Should I buy a bike now or next season? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Should I buy a bike now or next season?

KLR650 fit you nicely at 35"

The new Versys 300 would be fun

Both are completely difference riding styles so "fun" is relative to what you're looking for. If I wanted to ride through turns and curves and was handed a KLR, I wouldn't be having fun....or at least not as much fun as the cbr or ninja.

Also, the Versys 300 is such a new model, very difficult to find used and won't find one around the 3k mark easily.

A good place to start if you're looking for something you want to be able to put your feet flat on the ground but that's about all you learn from that number. That was the point with the Ducati reference.

If you want to compare apples and apples, my Street Triple 675 (with aftermarket seat) has the same seat height as the Daytona 675. Same chassis but completely different riding positions.

The Honda CBR 500s are built for smaller riders, the CB500x is a full sized bike.

Also...the newer (I think 2012 or 13 onward) CBR500, CB500F and CB500X are the same chassis and engine just different seat and bars (CBX only 20cm higher seat) in regards to riding position. They're all "full size".

Rake and trail are suited to their intended riding styles and the CBX has a longer suspension travel. Again, supposed to be suited to it's intended use.

Last edited:
Both are completely difference riding styles so "fun" is relative to what you're looking for. If I wanted to ride through turns and curves and was handed a KLR, I wouldn't be having fun....or at least not as much fun as the cbr or ninja.
I had a KLR and used to ride Southwood, the 518, all around Calabogie and so many more twisty bits with that thing. It was a hoot!
It was just gutless on the highway, especially 2up, so I sold it.

I had a KLR and used to ride Southwood, the 518, all around Calabogie and so many more twisty bits with that thing. It was a hoot!
It was just gutless on the highway, especially 2up, so I sold it.

Okay, maybe me saying wouldn't have fun on it for street riding was a bit harsh...but it wouldn't be my first choice though.

It wouldn't be my first choice either for twisty paved roads and since they are kinds slow they are hard to get speeding tickets on. Also, it's one the ugliest bikes ever made, so at least no one will steal it:)
Good first bike though.

if he's looking at ninjas hes likely not interested in a KLR
he may down the road decide he likes dual sport riding

encouraging something that limited for a first bike is not helping the guy

chances of a used KLR getting stolen are lower however
but if the bad guys do steal it, they'd prolly bring it right back

Do you not understand that the OP Is 6' 3" new rider with a limited budget. :rolleyes:

Yes...and that's why I pointed out the Versey 300 won't be found for the price point he's mentioned. It's a brand new model and incredibly difficult to find used. Do you just type and not read?

The 6-3 part has nothing to do with seat height. As I've pointed out, a taller seat does not mean instantly appropriate for a taller rider and their desired riding position. It ONLY illustrates if someone can put their feet on the ground.

Also as I illustrated with my own street bike, seat heights can be changed anyway. Footpeg placement can also be changed but usually only to a more aggressive position.

anywho....

...main point, don't rely on numbers to find your comfort. Go and sit on bikes!!! Keep in mind, minor changes can be made to bar position and seat height but come at an added expense.

Seat height makes a difference if you are new and can't touch the ground comfortable. Likely not an issue for the OP, but for many it is.

Go and sit on them, this point its impossible to test ride one

I recently sat on an(2017) R6...that shattered all hopes of ever owning a SS...the INSTANT i sat on it, my right hip cramped up, had to get the **** off pronto. Asap.

SS are not made for 6'2 200+ pounders with long legs...
Felt like a giant trying to fit in a little go kart or something

#sadface

Last edited:
The second i put my feet on the pegs, felt like i was doing those ab crunch machines at the gym, hip just went apeshit

I hear you ....even my CBF can be hard on my hips despite the upright seating as it's so small and I'm 5' 9" ...going to raise the seat a notch next riding season to change the knee angle - bit of pain to do but I intend lots of km next spring.

A 6' 3" rider gonna hurt on most sport seating after a couple of hours.
My kid is 6' and he was a mess after a Quebec ride on his SV650s - barely made it home.
The FZ08 tho is just fine. He 10k km in 3 weeks and mikjely more comfortable than me on the Wee with fancy dan seat.

There is some reason that light and short win

Now in road racing, it seems the best of the best (ie. Rossi, Ukawa, Capirossi, Katoh) are all 5'6", and even our Canadian boy Duhamel (5'6") and American boy Nicky Hayden (5'7") are all short. Therefore, would it be safe to assume based on the MotoGP, AMA Superbike, and AMA Supersport champions that the ideal height for road racing is 5'6" to 5'7"? If this were the case, I would be too tall for roadracing Not to mention the fact that most of these guys are between 115lbs - 140lbs.

If we all lived in northern PA then a sport seating bike would be terrific ...as it is ...it's 2 -4 hours to decent roads and upright is hellish easier in traffic.

Last edited:
I have also a 2016 CB500FA, at 5’6” it is perfect. Can ride all day without squirming!
Wait for the shows in January/February. Deals can be had usually on last years models. Also most will store for spring pick up.

Last edited:
Ok so i rode the ninja 300, was FUN FUN FUN. But compared to my 500x, felt like a toy as it was a bunch smaller. Power is similar (just gotta get used to the different rev range to get power)

Gotta say i didn't take it on the highway, just around town up to 100 kph. I think there might be a bigger difference around those speeds north of 100kph, but yeah, at 5'8" i found it smallish but still fun so definitely look for something in the range of say, the 650s for size, or at a minimum the 500x...which i flat foot easily but you might find is too small, just like i found the 300 too small.

Ok so i rode the ninja 300, was FUN FUN FUN. But compared to my 500x, felt like a toy as it was a bunch smaller. Power is similar (just gotta get used to the different rev range to get power)

Gotta say i didn't take it on the highway, just around town up to 100 kph. I think there might be a bigger difference around those speeds north of 100kph, but yeah, at 5'8" i found it smallish but still fun so definitely look for something in the range of say, the 650s for size, or at a minimum the 500x...which i flat foot easily but you might find is too small, just like i found the 300 too small.

Yeah for sure, highway is where you'll notice the biggest difference in acceleration. But a 300 with stock gearing will still accelerate from 100 to 130/140 probably as fast as most cars on the road. If it's geared down, would be quicker than cars in that range. You'll also be super high 6th gear at 140.

CBR 650 is more of a sporty riding position vs CBR500.
Ninja 650 is a bit more relaxed and probably closer to the CB500F than the X model.
Ninja 650 can be found cheapest of them all too.

Interesting..I'm 5"10 and ride an R3 and i find i'm not cramped at all. GF has a Ninja 300 and i don't enjoy sitting on it like i do my bike, i chalked it up to a different riding position but perhaps i do feel more cramped up on it.

Interesting..I'm 5"10 and ride an R3 and i find i'm not cramped at all. GF has a Ninja 300 and i don't enjoy sitting on it like i do my bike, i chalked it up to a different riding position but perhaps i do feel more cramped up on it.
Meh iv ridden 250s for days on end without issues and im 6'2 really depends on age and fitness level

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom