances did my own kitchen all top teir kitchenaide ....double door fridge ice maker and water along with great stove and dishwasher and hood fan for less then 4000. The fridge alone at home depot or any other supllier was going for 2999.
Check them out they get major shipments all the top brands dirt cheap

Washer & Dryer Recommendation

Thanks for the referrals. My wife used to sell appliances at Leons and has some connections. After researching and some input I provided from friends here, she decided on LG.

Turbo wash, steam, sanitize etc.

Stock is limited so, they had to juggle some things to get them to us on Sunday.

Free delivery and hoses, take the old units out of the house. We get Black Friday pricing now and price guarantee for 120 days.

Thanks again for the information, recommendations, insight. It is very much valued and appreciated.

Re: Washer & Dryer Recommendation

Thanks for the referrals. My wife used to sell appliances at Leons and has some connections. After researching and some input I provided from friends here, she decided on LG.

Turbo wash, steam, sanitize etc.

Stock is limited so, they had to juggle some things to get them to us on Sunday.

Free delivery and hoses, take the old units out of the house. We get Black Friday pricing now and price guarantee for 120 days.

Thanks again for the information, recommendations, insight. It is very much valued and appreciated.

LG? Get the super extended warranty

LG? Get the super extended warranty

Yup, got the extended warranty. Wouldn’t matter the brand, they all have similar failure rates.

Apparently LG improved their service and parts with a huge warehouse in the GTA in the last couple of years. So when they require a service call, response times are within a couple of days. Samsung and other can be weeks depending on the parts etc.

The current issue with LG is supply of new units. Lots of back ordered stock and delays on shipment.

Things change rather quickly in the industry. Or so I’m told. Think Panasonic and plasma TVs. Or Sony. Now it’s Samsung.

With appliances, LG is making a move on Samsung and Whirlpool.

Whirlpool is still good.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/exploding-washing-machine-knocks-out-minnesota-mom-doing-laundry/

If you google you will see examples of other makes 'exploding' as well.

Bring back the wringer washer and clotheslines

We have a clothes line and use it and love it. Not always practical when the weather doesn't cooperate.

I remember the wringer washer and almost lost my fingers a few times. Back when Mom washed diapers for my twin sisters. I'm 7 years older and often got roped in to help.

We turn down the spin cycle on ours. The default spins way too fast. It’d be good if there was a way to default it to a slower speed, and extra rinse.

@nakkers and others, my only advice here is to opt for the steel braided hoses. I've read in more than one place that plumbers and insurance companies say that a blown rubber washer hose is the #1 reason for basement flooding.

sent from my Purple LGG4 on the GTAM app

@nakkers and others, my only advice here is to opt for the steel braided hoses. I've read in more than one place that plumbers and insurance companies say that a blown rubber washer hose is the #1 reason for basement flooding.

Heard the same about toilet lines. A guy I used to work with suffered major water damage when his 3rd floor toilet line blew when they were on vacation for a week.

Yup. Excellent that you mentioned it.

Pretty much every retailer will make it part of the sale.

Best Buy includes installation with their $50 delivery but, they stipulate new steel braided hoses must be with the washer. (Don't have to buy them from Best Buy but, must be new)

We got them included in the purchase.

I think if you use regular hoses, it could void a warrant claim. Could be wrong.

Yup, got the extended warranty. Wouldn’t matter the brand, they all have similar failure rates.

Apparently LG improved their service and parts with a huge warehouse in the GTA in the last couple of years. So when they require a service call, response times are within a couple of days. Samsung and other can be weeks depending on the parts etc.

The current issue with LG is supply of new units. Lots of back ordered stock and delays on shipment.

Things change rather quickly in the industry. Or so I’m told. Think Panasonic and plasma TVs. Or Sony. Now it’s Samsung.

With appliances, LG is making a move on Samsung and Whirlpool.

Whirlpool is still good.

LG will always live in Samsungs shadow. Whether its Washers or cell phones, they are perceived as a lesser brand to Samsung and I agree.

Having said that, I still think Sony makes a better overall TV and image sensors (they supply the camera for all iPhone and Pixels and others) than Samsung.

Panasonic pivoted, and I think its a brilliant strategy on their part. They are focusing on battery tech and they are very good at it. They locked a deal with Tesla for supply and no doubt as electric cars explode, Panny will be there to gobble up as much market share as they can.

excellent advice. I spec braided hoses on all my installs. cheap insurance.

Wait Honda doesnt make a washer/dryer and Sunny says another brand could be ok at something? Did the earths rotation reverse?

Wait Honda doesnt make a washer/dryer and Sunny says another brand could be ok at something? Did the earths rotation reverse?
<Peeks out window>.... Nah!

Washer &amp; Dryer Recommendation

Update: for anyone considering new washer and dryer.

There are some difference between Samsung and LG design that might be of interest.

Samsung has the feature to add a garment during a wash cycle. It’s a small door that pops open. The pro is you can add during anytime of the wash. The con, the door size limits what you can add. For instance a towel might be a little too big. A dress shirt, not a problem.

For LG, you can pause the cycle and open the door and add what ever you like. You can’t pause during spin/rinse. So you have to add it during the begining of the wash cycle.

Load balancing. Samsung has drum bearings that adjust and move during the rinse and spin cycle. Slight vibration, adjustment and it keeps going.

LG - will slow/stop and attempt to adjust the wash load to obtain its balance. This impacts the effectiveness of the rinse cycle. Clothes may come out more damp and require longer dryer time.

We probably would have liked Samsung better since we had them in the past.

We are just learning the differences. Clothes are much softer and look much better than the old top load Inglis units.

Last edited:
Re: Washer &amp; Dryer Recommendation

Update: for anyone considering new washer and dryer.

There are some difference between Samsung and LG design that might be of interest.

Samsung has the feature to add a garment during a wash cycle. It’s a small door that pops open. The pro is you can add during anytime of the wash. The con, the door size limits what you can add. For instance a towel might be a little too big. A dress shirt, not a problem.

For LG, you can pause the cycle and open the door and add what ever you like. You can’t pause during spin/rinse. So you have to add it during the begining of the wash cycle.

Load balancing. Samsung has drum bearings that adjust and move during the rinse and spin cycle. Slight vibration, adjustment and it keeps going.

LG - will slow/stop and attempt to adjust the wash load to obtain its balance. This impacts the effectiveness of the rinse cycle. Clothes may come out more damp and require longer dryer time.

We probably would have liked Samsung better since we had them in the past.

We are just learning the differences. Clothes are much softer and look much better than the old top load Inglis units.

Thanks for this, I like the nerdy details when it comes to cars and appliances.

I've always recommended and bought Whirlpool stuff for years and always had great results. Just recently, steered my parents to the Samsung and so far all seems good. 10 year warranty on the motor. I just hope other components don't breakdown as besides the motor, electronics typically go next, but I'm betting with their expertise in electronics and circuit boards, they should get something right? Time will be the revealer.

Re: Washer &amp; Dryer Recommendation

Thanks for this, I like the nerdy details when it comes to cars and appliances.

I've always recommended and bought Whirlpool stuff for years and always had great results. Just recently, steered my parents to the Samsung and so far all seems good. 10 year warranty on the motor. I just hope other components don't breakdown as besides the motor, electronics typically go next, but I'm betting with their expertise in electronics and circuit boards, they should get something right? Time will be the revealer.
Their weakness is not the motors or valves but the main board & circuitry

Back
Top Bottom