Washer & Dryer Recommendation | GTAMotorcycle.com

Washer & Dryer Recommendation

nakkers

Site Supporter
Recently moved and lost the front load Samsung units in the previous house. New place has old top load washer and equivalent dryer.

Should just leave this to the wife to decide.

Anyways.........anyone updated their set recently? Price point, features you can't live without? Brands?

I'm hearing Samsung and LG are the go to. Steam? Adding to the wash? Value to features? More stuff to go wrong?

Is it me or has the price points increased in the last few years? A grand for a washer and another thousand for a dryer?

Check some of the 'not big box' stores, sometimes people upgrade their appliances when they move into a condo and you can p/u something brand new but a lot less $$$.

My brother had bad experience with Samsung. Aren't samsung also the ones that were tearing themselves apart (literally a catastrophic failure with parts flying everywhere)?

I haven't heard any real advantage of steam. I think it's mainly a marketing trick (especially for the dryers using municipal water). If I wanted a steam generator to last I would sure as hell be running distilled water through it or it will plug up quickly (and spit the chunks of minerals into the clean laundry?).

I have heard some people like the tiny secondary washing machine that some models provide on top or in the base, but it seems like a toy for rich people when you look at cost/benefit.

Look up Teletime. I bought a tv from them. They offer good prices.

Look up Teletime. I bought a tv from them. They offer good prices.

Frontload Frigidaire washer and dryer for $680? If that price is real, I might just do that and quit researching. I am sure there are better units, but given the price difference, I am not sure there will be a better value.

don't know if it still applies as branding has obscured where/how things are made

but used to be good rule that if it handles water, get a Maytag

dryer don't matter, you get sick of looking at them before they break

We have front load Whirlpool. Toronto house has been for over a dozen years now. Washer in the new house tore the door gasket in the first couple of months, it was fixed under warranty. Repairman told us that it was most likely zippers or steel buttons on jeans that got caught and then pulled. Since then we've followed his advice to turn them inside out and button zip them up and no further issues. That was over 5 years ago. The other thing he said for dryers was to keep the clothing materials similar. If you throw towels in with quick drying stuff, the drying sensors get thrown off.

We have a new Samsung steam dryer. It's been working fine but the steam function isn't a game changer. It does get rid of some wrinkles but you'll still need to break the iron out occasionally.

Thanks guys. Much better info than what I can google. Most of the stuff you find is stuff put out by the manufactures. They even make the descriptions of the stuff for sale hard to find. Or at lease make it hard to compare similar featured models and price points.

I don't necessarily trust sales associates. They get paid commission and sometimes steer you towards stuff you don't need. Then again, seasoned pros want happy customers to return for repeat business. Others don't care and if the stuff craps out, they blame the manufacture and gives them more amo to up sell the extended warranties.

I've read steam for the washer is good for towels, sanitizing and clothes that get soiled frequently.

Stream for the dryer, don't want additional water hook up but, it's appealing to have the non iron dress shirts come out without needing an iron? Lol.

Great tips on things to avoid. Much appreciated.

Oh, forgot to mention that we almost never use the steam. We did when we first got the set, but it's not very practical for what we wash. It adds 30 + minutes to the cycle and can only be used with the hot water setting. The dryer steam wrinkle shield may be more practical if you don't get your clothes out right away.

Oh, forgot to mention that we almost never use the steam. We did when we first got the set, but it's not very practical for what we wash. It adds 30 + minutes to the cycle and can only be used with the hot water setting. The dryer steam wrinkle shield may be more practical if you don't get your clothes out right away.

Excellent info. Thanks again. Thought about it. New toy features and if the novelty wears off etc. The added time is a deterrent, certainly along with the added expense of hot water etc.

You don't miss what you never had is suppose.

I can say the current top load sux big time. Miss the front load we had previously. We know it's killing our clothes as the lint accumulation is more than before, cloths feel rough and some balling on the material. We said to ourselves, we'd give it some time and see how it works out. So far, we need to wash more, takes longer, and doesn't do a good job.

Was wondering about waiting put until "Black Friday"?

Many stores have price guarantees for X number of days/months etc.

But, I'm sure there are exclusions and exceptions etc.

The extra water hook up isn't an issue, Samsung driers seem to come with all the hardware you need, a Y connection and hose. If you need to get one kits are about $29 from any hardware store.

My appliance repair friend says dont touch Samsung, there are three circuit boards in the washers, expensive and almost not worth repairing if it craps.

I have GE front load, high capacity, low water use and matching gas dryer. I've used steam , I'd never pay extra for it, stuff still needs pressed to look sharp.

There is always a sale on someplace.

My appliance repair friend says dont touch Samsung, there are three circuit boards in the washers, expensive and almost not worth repairing if it craps.

I have GE front load, high capacity, low water use and matching gas dryer. I've used steam , I'd never pay extra for it, stuff still needs pressed to look sharp.

We were told the same thing but Samsung has recently revamped their supply chain for parts and their customer service has improved. Also some models aren't good but others are fine. Read reviews.

I just repaired a 10 yr old one. It was a relay on the board. I got a board for $200

Recently moved and lost the front load Samsung units in the previous house. New place has old top load washer and equivalent dryer.

Is there anything wrong with the older units? Do they clean and dry the clothes? If so, then why replace them?

We also just moved and had to buy a new washer and dryer because the former owners took them when they left. We bought an LG pair, but if they had left us with a top load set, it would have been preferable to spending just over 2 grand on a new set.

Oh and by the way, good luck if you buy from Home Depot. Their delivery company (Ovation) never delivered our dryer. They said it was not received from LG, while LG has paperwork saying the opposite. I spent three weeks trying to get action through the Home Depot call centre and was getting nowhere, (a completely frustrating experience). Finally after threatening to cancel the entire sale the Orangeville store manager did the right thing and had their floor model delivered by his local delivery company. He personally came and installed the pair (stacking) and also gave us a $250 refund for the inconvenience of waiting over three weeks to get the dryer.

Washer & Dryer Recommendation

Is there anything wrong with the older units? Do they clean and dry the clothes? If so, then why replace them?

We also just moved and had to buy a new washer and dryer because the former owners took them when they left. We bought an LG pair, but if they had left us with a top load set, it would have been preferable to spending just over 2 grand on a new set.

Oh and by the way, good luck if you buy from Home Depot. Their delivery company (Ovation) never delivered our dryer. They said it was not received from LG, while LG has paperwork saying the opposite. I spent three weeks trying to get action through the Home Depot call centre and was getting nowhere, (a completely frustrating experience). Finally after threatening to cancel the entire sale the Orangeville store manager did the right thing and had their floor model delivered by his local delivery company. He personally came and installed the pair (stacking) and also gave us a $250 refund for the inconvenience of waiting over three weeks to get the dryer.

Malks,

We gave them a honest to goodness try. They are Inglis units. The previous owner was a bachelor and everything well taken care of. For example, the oven was never used.

The issues are: it's harder on the clothes. You can feel the difference. There is more lint. We have some damage, which is likely from over loading. So, we have adjusted for that.

Which has led to more washes. We don't wash during the day and evenings are busy. But, we fit them in as well as weekends.

More water, more time, harder on the clothes.....

We kind of anticipated the expense of replacing them. But, honestly we would rather save our money or allocate funds to other things.

The saying goes, happy wife........

And she does the majority of the laundry.

Last edited:
I've always been a Whirlpool fan. They make great appliances when it comes to anything with water. Some of their stuff is made in germany.

Other than that, Samsung makes excellent washers and dryers.

My best advice on ANY appliance purchase. get the extended warranty.

I have in the past had nightmarish customer service from Whirlpool, so we avoid them and any of their sub-brands (which is getting hard to do).

As for washer and dryer. We went GE a year ago. HE Top load washer (no front load issues for me) and front load dryer. They have the most important features.... you put dry dirty stuff (and soap) in the washer and it comes out wet but clean. Clean wet stuff into the dryer comes out dry and clean! Brilliant.

Not much help for the OP but for anyone in the GTA I have had nothing but top notch customer service (and great prices) from Faulkner's Appliance on Lake Shore near Kipling (2880 Lake Shore Boulevard W. Etobicoke, ON M8V 1J2).

Back
Top Bottom